Questioning a Linear & Angular Kinematics Equation

In summary: Thank you!In summary, the equation a = sqrt( (tangential acceleration)2 + (radial acceleration)2 ) relates the two types of acceleration and explains why the square root of the two squares of acceleration equals the total.
AJBalbirnie

Homework Statement

I'm reviewing a chapter relating linear and angular kinematics, and I came across this equation.. why does it work and where does it come from? I can't seem to find anything in the textbook explaining it.

Homework Equations

a = sqrt( (tangential acceleration)2 + (radial acceleration)2 )

The Attempt at a Solution

I know all of the basics quite well, I just don't understand where this formula came from! All help will be very appreciated. Please don't go too in depth and waste your time! A simple answer should definitely suffice! Thank you! .

Physics news on Phys.org

Pythagoras theorem: a2 = ...

Additionally, why does the square root of the two squares of acceleration equal the total. I'm not exactly sure how you would go about "Drawing a triangle" or anything like that.

Hi AJBalbirnie
The tangential acceleration and radial acceleration are orthogonal to each other. they are the components of the total acceleration.
So the triangle you are looking for is: the hypotenuse is the total acceleration and the other sides are the tangential and radial components

Thank you. The issue is more visual to me than actually knowing the sides of the triangle though. Thanks.

The orthogonal part makes it all go together though. Thank you.

AJBalbirnie said:
Additionally, why does the square root of the two squares of acceleration equal the total. I'm not exactly sure how you would go about "Drawing a triangle" or anything like that.
An object or particle moving along a curved path always expeiences an acceleration directed radially inward toward the center of the curve. This is called centripetal or radial acceleration. At the same time, the particle or object may also be accelerating along the path of the curve (its circumference, if the path is circular) , which is a tangential acceleration perpendicular to the radial acceleration. Acceleration is a vector, and the total acceleration is the resultant acceleration of the two perpendicular vectors, per Pythagoras. As an example, an object moving in a horizontal circle with constant speed experiences a radial acceleration but no tangential acceleration, while an object like a roller coaster moving in a vertical circle experiences both a radial and tangential acceleration.

In the future, please post questions related to your understanding of general Physics , that are not specific homework questions, in the General Physics sub-forum.

Related to Questioning a Linear & Angular Kinematics Equation

1. What is linear kinematics?

Linear kinematics is the study of motion in a straight line, without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in a linear path.

2. What is angular kinematics?

Angular kinematics is the study of motion along a circular path, such as rotation. It involves analyzing the angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration of an object.

3. How do I calculate linear and angular kinematics equations?

To calculate linear kinematics equations, you will need to use the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. For angular kinematics, you will need to use the equation ω = ω0 + αt, where ω is the final angular velocity, ω0 is the initial angular velocity, α is the angular acceleration, and t is the time.

4. What are the units for linear and angular kinematics equations?

The units for linear kinematics equations are meters per second (m/s) for velocity, meters per second squared (m/s2) for acceleration, and seconds (s) for time. For angular kinematics equations, the units are radians per second (rad/s) for angular velocity, radians per second squared (rad/s2) for angular acceleration, and seconds (s) for time.

5. How can linear and angular kinematics equations be applied in real-life situations?

Linear and angular kinematics equations can be used to analyze and predict the motion of objects in various scenarios, such as the trajectory of a projectile, the motion of a pendulum, or the movement of a rotating object. They are also used in sports science to study the performance of athletes, and in engineering to design and optimize machines and vehicles.