Questions About Taking 12 Hours of Math Courses Next Semester

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is considering taking 12 hours of math intensive courses next semester. They are wondering if it would be possible to also take a Gen-Ed or humanities course. The courses discussed are Calc 3, Linear Algebra, Chem 2, and Calc based Physics for science majors. The student is advised to make a spreadsheet to determine if the workload is manageable and to ask others who have taken the courses for advice on studying.
grantwilliams
Next semester I am looking at taking 12 hours of math intensive courses, would it be wise to stay with just the 12 hours, or would it still be possible to take another Gen-Ed or humanities course?

The courses are:
Calc 3
Linear algebra
Chem 2
Calc based Physics for science majors.

Physics news on Phys.org
That is only 12 credits? Please show me the break down. At my school that is 18 credits :P (assuming the science classes have labs)

Yeah at my school that is 16 (semester) units.

Calc 3 (3)
Lin Alg (3)
Chem 2 (5)
Phys (5)

My school's sister school has a calc based phys that is 4 units... so at least 15 units!

Ahh I did forget about the lab for chem which is another hour so it's 4 not 3. I don't know if physics has a lab or not

If it is Calculus based physics there *should* be a lab component.

To determine is something is a good load, I like to make a spreadsheet. I put the 24 hours in a day 7 days a week, fill in the class block and then fill it in with 'reasonable' study blocks for each class. I make sure to have time for workouting out and family. If I can fit, class, study, relaxing, and sleep, then to me, it's a do-able schedule.

MarneMath that is very helpful advice and I will deinitely be trying that, but I guess I just am not quite sure how much time will be required to study. I have heard a good rule of thumb is 2times the number of hours you are taking is a reasonable guess. I'm assuming that still applies to a science/math based schedule?

I believe that is a good rule of thumb but there are exception. If you know anyone who took some of those courses, ask them how difficult it is and the average amount of time they spent studying.

I wasn't a 'stud' in physics, and our physics I and II courses were weed out courses, so the average person spent 2-3 hours per night on homework. Calc III on the other hand was laid back and I probably only spent an hour to 2 hours a night. Linear Algebra, I simply spent 1 hour a day on it.

So overall, ask people who have taken the course, or go by the rule you mentioned. When in doubt, it's better to overestimate the amount of time needed to study, than underestimate.

Related to Questions About Taking 12 Hours of Math Courses Next Semester

1. How many math courses should I take next semester?

It depends on your academic goals and workload. If you are pursuing a math-related major or career, it may be beneficial to take 12 hours of math courses. However, if you have a heavy course load or struggle with math, it may be best to take fewer courses.

2. What are the benefits of taking 12 hours of math courses next semester?

Taking 12 hours of math courses can help you make progress towards your degree and improve your understanding of math concepts. It can also show dedication and commitment to math, which may be beneficial for graduate school or job applications.

3. Are there any potential challenges with taking 12 hours of math courses?

It may be challenging to balance 12 hours of math courses with other classes and commitments. Additionally, some math courses can be more difficult than others, so it's important to carefully consider the course content and your own strengths and weaknesses.

4. How can I prepare for taking 12 hours of math courses?

Make sure to review any prerequisite material and brush up on previous math skills before the semester starts. It may also be helpful to schedule regular study sessions and seek help from professors or tutors if needed.

5. What are some alternative options to taking 12 hours of math courses?

If you are unsure about taking 12 hours of math courses, you could consider taking a lighter course load or taking a mix of math and non-math courses. You could also explore online or summer courses to spread out your math courses over a longer period of time.