Questions about quantum fields

In summary: Its predictions have been tested and confirmed to an astonishing degree of accuracy. This is strong evidence for the existence of quantum fields. However, as with all scientific theories, it is impossible to prove anything with certainty. All we can do is continue to test and refine the theory and see if it continues to make accurate predictions. In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quantum field theory and how it differs from traditional ideas of "proven" or "false" theories. It also explores the composition of these fields and the relationship between particles and anti-particles within the theory. While the accuracy of the predictions made by quantum field theory suggest the existence of these fields, it cannot be definitively proven.
AtomicCanadian
Sorry if this is not a very we'll written thread. I have already had to re-write this three times because of computer problems. I have cut out almost all of the text I had previously written and moved straight on to the main questions I have. Please be considerate of my young age, which is fourteen, and correct any misinterpretations.

Questions-

1:Are quantum fields proven, false, or still a theory?

2:What are these fields comprised of?

3:Are all anti-particles also from a field? If so, do they have their own fields or do they originate from the fields of their counterparts?

4:Is there any way to prove or disprove the existence of these fields?

Thank you in advance for all answers and I'm sorry If this thread is not up to the slandered post for this site. If you see any mistakes please correct them. Thank you again.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you understand what a field is? For example, an electromagnetic field?

"Field theory" is a mathematical technique. Maxwell's electrodynamic equations are written in terms of electric and magnetic fields. We generally consider these equations to be correct ... they give correct predictions, and can even be quantized.

When you quantize a classical field theory you end up with a quantum field theory. These also give correct predictions.

You might find this interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Maxwell's_equations

AtomicCanadian said:
The idea that theories can be categorized as "proven, false, or still a theory" is a major misconception that a lot of people have about science. In most sciences, a theory is a falsifiable explanation of a fact. For example, evolution is a fact, and the theory of evolution is what explains it. A theory in this sense can be falsified by facts that the explanation says are extremely unlikely to be facts. In the case of evolution, "rabbit fossils in the precambrian" is an often quoted example of such a thing.

In physics, a theory is something that makes predictions about results of experiments. You don't prove or disprove a theory. You just find out how accurate its predictions are. A theory is considered good if its predictions are accurate, and bad if its predictions are inaccurate. Newton's theory of gravity is good. Einstein's is better. If I had to classify theories as "right" or "wrong", I would say that they're all wrong, because there's no theory that agrees with all experiments.

No matter how many experiments have been performed or how accurately they have matched the predictions, the thing that makes the predictions is still called a theory. There are no perfect theories, and there is no word for a very good imperfect theory. So phrases like "still a theory" or (even worse) "just a theory" don't make sense.

If you're thinking that a "law" is a proven theory, think again. A law is just a small part of a theory that can be expressed in the form of an equation or a brief statement.

AtomicCanadian said:
None of the quantum field theories contains an answer to that. In these theories, the fields are just special kinds of mathematical functions.

AtomicCanadian said:
3:Are all anti-particles also from a field? If so, do they have their own fields or do they originate from the fields of their counterparts?
Ouch, you made me realize that I don't remember QFT well enough to be sure of the answer, but I'll give it a try. In the case of electrons and positrons, there are two fields (mathematically related so that one can be calculated from the other), but it's not an electron field and a positron field. Each of these fields has relevance to both electrons and positrons.

AtomicCanadian said:
All you can do is find out how accurate the theory's predictions are.

Thanks for the information. It was very helpful.

Fredrik said:
All you can do is find out how accurate the theory's predictions are.
It's worth noting that some of the predictions of quantum field theory (in particular, quantum electrodynamics) are fantastically accurate. In fact they are the most accurate scientific predictions ever made, and they are confirmed by experiment. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precision_tests_of_QED

AtomicCanadian said:

A proven theory: much like the theory of evolution, the germ theory of disease, etc.

AtomicCanadian said:

The fields are observables in the quantum theoretical sense. They measure the number density of field quanta per momentum eigenstate.

AtomicCanadian said:

Electrons and positrons, for example, are described by the same field.

AtomicCanadian said:

As mentioned in a previous post, QED (the prototypical quantum field theory) is the single most accurate theory in the history of science.

Related to Questions about quantum fields

1. What are quantum fields?

Quantum fields are theoretical constructs that describe the fundamental building blocks of the universe, such as particles and forces, in terms of quantum mechanics.

2. How are quantum fields different from classical fields?

Quantum fields take into account the probabilistic nature of particles and their interactions, while classical fields describe particles and forces as deterministic entities.

3. What is the role of quantum fields in quantum mechanics?

Quantum fields are essential in quantum mechanics as they provide the mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. They also help explain phenomena such as particle creation and annihilation.

4. How are quantum fields used in modern physics?

Quantum fields are used in various fields of modern physics, such as quantum field theory, particle physics, and cosmology, to understand the behavior of particles and the fundamental forces of nature.

5. Are quantum fields a proven concept?

While quantum fields are a well-established concept in modern physics, they are still considered a theoretical construct and have not been directly observed. However, their predictions have been extensively tested and proven through experiments and observations.