Deriving Wien's Displacement Law from Planck's Law

In summary, this problem is to derive Wien's displacement law from Planck's law. Specifically, a) Show that there is a general relationship between temperature and λmax stating that Tλmax = constant and b) Obtain a numerical value for this constant. Unfortunately, the answer to part a is that there is no simple relationship between temperature and λmax. The equation is transcendental and must be solved numerically. However, as long as you keep in mind that T*lambda is constant, you should be able to find the solution fairly easily.
gnome
Basically this problem is to derive Wien's displacement law from Planck's law.
Specifically:
a) Show that there is a general relationship between temperature and λmax stating that Tλmax = constant
and
b) Obtain a numerical value for this constant
[Hint: Start with Planck's radiation law and note that the slope of u(λ,T) is zero when λ = λmax ]

So I obediently try to differentiate u(λ, T) with respect to λ:

I'll let C1 = 8Πhc and C2 = hc/(kBT)

[tex] u(\lambda, T) = {C_1}\lambda^{-5} \left( e^\frac{C_2}{\lambda} - 1 \right)^{-1} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial u}{\partial \lambda} =
C_1 \left((\lambda^{-5})(-1)({e^{\frac{C_2}{\lambda}} - 1)^{-2}({e^\frac{C_2}{\lambda}})(-\frac{C_2}{\lambda^2}) + (e^{\frac{C_2}{\lambda}} - 1)^{-1}(-5)\lambda^{-6}\right) = 0 [/tex]

I divide through by C1 & get

[tex] \frac{C_2e^\frac{C_2}{\lambda}}{\lambda^7({e^\frac{C_2}{\lambda}} -1)^2} - \frac{5}{\lambda^6({e^\frac{C_2}{\lambda}} -1)} = 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{C_2{e^\frac{C_2}{\lambda}} - 5\lambda({e^\frac{C_2}{\lambda}} - 1)}{\lambda^7({e^\frac{C_2}{\lambda}} -1)^2} = 0 [/tex]

[tex]C_2{e^\frac{C_2}{\lambda}} - 5\lambda{e^\frac{C_2}{\lambda}} + 5\lambda = 0 [/tex]

[tex] let x = \frac{C_2}{\lambda} = \frac{hc}{{k_B}T\lambda}[/tex]

[tex]x{\lambda}e^x - 5{\lambda}e^x + 5{\lambda} = 0[/tex]

[tex]x = 5 - \frac{5}{e^x} = 5(1 - e^{-x})[/tex]

Now I substitute back for x = hc/(kTλ) and get:

[tex]\frac{hc}{{k_B}T{\lambda}} = 5(1 - {e^\frac{-hc}{{k_B}T{\lambda}}}) [/tex]

Oy!

This, amazingly, is exactly the expression I'm supposed to end up with (for part a), according to the answer in the book.

But how does this show that
[tex]T\lambda = constant [/tex]

and how do I solve for this constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, this is kind of cheesy but:

You've got x = 5(1-e-x)

So plug that into a graphing calculator

(y = x-5(1-e-x), find x where y = 0)

Then you can write λT = hc/(kx), plugging in that value for x to find the value of the constant.

I think there is a better way to find that answer, but I'm not a mathematician and I don't remember it. Do you think that's good enough?

The equation is transcendental. You have no choice but to solve it numerically.

As for how it's constant, the entire right hand of the equation is a constant and all but T and [itex]\lambda[/itex] are constants on the left.

cookiemonster

Yes, thanks, I did finally realize that everything but
T and lambda are constant so T*lambda must be constant.

But when I solve with the calculator
x = 5(1-e^(-x))
it gives me x=0
which, come to think of it, seems perfectly correct.

Except, it makes no sense, because how can it be that
[tex]\frac{hc}{{k_B}T{\lambda}} = 0 [/tex]
?

It can't! That's why you have to discard that solution. It's impossible to get [itex]\frac{hc}{{k_B}T{\lambda}} = 0 [/itex] because hc clearly is not zero. There is, however, another solution.

