Questions abot magnetic monopoles

In summary, the existence of magnetic monopoles is still a topic of debate and research. If they do exist, they may come in two types, North and South, and could potentially have an intrinsic electric dipole moment like charged fermions. However, there is currently no strong evidence that they make up the cosmological dark matter. Additionally, they are believed to behave as four-vectors in the Maxwell equations and a bound state of a North and South monopole may be harder to detect.
johne1618
If magnetic monopoles exist:

1/ Would there be two types: North and South?

2/ If a monopole was a fermion would it have an intrinsic electric dipole moment (in analogy to normal charged fermions that have an intrinsic magnetic dipole moment)?

3/ Could the cosmological dark matter be made of monopoles?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) yes

2) I don't think they can be fermions; when plugging them into the Maxwell equations as a source term (like the charge density) then they must be scalars

3) I don't think so, b/c there seems to by a lot of dark matter and therefore we should have observed a couple of monopoles

I don't see anywhere in the Maxwell's equations that they must be scalars. We don't know of any scalar particles. I would expect magnetic monopoles (if they exist) to be like magnetic electrons, in which case they ought to have an intrinsic electric dipole moment.

This paper by the D0 collaboration sets mass limits on magnetic monopoles with spin 0, ½ and 1. So a magnetic monopole with spin is considered a possibility, to an experimentalist at least. :smile:

Khashishi said:
I don't see anywhere in the Maxwell's equations that they must be scalars. We don't know of any scalar particles. I would expect magnetic monopoles (if they exist) to be like magnetic electrons, in which case they ought to have an intrinsic electric dipole moment.
So about that; I must have been drunk when writing this. Of course the r.h.s. of the
Maxwell equation is not a scalar but a four-vector with a magnetic charge and a magnetic current density.

The usual approach is to introduce monopes on the r.h.s. of the Maxwell equations, just like the charge density. If you do it that way the behavior w.r.t. Lorentz transformations rule out anything else but four-vectors.

If you compare it to electron fields (like in QED) you have to remember that charge and current densities are bilinear in the spinor fermion fields, so spinor indices are contracted to form a four-vector. If you want to introduce a spinor field you have to construct an object (at least) bilinear in the spinors to plug it into the Maxwell equations.

tom.stoer said:
3) I don't think so, b/c there seems to by a lot of dark matter and therefore we should have observed a couple of monopoles

Could a North and South monopole form a bound state cancelling out the magnetic charge?

I guess such a bound state would be harder to detect.

Last edited:

Related to Questions abot magnetic monopoles

1. What are magnetic monopoles?

Magnetic monopoles are hypothetical particles that have a magnetic charge, similar to how electrons have an electric charge. They are predicted by certain theories of particle physics but have not been observed in experiments yet.

2. Why are magnetic monopoles important?

If magnetic monopoles are discovered, it would provide evidence for the unification of the fundamental forces in nature. It would also have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and could potentially lead to new technologies.

3. How are magnetic monopoles different from regular magnets?

Regular magnets have both a north and south pole, while magnetic monopoles have only one type of pole. This makes them fundamentally different and has significant consequences on their behavior in magnetic fields.

4. Is there any experimental evidence for magnetic monopoles?

Currently, there is no direct experimental evidence for magnetic monopoles. However, there have been some experiments that have observed certain phenomena that could potentially be explained by the presence of magnetic monopoles.

5. Can magnetic monopoles exist in nature?

While they have not been observed yet, there are several theories in physics that predict the existence of magnetic monopoles. Some scientists believe that they may have been created during the early stages of the universe or could exist in certain extreme conditions, such as in the cores of neutron stars.