Question: What happens to absorbed light?

In summary, an apple that is black absorbs more light than a white apple. This causes the black apple to heat up more quickly than a white apple. However, the story does not end there. The second law of thermodynamics applies and one of the implications is that if an object absorbs poorly in a particular range of frequencies then it will emit poorly in that range. So although the black apple warms up more rapidly, both apples can reach the same temperature.
Boltzman Oscillation
Suppose I have two apples, one is white and the other is black. Both apples are exactly the same except for their colors. The black apple is darker than the white apple because it absorbs more energy than the white apple, correct? Would that mean that the black apple would have a higher energy? Or does light absorb not effect energy at all? I know for sure that a black apple would be hotter than a lighter apple if under the same light which would cause it to have more energy but is there another effect caused by the color change?

Science news on Phys.org
Boltzman Oscillation said:
Suppose I have two apples, one is white and the other is black. Both apples are exactly the same except for their colors. The black apple is darker than the white apple because it absorbs more energy than the white apple, correct? Would that mean that the black apple would have a higher energy? Or does light absorb not effect energy at all? I know for sure that a black apple would be hotter than a lighter apple if under the same light which would cause it to have more energy but is there another effect caused by the color change?
Maybe i answered my own question but any added information would help. Or any corrections!

A black apple will absorb more visible light than a white apple. When bathed in white light, it will warm up more rapidly than a white apple. But the story does not end there.

The second law of thermodynamics applies. One of the implications is that if an object absorbs poorly in a particular range of frequencies then it will emit poorly in that range as well. So although the black apple warms up more rapidly, both apples can reach the same temperature. But the story does not end there either.

An apple at room temperature absorbs visible light from the sun and emits infrared radiation toward the ground and the rest of the sky. You may be able to make it black at visible frequencies and "white" at infrared frequencies, thus giving it a higher-than-expected equilibrium temperature. Or vice-versa for a lower-than-expected temperature.

Likes Dale
jbriggs444 said:
An apple at room temperature absorbs visible light from the sun and emits infrared radiation toward the ground and the rest of the sky. You may be able to make it black at visible frequencies and "white" at infrared frequencies, thus giving it a higher-than-expected equilibrium temperature. Or vice-versa for a lower-than-expected temperature.
The fairest test situation would be to start with the apple in a box with walls of uniform temperature.

Likes jbriggs444
sophiecentaur said:
The fairest test situation would be to start with the apple in a box with walls of uniform temperature.
Yes, though that idealization does not reflect everyday life on Earth.

jbriggs444 said:

The extreme in the other direction could be an object in space where the surrounding space is not far above 0K but the Sun, which only subtends 0.5degree is around 6000K. The net 'average' is around 300K - now how about that?

Likes jbriggs444
jbriggs444 said:
A black apple will absorb more visible light than a white apple. When bathed in white light, it will warm up more rapidly than a white apple. But the story does not end there.

The second law of thermodynamics applies. One of the implications is that if an object absorbs poorly in a particular range of frequencies then it will emit poorly in that range as well. So although the black apple warms up more rapidly, both apples can reach the same temperature. But the story does not end there either.

I have a question that has been messing with me. The apple is black because it absorbs less light than the white apple. This means that the chemical composition of the white apple and the black apple MUST be different. So my question, which assumes that both apples are the same composition, is incorrect right?

Also is there any book that will teach me more about this?

Sorry but what do you mean when you say this, "You may be able to make it black at visible frequencies and "white" at infrared frequencies, thus giving it a higher-than-expected equilibrium temperature. Or vice-versa for a lower-than-expected temperature." What do you mean by "it", the apple? I can make the apple black by shinning visible lights on it?

I have a question that has been messing with me. The apple is black because it absorbs less light than the white apple. This means that the chemical composition of the white apple and the black apple MUST be different. So my question, which assumes that both apples are the same composition, is incorrect right?
The black apple absorbs more and reflects less. Hence the lack of reflected light. But yes, there is something different about the surfaces of the two apples.

Likes davenn
So my question, which assumes that both apples are the same composition, is incorrect right?
They may taste similar so the composition of the insides will be much the same. The composition of the skins will be different.

Sorry but what do you mean when you say this, "You may be able to make it black at visible frequencies and "white" at infrared frequencies, thus giving it a higher-than-expected equilibrium temperature. Or vice-versa for a lower-than-expected temperature." What do you mean by "it", the apple? I can make the apple black by shinning visible lights on it?
Good question. I don't get it either. The equilibrium temperature should be the same.
Also is there any book that will teach me more about this?
A book on thermodynamics or thermal physics.

I can make the apple black by shinning visible lights on it?
The proportion of light reflected versus light absorbed will usually depend on the frequency distribution of the light shining on it. An apple that reflects strongly in the red range will tend to look darker if viewed in a light which is devoid of reddish frequencies, yes.

The second law of thermodynamics has something to say if the apple is illuminated in a black body spectrum. It has less to say if the illuminating spectrum is skewed.

jbriggs444 said:
The second law of thermodynamics has something to say if the apple is illuminated in a black body spectrum. It has less to say if the illuminating spectrum is skewed.
It will still day that at equilibrium, the two objects will have the same temperature.

I have a feeling that you are thinking in terms of a steady state situation, not equilibrium.

DrClaude said:
I have a feeling that you are thinking in terms of a steady state situation, not equilibrium.
Just so. An apple in the sun is not in thermal equilibrium either with the sun or with the rest of the sky.

jbriggs444 said:
Just so. An apple in the sun is not in thermal equilibrium either with the sun or with the rest of the sky.
We agree then!
jbriggs444 said:

An apple at room temperature absorbs visible light from the sun and emits infrared radiation toward the ground and the rest of the sky. You may be able to make it black at visible frequencies and "white" at infrared frequencies, thus giving it a higher-than-expected equilibrium steady state temperature. Or vice-versa for a lower-than-expected temperature.

Likes jbriggs444
jbriggs444 said:

Neither do black and white apples to be honest.

1. What happens to the energy of absorbed light?

When light is absorbed by an object, the energy of the light is converted into other forms of energy. This can include thermal energy, which causes the object to heat up, or chemical energy, which can be used for photosynthesis in plants.

2. How does the color of an object relate to absorbed light?

The color of an object is determined by the wavelengths of light that are absorbed and reflected by the object. For example, a red object appears red because it absorbs all other colors of light except for red, which is reflected.

3. What happens to the absorbed light in different materials?

The behavior of absorbed light can vary depending on the material it is absorbed by. In some materials, the light may be completely absorbed and converted into other forms of energy. In others, the light may be scattered or reflected.

4. Does the amount of absorbed light affect the temperature of an object?

Yes, the amount of light absorbed by an object can have an impact on its temperature. This is because the absorbed light is converted into thermal energy, which can cause the object to heat up.

5. How does the wavelength of absorbed light affect its behavior?

The wavelength of absorbed light can determine how the light behaves within a material. For example, shorter wavelengths of light (such as blue or violet) tend to be absorbed more easily by materials, while longer wavelengths (such as red or orange) are more likely to be transmitted or reflected.