Questions about deriving the naviers stokes equations

In summary, the shear stress in a Newtonian fluid is tau=viscosity*dV/dy, where dx and dz also can do. Tau(xx) is a shear component called tau(xx) that comes up, and it is supposed to be in the yz-plane. It is said that in a Newtonian fluid tau(xx)=2*viscosity*du/dx, where the velocity in the x-direction.
hyper
Hello, I read some fluidmechanics and there was something I didn't understand.

The shear stress in a Newtonian fluid is tau=viscosity*dV/dy, (no need to be dy, but dx and dz also can do.)

A shear component called tau(xx) came up, I have two questions about this component:

1. Shear is supposed to be parralell on a surface, so how does this shear component work? How can it point in the x-direction, when it is on the x-surface(yz-plane) and also is supposed to be in the yz-plane?

2. It is said that in a Newtonian fluid tau(xx)=2*viscosity*du/dx, where the velocity in the x-direction. Why is it this, why the number 2?, can you explain this if you look at the definition of viscosity in Newtonian fluids I posted first?

Then my question is about the stress component tau(xy). It is said that it is viscositu*(du/dy+dv/dx). I can see out of the definition that it is supposed to be viscosity*du/dy, but why also the dv/dx part?(v is the y-compononent of the velocity).

These questions have been nagging me for ours now, I would appreciate some help.

PS: All the deriviatives are supposed the be partial deriviatives offcourse.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a few questions here, let me try sorting it out:

1) the shear is a tensor quantity, each component is defined as [tex]\tau_{ij} = \mu V_{i,j}[/tex], where I assumed a linear homogeneous medium (the viscosity is a scalar) and V_i,j means the j'th partial derivative of i'th component of V, for example [tex]\tau_{xy} = \mu \frac{\partial V_{x}}{\partial y}[/tex]

2) I visualize tensors as the surface of a cube; each face has three directions associated with it (1 normal and 2 in-plane). The normal components, tau_ii, correspond to pressure- the action on the cube is to expand or contract the cube. The off-diagonal components are shear, and act to deform the cube into a rhombohedron.

3) Your other questions seem to be matters of notation; factors of '2' and '1/2' sometimes appear since the shear stress is symmetric... or am I missing something?

I don't see how tau(xx) can be the preassure, since the preassure is another part in the equations in my book, and it is also another part in the anvier stokes equations.

I guess I need to have a better idea of what your book is presenting- can you be more specific?

1. What are the Navier-Stokes equations?

The Navier-Stokes equations are a set of partial differential equations that describe the motion of a fluid in terms of its velocity, pressure, and density. They are used to model a wide range of phenomena, from weather patterns to the flow of water in pipes.

2. Who developed the Navier-Stokes equations?

The equations were developed independently by French engineer Claude-Louis Navier in the early 19th century and Irish mathematician George Gabriel Stokes in the mid-19th century. However, their work was based on earlier contributions by scientists such as Leonhard Euler and Daniel Bernoulli.

3. What is the significance of the Navier-Stokes equations?

The Navier-Stokes equations are considered one of the most important equations in fluid mechanics and have been essential in advancing our understanding of fluid dynamics. They are used in a wide range of applications, from designing airplanes and cars to predicting weather patterns.

4. What are the assumptions behind the Navier-Stokes equations?

The Navier-Stokes equations are based on several fundamental assumptions, including the conservation of mass, conservation of momentum, and conservation of energy. They also assume that fluids are continuous and behave according to Newton's laws of motion.

5. Are there any limitations to the Navier-Stokes equations?

Yes, the Navier-Stokes equations have some limitations, particularly in predicting turbulent flows and flows with high Reynolds numbers. Additionally, they do not account for certain factors such as surface tension, viscosity changes, and compressibility effects. As a result, they may not accurately model some real-world fluid dynamics scenarios.