Questions about gravity at relativistic velocities

In summary, the ‘speed’ of gravity is limited to the speed of light, just like everything else. If two bodies with mass are traveling in the same direction with one trailing directly behind the other, the body in front will not feel the gravitational effects for some time. This delay can be calculated using the formula t=L/(c-v). However, the body in the back will experience the gravitational effects sooner, with a delay of t'=L/(c+v). This can also be calculated using the Lorentz transforms. In both cases, the distance needs to be "length contracted" based on the frame in which the two bodies are moving. This can be calculated using the factor 1/\gamma=\sqrt {1-(v
nearc
Gold Member
The ‘speed’ of gravity, like everything else, is also limited to the speed of light. So if two bodies [with mass] are traveling in the same direction with one trailing directly behind the other by some distance and both bodies are traveling at .999 C how does the gravity work between them? For example: If body A is in front and body B is behind. Then A will not feel the gravitational effects for some time. In fact if A is 1 light year ahead of B then it will take 999 years before A will feel the gravitational effects from B, however B will ‘run into’ A gravitational effects in about half a year?

Physics news on Phys.org
nearc said:
The ‘speed’ of gravity, like everything else, is also limited to the speed of light. So if two bodies [with mass] are traveling in the same direction with one trailing directly behind the other by some distance and both bodies are traveling at .999 C how does the gravity work between them? For example: If body A is in front and body B is behind. Then A will not feel the gravitational effects for some time. In fact if A is 1 light year ahead of B then it will take 999 years before A will feel the gravitational effects from B, however B will ‘run into’ A gravitational effects in about half a year?

Let v=0.999 c, L=1ly is the distance between bodies, then:

ct=L+vt i.e. B moves away from A by vt while the gravitational effects need to cover L+vt

So, t=L/(c-v) which is 1/0.001=1000 years

In the other case:

ct'+vt'=L

so

t'=L/(c+v) and this is about 0.5 years.

Now, exactly as in the MMX experiment we need to remember that L needs to be "length contracted", when viewed from the frame that measures A and B moving at v i.e. it needs to be multiplied by [tex]1/\gamma=\sqrt {1-(v/c)^2}=1/22.4[/tex]

So, the above times become:

[tex]1000/22.4=44.8 yr[/tex]

Another way of solving this is to use the full-fledged Lorentz transforms. In the comoving frame, the gravitational effect cover the distance [tex]\Delta x=1ly[/tex] in the time [tex]\Delta t=1yr[/tex]
Then, in a frame wrt the two bodies move at [tex]v[/tex] away from the observer the time separation is:

[tex] \Delta t'= \gamma (\Delta t+v\Delta x/c^2)=\gamma*2=44.8 yrs[/tex]

If A and B move towards the observer, the formula changes:[tex] \Delta t'= \gamma (\Delta t-v\Delta x/c^2)=\gamma*/1000=0.0224 yrs[/tex]

So, we can get the correct result through two different methods. As you can see, the correct results are quite different from your initial intuition.

Last edited:
So if two bodies [with mass] are traveling in the same direction with one trailing directly behind the other by some distance and both bodies are traveling at .999 C how does the gravity work between them?
So the two bodies have zero relative velocity ? They won't notice anything different in the gravitational interaction between them.

You say they are traveling at .999 c or whatever but not from which frame ( which does not enter the picture in any case ) since the bodies are stationary in each others frames.

Mentz114 said:
So the two bodies have zero relative velocity ? They won't notice anything different in the gravitational interaction between them.

You say they are traveling at .999 c or whatever but not from which frame ( which does not enter the picture in any case ) since the bodies are stationary in each others frames.

I think the OP meant that in some frame K, bodies A and B are observed to be moving with the same velocity in the same direction, and the description of the time delays is meant to be in frame K.

nearc said:
For example: If body A is in front and body B is behind. Then A will not feel the gravitational effects for some time. In fact if A is 1 light year ahead of B then it will take 999 years before A will feel the gravitational effects from B, however B will ‘run into’ A gravitational effects in about half a year?

Yes, this is a correct description in frame K.

But Lut is also correct -- in the frame K' in which A and B are at rest, nothing unusual happens.