Try plotting y = x and y = 5(1-e^(-x)) on the same screen and find where the two intersect.

cookiemonster

Originally posted by cookiemonster
The equation is transcendental. You have no choice but to solve it numerically.

As for how it's constant, the entire right hand of the equation is a constant and all but T and [itex]\lambda[/itex] are constants on the left.

cookiemonster

Oh, right. I guess I'm not as cheesy as I thought. What a shame, I really like cheese.

That works -- after a bit of trial and error I get x = 4.965 as a pretty good approximation. That will let me solve for Tλ

Is that the "usual" technique for solving equations of this form?

How would you solve it if you didn't have a graphing device?

I'd probably use bisection.

I'd guess that it lies between 4 and 5, test if the function y = 5(1-e^(-x)) - x crosses the x-axis between these points. y(4) is positive and y(5) is negative. Try y(4.5). If it's positive (it is), then we have a new lower bound, since the function crosses between 4.5 and 5. So try 4.75. You get the idea.

cookiemonster

Thanks, but I like your graph trick better. :wink:

Hope I remember it the next time a problem like this comes up.

PS:
James, if you graph
(y = x-5(1-e^(-x)), find x where y = 0)
on your calculator, you get (0,0).
(At least, that's all I get on mine.)

Last edited:
To solve this equation you could use an itterative method. You first assume the exponential term is small so that
[itex]
\frac{hc}{\lambda_mk_BT}=5
[/itex]
Then you put that in as the argument of your exponent to get the next itteration of
[itex]
\frac{hc}{\lambda_mk_BT}=5(1-e^{-5})
[/itex]
and continue this to get the root to desired accuracy.

Super!

It seems to take just a few iterations to get a good result, with very little thinking involved. What could be better?

Thanks.

Originally posted by gnome
Thanks, but I like your graph trick better. :wink:

Hope I remember it the next time a problem like this comes up.

PS:
James, if you graph
(y = x-5(1-e^(-x)), find x where y = 0)
on your calculator, you get (0,0).
(At least, that's all I get on mine.)

Really? I've got zero crossings at the origin and at x = 4.9651142317
(please forgive the obscene # of decimal places; I've got a root finder on my calculator (it probably uses Newton-Raphson or some other iterative method to find the root)). The function looks kind of like a v tilted to the right.

Anyway, none of that's important now since you solved it already. I hope I didn't add confusion.

Not at all, James. Your suggestions are always appreciated. How were you to know that I have a crappy calculator?

1. How is Wien's Displacement Law derived from Planck's Law?

Wien's Displacement Law can be derived from Planck's Law by taking the derivative of Planck's Law with respect to wavelength and setting it equal to zero. This results in the peak wavelength, or the wavelength at which maximum energy is emitted, being equal to a constant value divided by the temperature.

2. What is the significance of Wien's Displacement Law?

Wien's Displacement Law is significant because it provides a relationship between the peak wavelength of blackbody radiation and the temperature of the object emitting the radiation. This allows us to determine the temperature of a blackbody object by measuring the peak wavelength of its emitted radiation.

3. How does Wien's Displacement Law relate to the Stefan-Boltzmann Law?

Wien's Displacement Law and the Stefan-Boltzmann Law are both laws that govern blackbody radiation. While Wien's Law relates the peak wavelength to temperature, the Stefan-Boltzmann Law relates the total energy emitted by a blackbody to its temperature. Both laws are derived from Planck's Law and are important in understanding the behavior of blackbody objects.

4. Can Wien's Displacement Law be applied to objects other than blackbodies?

No, Wien's Displacement Law only applies to blackbody objects, which are theoretical objects that absorb and emit all radiation that falls on them. Real objects, such as stars and planets, are not perfect blackbodies and therefore do not follow Wien's Law exactly. However, the law can still provide a good approximation for these objects.

5. How does Wien's Displacement Law support the concept of quantization of energy?

Wien's Displacement Law is derived from Planck's Law, which is based on the concept of quantization of energy. This means that energy is not continuous, but rather exists in discrete packets called photons. The peak wavelength predicted by Wien's Law depends on the energy of these photons, further supporting the concept of quantization of energy.