Questions about npn transistor and operating point of diode

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the operating point by different methods and solving for vD and iD in a linear equation. The discussion also covers using thevenin or norton equivalent circuits, assumptions about Vbe, and calculating Rb. The conversation ends with a mention of the accuracy needed for Vbe calculations and the use of exponential relationships for PN junctions.
equalP
1.jpg

For question 1, it asks me to find the operating point by different methods.
But I have no idea to solve it. Can anyone give some hints for me?
I can just think about the diode can be replaced by an ideal diode, a 0.5V dc source and a 0.2/4=0.05Ω resistor.
11.jpg

For question 3,
3.jpg

I have solved the (a) part Ic=2.33mA.
For the (b) part, I have calculated Ib=Ic/β=0.0292mA
Ie=Ib+Ic=2.3625mA
However, I don't know how to find the value of Rb without Vbe. I have asked the tutor but he said that I do not need to assume Vbe=0.7V in this question.

Thanks for reading my questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
1(a):

Write the linear equation relating vD to iD.
Sum currents to zero at vD. Solve for vD.
Solve for iD.
The rest I leave to you.

I disagree with your instructor. You do need to assume what Vbe is (0.7V is a good assumption) in order to compute Rb.

Sum currents to zero at vD.
I do not get the meaning of this sentence...
Besides, should I ignore the ac power source in (a) and (b)?

Then I can convert the circuit into Thevenin equivalent circuit and Norton equivalent circuit to get the load line to solve the problem in (b). Is it right?

equalP said:
I do not get the meaning of this sentence...
Besides, should I ignore the ac power source in (a) and (b)?
vd is a node. The sum of all currents entering (or leaving) a node = 0.
No, you should not ignore the ac source. It is a source of current to the node vd, along with Vb.
Then I can convert the circuit into Thevenin equivalent circuit and Norton equivalent circuit to get the load line to solve the problem in (b). Is it right?

I don't know why you would want to convert to thevenin equivalent circuits. For one thing, the id - vd relationship is nonlinear.

Once you have solved part a) you have an expression for vd. You can take this function of time and plot it on the vd axis, then see the id on the y axis.

equalP said:
Yes, that should work. Thévenin of the source and resistors, you mean? It's best to attempt part (b) first, so you can get a feel for what is really happening.

Last edited:
equalP said:
However, I don't know how to find the value of Rb without Vbe. I have asked the tutor but he said that I do not need to assume Vbe=0.7V in this question.
Hard to say. He may have meant that you shouldn't always assume 0.7V specifically. For example, you may first assume 0.7V and then find that the current is so small that 0.55V would be a more realistic figure, and re-work it with that.

Alternatively, he may have had in mind that since the transistor chemistry is not specified, it may be that it's Germanium where you would assume 0.3V.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the answer in (a) in terms of cos(ωt) for both vd and id?

NascentOxygen said:
Hard to say. He may have meant that you shouldn't always assume 0.7V specifically. For example, you may first assume 0.7V and then find that the current is so small that 0.55V would be a more realistic figure, and re-work it with that.
But in this question, I cannot know whether the current is so small as Rb is not given...

equalP said:
Is the answer in (a) in terms of cos(ωt) for both vd and id?

Parameters comprise a DC value plus a cos(ωt) term.

When you see vD, that upper-case 'D' means the complete voltage. If it's a lower-case 'd' then it means just the AC component. (I'm assuming the person who wrote the question adhered to the convention, and that's not always guaranteed.)

equalP said:
But in this question, I cannot know whether the current is so small as Rb is not given...
You calculate Ib and Rb using the data given. Your results will be accurate to within a few percent, so you really do know the current (to within a few percent).

Does it mean that I can only get the result with no cos(ωt) in (b) but not (a)?
When I use the result in (a) to draw the line, I found that there may be something wrong in my calculation as the my calculated vd is in a small range near 0.5V...
[itex]i_D=20v_D-10[/itex]
[itex]\frac{v_s+v_b-v_D}{100}=i_D+\frac{v_D}{100}[/itex]
[itex]0.1cos(\omega t)+2-v_D=2000v_D-1000+v_D[/itex]
[itex]0.1cos(\omega t)+1002=2002v_D[/itex]
[itex]v_D=5.00\times 10^{-5} cos (\omega t)+0.500[/itex]
[itex]i_D=20v_D-10=9.99\times 10^{-4} cos (\omega t)+9.99\times 10^{-3}[/itex]
Is there any wrong?

NascentOxygen said:
You calculate Ib and Rb using the data given. Your results will be accurate to within a few percent, so you really do know the current (to within a few percent).
By the data given, I calculate Ib.
Then I assume Vbe=0.7V to calculate Rb. But with the Rb, how can I find the actual Vbe?

equalP said:
[itex]i_D=20v_D-10[/itex]
[itex]0.1cos(\omega t)+2-v_D=2000v_D-1000+v_D[/itex]
[itex]0.1cos(\omega t)+1002=2002v_D[/itex]
[itex]v_D=5.00\times 10^{-5} cos (\omega t)+0.500[/itex]
[itex]i_D=20v_D-10=9.99\times 10^{-4} cos (\omega t)+9.99\times 10^{-3}[/itex]
Is there any wrong?
Yes, the first line.

