Questions about current limits of laser beam widths

In summary, the smallest beam width that is currently available is a few millimeters. Lenses can reduce this, but the limit is the wavelength of the light. You can work your way through a tutorial on how to create a Gaussian beam with a focal point at the lens.
CFlower
Hi there,

I'm looking for some information on the current limits of the beam width of currently available lasers. I'm less interested in experimental setups that are not on the market yet, but I suppose if one of them is markedly different it would be interesting to know.

Specifically, what is the smallest available beam width, what kinds of lasers can achieve it, and what are the specs for such a beam (i.e. power etc.)

I've looked around a good deal so far and haven't found anything, so if you know or could just point me in the right direction I would be very thankful! This is a bit out of my field so any advice is appreciated.

Cheers,
CFlower

Physics news on Phys.org
For a Gaussian beam the usual limit is a few millimeters as it exits the laser system, and enters your free space optical setup.

You can reduce this with a "beam reducer", which is simply a telescope, but the results are limited by the wavelength of the light. The theoretical limit would be the waist size for a Gaussian beam.

With a bit of patience you can work your way through the Gaussian beam tutorial here:
http://www.newport.com/Gaussian-Beam-Optics/144899/1033/content.aspx

The technique I have used in the lab is to input the collimated laser beam into a very long focal length lens (e.g., 2 meter), and place my point of activity at the focal point. I've done this with 260 nm (deep UV) which had to be taken into a vacuum chamber. The focal spot was about 200 um, this is not the optical limit.

Of course you can obtain smaller beams inside of fiber optics; 10 microns is easy enough, but you cannot maintain this once the beam is in free space.This may help: http://www.miyachiamerica.com/servlet/servlet.FileDownload?retURL=%2Fapex%2FEducationalResources_Articles&file=01580000001ake3

Related to Questions about current limits of laser beam widths

1. What is the current limit of laser beam widths?

The current limit of laser beam widths is determined by the diffraction limit, which states that the minimum spot size of a laser beam is equal to half of its wavelength. This means that the smallest spot size achievable for a laser with a wavelength of 500 nm would be 250 nm. However, advancements in laser technology have allowed for even smaller spot sizes to be achieved through techniques such as beam shaping and focusing.

2. How do laser beam widths affect laser performance?

Laser beam widths can significantly impact the performance of a laser because they determine the intensity and precision of the laser beam. A smaller beam width allows for a higher intensity and more precise targeting, while a larger beam width may result in decreased precision and scattering of the beam. Additionally, the width of the beam can also affect the depth of focus and the ability to maintain a consistent power output.

3. Are there any limitations to reducing laser beam widths?

While advancements in technology have allowed for smaller and smaller laser beam widths to be achieved, there are still limitations to how small they can be. The diffraction limit, as mentioned previously, is one limitation. Another limitation is the quality of the laser beam itself, as imperfections in the beam can also affect the achievable beam width. Additionally, the materials used in the construction of the laser can also impact the beam width capabilities.

4. Can laser beam widths be controlled?

Yes, laser beam widths can be controlled through techniques such as beam shaping, focusing, and using specialized optics. These methods allow for the manipulation of the laser beam to achieve the desired width and intensity. Additionally, advancements in adaptive optics have also allowed for real-time control and correction of laser beam widths.

5. What are the practical applications of laser beam widths?

The control and manipulation of laser beam widths have numerous practical applications in various industries. In manufacturing, precise laser beam widths are crucial for cutting and drilling materials with high precision. In medical applications, laser beam widths play a crucial role in procedures such as laser eye surgery and skin treatments. In research and development, laser beam widths are used for microscopy and spectroscopy techniques to study materials at a microscopic level.