Can't we just see this from the point of time dilation? In the frame in which A and B don't move, the propagation is obviously 1 year. Therefore, in the frame in which A and B move, wouldn't the propagation time be t=1yr/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)=22.36yrs? And this would then be the propagation from A to B and from B to A.

What is wrong with my analysis?

Matterwave said:
Can't we just see this from the point of time dilation? In the frame in which A and B don't move, the propagation is obviously 1 year. Therefore, in the frame in which A and B move, wouldn't the propagation time be t=1yr/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)=22.36yrs? And this would then be the propagation from A to B and from B to A.

If you start from the Lorentz transformation, you can then show that [itex]\gamma[/itex] gives the time dilation between frames K and K' for events that occurred *at the same place* in one of those frames. In the example we're talking about here, the emission and receipt of the gravitational "signal" doesn't occur at the same place in either frame.

Matterwave said:

You need to factor in the spatial separation as well, you can't use straight time dilation because the start point of the signal (A) is separated from the endpoint (B) by 1 lyr in the comoving frame:

[tex] \Delta t'= \gamma (\Delta t+v\Delta x/c^2)=\gamma*2=44.8 yrs[/tex]

See post #2 for the complete reasoning.

I don't know about any of this :rolleyes:. Everyone seems to be answering the question as if the two bodies are receding/approaching each other at 0.999c. But they have parallel worldlines in all frames. I'm baffled :confused:.

What am I missing ?

Mentz114 said:
I don't know about any of this :rolleyes:. Everyone seems to be answering the question as if the two bodies are receding/approaching each other at 0.999c. But they have parallel worldlines in all frames. I'm baffled :confused:.

What am I missing ?

That the gravitational effect propagates in a time interval that is frame dependent. In the comoving frame this means 1ly, in the frame that measures A and B moving away at v, this means a larger number.

Last edited:
Mentz114 said:

What am I missing ?

The long time delay in frame K is simply a time dilation.

One thing that may be causing confusion is that since the two bodies are at rest with respect to one another, there is actually no information being propagated by gravitational waves. If we want the OP's scenario to make a little more sense, we should actually let A and B each be, say, binary neutron stars, so that each one emits gravitational waves that can be detected by the other. Unless we have some mechanism like this for radiation, the field is exactly constant everywhere in frame K'.

Wait so now I'm confused. To the 2 bodies which are moving wrt me, they obviously see only a 1ly lag. To me...I see a 44.8 year lag? Or a 1000 year lag? o_O

Matterwave said:
Wait so now I'm confused. To the 2 bodies which are moving wrt me, they obviously see only a 1ly lag. To me...I see a 44.8 year lag? Or a 1000 year lag? o_O

44.8, the calculations are all there.

I agree with bcrowell, in this situation there are no gravitational waves that propagate. Without something propagating it is confusing to talk about lag.

DaleSpam said:
I agree with bcrowell, in this situation there are no gravitational waves that propagate. Without something propagating it is confusing to talk about lag.

Replace the gravitational field with an em field. The problem is about calculating propagation time as a frame-dependent quantity.

Related to Questions about gravity at relativistic velocities

What is gravity at relativistic velocities?

Gravity at relativistic velocities refers to the effect of gravity on objects that are moving at speeds close to the speed of light. It is a phenomenon that is described by Einstein's theory of general relativity, which explains how gravity affects the curvature of space and time.

How does gravity change at relativistic velocities?

At high velocities, gravity behaves differently than it does at lower speeds. According to Einstein's theory, the strength of gravity increases as the speed of an object increases. This means that gravity becomes stronger as an object approaches the speed of light.

Can objects travel faster than the speed of light due to gravity?

No, it is not possible for objects to travel faster than the speed of light due to gravity. According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and it requires an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further.

What happens to time at relativistic velocities?

At relativistic velocities, time is affected by gravity. This means that time will pass more slowly for an object moving at high speeds compared to an object at rest. This phenomenon is known as time dilation and has been confirmed by experiments and observations.

Can gravity be used to travel faster?

No, it is not possible to use gravity to travel faster than the speed of light. While the strength of gravity increases at high velocities, it cannot exceed the speed of light. Additionally, the effects of gravity on time and space make it impossible to travel through space in a straight line at speeds faster than the speed of light.