Questions about a Transient Luminous Event

• Thread starter astroscout
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transient
In summary, the conversation discussed the observation and photography of a distant storm with flashing lights. The photographer captured a large bolt rising from the top of the storm and releasing millions of blue luminous beads. The camera settings used were F/2.8 for 8 seconds and iso 400. The conversation also mentioned a best guess that the event could be a Gigantic Jet, a type of lightning discharge. The conversation also provided links to further information on the topic.
astroscout
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/3naz.jpg/

I was watching TV and noticed a lot of flashing lights outside which was coming from a distant storm. I got my camera and proceded to take pictures. During one of the 8 second exposures I saw a large bolt rise from the top of the storm cell then it quickly collapsed but then it rose again but not as high as the first bolt. As this second bolt rose it released millions of blue luminous beads or charged particles emitting a blue light. I did not see the red luminous beads because I was so captivated by the blue ones.

I used a Kodak Z740 camera set to F/2.8 for 8 seconds and iso 400. Taken in Cabo Rojo,Puerto Rico on Sept. 22, 2011 at 1:27am.

Questions:

1)What caused the charge particles to change from blue to red?

2)Why were the charged particles released during the rise of the second bolt and not the first?

3)What is your best educated guess as to what occurred within the storm cell to create this Gigantic Jet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
3) It appears you photographed a sprite:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprite_(lightning )

According to Walt Lyons and Oscar van der Velde this is a Gigantic Jet. Below is an excerpt from the article concerning my photo.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/259/cwwd.jpg/

You can read more about these events by reading the following document:

http://www.vaisala.com/en/events/ildcilmc/Documents/Different%20Strokes%20Researching%20the%20Unusual%20Lightning%20Discharges%20Associated%20with.pdf

1. What is a Transient Luminous Event (TLE)?

A Transient Luminous Event is a brief flash of light that occurs above thunderstorms, high in the Earth's atmosphere. They are caused by electrical discharges and can take different forms such as sprites, elves, and blue jets.

2. How are TLEs different from lightning?

TLEs are different from lightning in several ways. Lightning is a powerful discharge of electricity between the clouds and the ground, while TLEs occur high above the clouds. TLEs also have shorter durations and different shapes compared to lightning.

3. What causes TLEs?

TLEs are caused by electrical interactions between the Earth's atmosphere and the space environment. In most cases, they are triggered by lightning strikes in the lower atmosphere. However, TLEs can also be caused by cosmic rays, meteoroids, and even volcanic eruptions.

4. Can TLEs be dangerous?

TLEs are not dangerous to humans on the ground as they occur high in the atmosphere. However, they can be a hazard to aircraft and satellites, especially if they are in the vicinity of a TLE. They can also affect radio communications and disrupt electronic equipment.

5. How are TLEs studied and observed?

TLEs are studied and observed using specialized equipment such as high-speed cameras, spectrometers, and radio receivers. Scientists also use satellite data and computer simulations to better understand the mechanisms behind TLEs. Amateur skywatchers can also contribute to TLE research by reporting their sightings to organizations such as the American Association of Variable Star Observers.