Question ' write the elements of set A'

In summary: Representing in a number line,A={1,2,3,4,5,6,...}Correct I guess?In summary, the conversation discusses a problem statement with a possible typo and clarifies two potential interpretations. The first interpretation results in an empty set, while the second interpretation results in a set of positive integers with a pattern of increasing values. The conversation also suggests contacting the problem author for clarification.
mathlearn
Cam_Scanner_New_Document_30_e30820120d30_P40_T40_Q00.jpg

Any ideas on how to begin

Many thanks :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mathlearn said:
Any ideas on how to begin

Many thanks :)

Hi mathlearn! (Smile)

To be honest, that looks like some kind of typo in the problem statement.If we read it like:
$$A=\{x \mid x \in \mathbb Z^+, \mathbb Z > x - 3 \}$$
then it would or should mean that $x-3$ is smaller than any element of $\mathbb Z$, which is never the case.
In that case $A$ is the empty set ($\varnothing$).Alternatively, if we read it as:
$$A=\{x \mid x \in \mathbb Z^+, z > x - 3 \}$$
where $z$ is some number that is presumably in $\mathbb Z^+$, then we have $0<x < z+3$.
So in that case the elements of $A$ are $1, 2, ..., z+2$.

I like Serena said:
Hi mathlearn! (Smile)

To be honest, that looks like some kind of typo in the problem statement.Alternatively, if we read it as:
where $z$ is some number that is presumably in $\mathbb Z^+$, then we have $0<x < z+3$.

Reading it in Set builder method

"The set of all x such that x is a positive integer, where z is some number positive number greater that x - 3"

so z(a positive integer,this case 1)> 1-3 = -2-------------------(✖ not a positive integer)
z(a positive integer,this case 2)> 2-3 = -1-------------------(✖ not a positive integer)
z(a positive integer,this case 3)> 3-3 = 0-------------------(✖ neither negative nor positive)
z(a positive integer,this case 4)> 4-3 = 1-------------------(✔ a positive integer)
z(a positive integer, this case 5)> 5-3 = 2-------------------(✔ a positive integer)

and so on like I like Serena ; the numbers are 1,2,3,4,5... on

Representing in a number line,

Capturenumberline.png

OR

A=$\left\{1,2,3,4,5,6,...\right\}$

Correct I guess?

Many Thanks :)

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
Alternatively, if we read it as:

mathlearn said:
Reading it in Set builder method

"The set of all x such that x is a positive integer, where z is some number positive number greater that x - 3"
Even though ILS said that $z$ is presumably in $\mathbb Z^+$, one cannot be certain this is the case. I recommend contacting the problem author and clarifying the problem statement. I don't have high confidence in a problem statement that uses the euro symbol instead of $\in$ and uses the same symbol $Z$ for a set and an individual number.

mathlearn said:
so z(a positive integer,this case 1)> 1-3 = -2-------------------(✖ not a positive integer)
z(a positive integer,this case 2)> 2-3 = -1-------------------(✖ not a positive integer)
z(a positive integer,this case 3)> 3-3 = 0-------------------(✖ neither negative nor positive)
z(a positive integer,this case 4)> 4-3 = 1-------------------(✔ a positive integer)
z(a positive integer, this case 5)> 5-3 = 2-------------------(✔ a positive integer)

and so on like I like Serena ; the numbers are 1,2,3,4,5... on
The set consists not of $z$s, but of $x$s. The number $z$ has to be given up front, before we consider the definition of set $A$. As ILS wrote, once $z$ is given, $A=\{1,2,\dots,z+2\}$.

Related to Question ' write the elements of set A'

What is a set?

A set is a collection of distinct objects or elements that are grouped together based on a shared characteristic or property.

What are the elements of a set?

The elements of a set are the individual objects or items that make up the set. These can be numbers, letters, words, or any other type of object.

How are sets represented?

Sets are typically represented using curly braces { } and separating the elements with commas. For example, if set A is composed of the numbers 1, 2, and 3, it can be written as A = {1, 2, 3}.

What is the cardinality of a set?

The cardinality of a set is the number of elements in the set. It is denoted by |A|, where A is the name of the set. For example, if set A has 5 elements, its cardinality would be written as |A| = 5.

What is the empty set?

The empty set, also known as the null set, is a set that contains no elements. It is denoted by the symbol ∅ or { }. It is different from a set with no elements, as it is a specific and distinct type of set.