Questions about 'University Physics with Modern Physics (13th Ed)@

In summary, the speakers discuss the high price of a textbook and the option of using an international edition. They also mention potential issues with problem numbering and suggest alternatives such as buying older editions or finding free copies online. They also recommend asking the professor for problem numbers in the older edition.
fb0
Hi,
Does anyone have any experience with the international edition of the above textbook? I got my reading list out today and almost had a heart attack at the price of the standard edition, so I had a look at the international edition. It looks good but I read that some STEM international texts have issues with numbering of problems (or even having them in the first place). If anyone has used this in their classes and can help clarify the situation that would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

I prefer old editions, myself. If you buy two editions old on Amazon, the price will usually be under $5. As for graded homework problems, I usually just did them in the library using their copy while keeping my old edition at home for reading and additional practice. You can also find free online copies of books online sometimes, either as pdfs or on slideshare (if the book isn't freely available on Google, though, you will most likely be violating copyright by obtaining it elsewhere). One other thing that you can do is request that your professor post problem numbers for an old addition. I've had a number of professors that did this.

Not exactly an answer to your question, but hopefully somewhat helpful.

Related to Questions about 'University Physics with Modern Physics (13th Ed)@

1. What topics are covered in "University Physics with Modern Physics (13th Ed)"?

The book covers a wide range of topics in physics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and quantum physics. It also includes discussions on modern topics such as relativity, nuclear physics, and particle physics.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in physics?

While the book is primarily designed for university-level physics courses, it can also be used by beginners who have a strong foundation in mathematics and are willing to put in the effort to understand the concepts.

3. Are there any interactive elements in the book?

Yes, the book includes online resources such as animations, simulations, and interactive exercises to help students visualize and understand key concepts in physics.

4. Is the content in this book up-to-date?

Yes, the 13th edition of "University Physics with Modern Physics" was published in 2020 and includes the latest research and developments in the field of physics.

5. Can this book be used for self-study?

Yes, the book is comprehensive and includes a variety of practice problems and examples to help students learn independently. However, it is recommended to consult with a physics instructor for clarification on difficult concepts.