Questions about Battery Memory

In summary: The strict "memory effect" is a myth, it effected certain early Ni-Cad batteries in very unusual circumstances.
RestlessMind
Questions about Battery "Memory"

I've heard that rechargeable NiCad batteries can be damaged so that they experience a large drop in voltage (and thus appear to be dead) before they are completely dead by being discharged to a point (like halfway) and then being recharged. Then I've heard that NiMH batteries do not suffer from this, then that they actually do, then that the whole thing is a myth... :devil: what do you guys think about this battery "memory" effect?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Thanks for the info!

After reading over the first FAQ, I seem to come to the conclusion that NiCd batteries are a bit more "vulnerable" than NiMh batteries when it comes to charging and discharging. Do you think that NiMh batteries are more "tolerant" in any way?

Also, do you know if it is damaging to either battery type to partially charge it then discharge it fully?

NiMh are a bit more robust.
Partially discharing and recharging both types can (temporarily) reduce their capacity, but this can be restored by fully discharging and recharging.
But you can permanently damage them by overcharging.

Ah I see, that's what I was hoping for.

A thought; I understand that, for example, a 1000mAh battery must be charged with 100mA for 10 hours to be fully charged. So, would charging it with 100mA for 5 hours give it a 500mAh current?

Roughly yes.
The charging curve isn't quite linear (depends on how full the battery is) and you can't push it too far - you can't charge it in 1min with 60Amps for instance!

ps. you can't say a 500mAh 'current', mAh is an amount of energy so you shoudl say a 500mAh 'charge'

Roughly yes.
The charging curve isn't quite linear (depends on how full the battery is) and you can't push it too far - you can't charge it in 1min with 60Amps for instance!
Ah. Roughly how non-linear is it?

ps. you can't say a 500mAh 'current', mAh is an amount of energy so you shoudl say a 500mAh 'charge'
Got it.

mgb_phys said:
The strict "memory effect" is a myth, it effected certain early Ni-Cad batteries in very unusual circumstances.

It is by no means a "myth" with respect to NiCads. As a heavy NiCad user in the 80s, we had to factor it's effects on a continuing basis.

But there are many ways you can damage NiCad and NiMh batteries by improper charging, reducing their capacity.

Simple intro here - http://www.greenbatteries.com/nibafa.html
And an excellent and very complete guide - http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

It is by no means a "myth" with respect to NiCads. As a heavy NiCad user in the 80s, we had to factor it's effects on a continuing basis.
Ah. I did read, however, that it was something that occurred when a NiCad was charged and discharged to at a quite precise point many times (such as in satellites), and unlikely to occur in consumer electronics.

Related to Questions about Battery Memory

1. How does battery memory affect the lifespan of my battery?

Battery memory is a phenomenon that occurs when a battery is repeatedly charged and discharged without being fully drained. This can cause the battery to "remember" its capacity as being lower than it actually is, leading to shorter lifespan and decreased performance over time.

2. Can I prevent battery memory from occurring?

Yes, you can prevent battery memory by fully draining your battery before charging it. This ensures that the battery is being charged to its maximum capacity and avoids the "memory effect". It is also important to avoid overcharging your battery, as this can also contribute to battery memory.

3. Does battery memory affect all types of batteries?

No, battery memory is mainly a concern for nickel-cadmium (NiCd) and nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) batteries. Lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries, which are commonly used in modern electronics, do not experience battery memory and can be charged at any time without affecting their lifespan.

4. Can battery memory be reversed?

Yes, battery memory can be reversed by fully draining and then fully charging the battery a few times. This process, known as "reconditioning", helps to reset the battery's memory and restore its full capacity. However, this may not always be effective and it is best to prevent battery memory from occurring in the first place.

5. How can I extend the lifespan of my battery?

In addition to avoiding battery memory, you can extend the lifespan of your battery by using it regularly and avoiding extreme temperatures. It is also important to use the correct charger for your battery, as using an incompatible charger can damage the battery and shorten its lifespan.