Questions about patent filings

In summary, the person is trying to scam people by claiming that their patent was copied and that they are not being compensated. He needs an attorney and is not qualified to provide legal advice.
hagopbul
Hello :

i created a thread here a few weeks ago about or better say related to patenting , i start after that to look up the process on the internet and meet some one online who had a very bad experience with US patenting system , he claims after he filed the patent , some companies like apple , sun ,... etc copied his patent and did not compensate him or some thing like that .

after hearing his sad story i wondered that maybe he can find some helping hand from physics forums as they are also interested in patentingBest Regards
Hagop

[Moderator's note: edited to remove contact information.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Even assuming everything you say this person claims is true, he needs an attorney, not scientists moonlighting as attorneys.

Likes Wrichik Basu, russ_watters, hagopbul and 1 other person
All a patent gives you is grounds for a lawsuit. If your case is strong enough you can hope to get a lawyer on contingency.

Likes russ_watters and hagopbul
scientists also knows a lot of patent troubleshooting , know good lawyers , and even have very good experience filling them , some would know because of experience a lot of cases that new patent applicant may benefit from ... etc

Hornbein said:
All a patent gives you is grounds for a lawsuit. If your case is strong enough you can hope to get a lawyer on contingency.
...and you might be able to find one to review the case for free or for a few hours consulting.

Likes hagopbul
russ_watters said:
...and you might be able to find one to review the case for free or for a few hours consulting.
Um Russ...are you out of your mind? :wink:

There is no way I would, as a scientist and non-lawyer render a legal opinion. Not only is there a huge potential for liability, not only am I not remotely qualified, why do I want to open the door to a parade of inventors and wanna-be inventors who want my time (for free).?

If he wants legal advice - and I think he does - he shpouldn't mess around. He should hire a lawyer and be prepared to pay for it.

Likes hagopbul and Bystander
hagopbul said:
he claims after he filed the patent , some companies like apple , sun ,... etc copied his patent and did not compensate him or some thing like that .
I have had a number of conversations with patent attorneys on exactly this subject. A person does not "file a patent", they file a patent application. That application goes through a review process, after which a patent may or may not issue. Patent protection starts when a patent issues. Patent protection only applies in the country in which the patent issues. A US patent does not protect against a European company making and selling the product in Europe.

One of my patents was infringed on twice. In both cases, our patent attorney wrote a cease and desist letter, after which the infringement stopped. In both cases, the patent attorney warned us that if we had to take the case to court, we should budget $1,000,000 for the case. The patent would need to be worth several times that much for a qualified patent attorney to be willing to take the case on a contingency basis.

It may be possible to get an initial consultation with a patent attorney at no or minimal cost. After that, expect that a qualified attorney will have an hourly rate on the order of $500 per hour. Or more.

• Informative
Likes hagopbul, berkeman, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
Vanadium 50 said:
Um Russ...are you out of your mind? :wink:

There is no way I would, as a scientist adn non-lawyer render a legal opinion.
Lawyer! Paid! That's what I was responding to!

Likes hagopbul
I think it's time to take the advice of that great mind of the 20th century, Chico Marx. "If you got trouble, the first thing you need is to get a lawyer. Then you got more trouble, but at least you got a lawyer."

Likes hagopbul, russ_watters, Hamiltonian and 1 other person
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Thread reopened.

Likes hagopbul
hagopbul said:
i start after that to look up the process on the internet and meet some one online who had a very bad experience with US patenting system , he claims after he filed the patent , some companies like apple , sun ,... etc copied his patent and did not compensate him or some thing like that .
Sounds like he is setting you up for a scam...

hagopbul said:
after hearing his sad story i wondered that maybe he can find some helping hand from physics forums as they are also interested in patenting
Sure. He/she can join PF and post reasonable questions. If they try to scam us, we are happy to deal with that too. :wink:

Likes hagopbul and Vanadium 50
berkeman said:
Sounds like he is setting you up for a scam..
I agree.

@jrmichler wrote a good message. A patent is a license to sue if it is infringed. Actually getting money out of it is non-trivial and not guaranteed.

Applying for a a patent can benefit from advice. You don't want it too broad ("I wish to patent an idea called a 'machine'") or so narrow that it can be infringed by making a trivial change ("But this one is blue!") As mentioned, you need to know where to file it if you want worldwide protection.

Finally, your description sounds a lot like a perpetual motion machine. A LOT.

Likes hagopbul
can i post his personal page ?
no not a perpetual motion at all if you read in the post his domain is related to computer science

Last edited:

1. What is a patent filing?

A patent filing is a legal document that is submitted to a government agency, such as the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), to request protection for an invention or innovation. It includes a detailed description of the invention, as well as any necessary drawings or diagrams.

2. Why should I file for a patent?

Filing for a patent provides legal protection for your invention, giving you the exclusive right to make, use, and sell it for a certain period of time. This can prevent others from copying or profiting from your idea without your permission.

3. How do I know if my invention is eligible for a patent?

In general, an invention must be novel, non-obvious, and useful to be eligible for a patent. This means it must be new and different from existing inventions, not obvious to someone with knowledge in the field, and have a practical application.

4. What is the process for filing a patent?

The process for filing a patent can vary depending on the country, but generally involves conducting a patent search, preparing a patent application, and submitting it to the appropriate government agency. It may also involve responding to office actions and potentially appealing a rejection.

5. How long does a patent filing process take?

The time it takes for a patent filing to be processed and approved can vary, but it typically takes around 2-3 years. This can also depend on the complexity of the invention, the backlog of applications at the patent office, and any potential challenges or appeals.