By the data given, I calculate Ib.
Then I assume Vbe=0.7V to calculate Rb. But with the Rb, how can I find the actual Vbe?
The actual precise Vbe would have to be calculated using the exponential relationship for that PN junction. But of course, that accuracy is not required here. If IB is a good fraction of a mA or more, then 0.6V - 0.7V is fine. This isn't a maths subject. :smile:

NascentOxygen said:
Yes, the first line.
Oh, I found the problem.
It should be
[itex]i_D=0.02v_D-0.01[/itex]
[itex]0.1cos(\omega t)+2-v_D=2v_D-1+v_D[/itex]
[itex]0.1cos(\omega t)+3=4v_D[/itex]
[itex]v_D=0.025cos (\omega t)+0.75[/itex]
[itex]i_D=20v_D-10=5\times 10^{-4} cos (\omega t)+5\times 10^{-3}[/itex]
Is it right?
If yes, then how can I solve it graphically by the results?

Last edited:
equalP said:
[itex]v_D=0.025cos (\omega t)+0.75[/itex]
[itex]i_D=20v_D-10=5\times 10^{-4} cos (\omega t)+5\times 10^{-3}[/itex]
Is it right?
That's looking better.

If yes, then how can I solve it graphically by the results?
Are you still on (a), or is this going to be (b) now?

NascentOxygen said:
Are you still on (a), or is this going to be (b) now?
This is going to be (b) now.

equalP said:
This is going to be (b) now.
I thought you already outlined your approach, back in what I quoted here.

Should I solve (b) with dc load line only? As the ac part of Vth is quite small...
Vth=0.05cos(ωt)+1V
Rth=50Ω
Or I should draw a line with Vth=0.05+1V and a line with Vth=-0.05+1V?

Last edited:
I think the question would be answered by drawing the DC load line, then showing a swing around it of 0.05V. So that could be thought of as drawing 3 lines―one solid line and a dotted line either side.

Thank you very much and I have solved these 2 questions:smile:

I was waiting to see how you'd do (c)?

In (c), I first consider the dc source only and do the similar with (a) and found
Vo=0.75V, Io=5mA

In small signal model,
[itex]r_d=\frac{1}{\frac{d i_d}{d v_d}}=\frac{1}{0.02}=50\Omega[/itex]
[itex]v_p=0.1\times \frac{100||50}{100+100||50}=0.025[/itex]
[itex]i_p=0.02v_p-0.01=5\times 10^{-4}[/itex]
[itex]v_D=v_p cos(ωt)+v_o=0.025cos(ωt)+0.75[/itex]
[itex]i_D=i_p cos(ωt)+i_o=5\times 10^{-4} cos(ωt)+5\times 10^{-3}[/itex]

NascentOxygen said:
I think the question would be answered by drawing the DC load line, then showing a swing around it of 0.05V. So that could be thought of as drawing 3 lines―one solid line and a dotted line either side.
Maybe also draw an expanded graph about the area of interest, so that the magnitude of the output sinusoid can be measured directly off the graph, since this part is supposed to illustrate the graphical method of determining output.

equalP said:
In (c), I first consider the dc source only and do the similar with (a) and found
Vo=0.75V, Io=5mA

In small signal model,
[itex]r_d=\frac{1}{\frac{d i_d}{d v_d}}=\frac{1}{0.02}=50\Omega[/itex]
[itex]v_p=0.1\times \frac{100||50}{100+100||50}=0.025[/itex]
[itex]i_p=0.02v_p-0.01=5\times 10^{-4}[/itex]
Is this line correct?

NascentOxygen said:
Is this line correct?
Because I found the result is same as that I found in (a), I think it should be correct...

I don't follow the - 0.01 bit.

NascentOxygen said:
I don't follow the - 0.01 bit.

I just get equation from the I-V characteristic graph and find that
[itex]i_D=0.02v_D-0.01[/itex]

Related to Questions about npn transistor and operating point of diode

1. What is an NPN transistor?

An NPN transistor is a type of transistor that is made up of three layers of a semiconductor material, with two layers of negative (N) material surrounding a layer of positive (P) material. It is commonly used in electronic devices to amplify or switch electronic signals.

2. How does an NPN transistor work?

An NPN transistor works by controlling the flow of electrons between the two N-type layers, known as the emitter and collector, using a small current in the middle P-type layer, known as the base. By varying the current in the base, the transistor can amplify or switch a larger current between the emitter and collector.

3. What is the operating point of a diode?

The operating point of a diode is the point on its characteristic curve where it operates when a certain voltage is applied. It is also known as the bias point and is important for determining the behavior of the diode in a circuit.

4. How is the operating point of a diode determined?

The operating point of a diode is determined by the intersection of the diode's characteristic curve with the load line, which represents the external circuit's voltage and current. The point of intersection determines the voltage and current at which the diode will operate.

5. What factors affect the operating point of a diode?

The operating point of a diode can be affected by factors such as temperature, the voltage applied to the diode, and the load resistance in the external circuit. Changes in these factors can cause the operating point to shift, impacting the behavior of the diode in the circuit.