Question to a calculation rule -> Dirac formalism

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of an expression involving operators and quantum states. It was determined that the expression could not be simplified to only involve the quantum state alpha, and the final solution was provided using the rule that a multiplied by the quantum state alpha is equal to alpha multiplied by the quantum state.
Lindsayyyy
Hi everyone

Homework Statement

I have a question: Am I allowed to do the following, where the a's are operators and the alphas are quantum states.

[tex] \langle \alpha \mid a^\dagger a^\dagger a a \mid \alpha \rangle = \langle \alpha \mid a^\dagger a^\dagger \mid \alpha \rangle \langle \alpha \mid a a \mid \alpha \rangle[/tex]

Well, I think I am allowed to, but I'm not sure how to verify this.

Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you can't. For that to be true, you'd have to have ##\lvert \alpha \rangle \langle \alpha \rvert = 1##, which is almost certainly not the case.

vela said:
No, you can't. For that to be true, you'd have to have ##\lvert \alpha \rangle \langle \alpha \rvert = 1##, which is almost certainly not the case.

and when the alpha is a coherent state?

Not even then, it would require the annihilation operator to be a self-adjoint operator (moreover a projector), which is not the case.

Ok thank you.

my problem is the following: I want to simplyfy the following expression

[tex] \langle \alpha \mid a^\dagger a^\dagger a a + a^\dagger a \mid \alpha \rangle [/tex]

I'm very uncertain about calculation rules when it comes to operators and states

is the expression above the same as?:
[tex] \langle \alpha \mid (a^\dagger a^\dagger a a \mid \alpha \rangle + a^\dagger a \mid \alpha \rangle) [/tex]

or doesn't that help at all?

I think the aim here is to get an expressin which only has the alpha (as an eigen value) in it. The task is about calculating the expectation value

Last edited:
[tex] \langle \alpha \mid a^\dagger a^\dagger a a + a^\dagger a \mid \alpha \rangle = \langle \alpha \mid a^\dagger a^\dagger a a \mid \alpha \rangle + \langle \alpha \mid a^\dagger a \mid \alpha \rangle
= \alpha \alpha^* \langle \alpha \mid a^\dagger a \mid \alpha \rangle +|\alpha|^2
= |\alpha|^4 +|\alpha|^2[/tex]

sorry for making a new reply, I tried to edit, but didn't come out in latex format.
To get to this solution I used that

[tex] a\mid \alpha \rangle = \alpha \mid \alpha \rangle [/tex]

and the equivalent for the bra vector

It looks OK to me.

Related to Question to a calculation rule -> Dirac formalism

1. What is the Dirac formalism?

The Dirac formalism is a mathematical framework developed by physicist Paul Dirac to describe the behavior of quantum particles. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics and uses a combination of matrices and complex numbers to represent the state of a particle and its interactions.

2. How does the Dirac formalism differ from other quantum mechanical formalisms?

The Dirac formalism differs from other quantum mechanical formalisms in its use of matrices and complex numbers, as well as its incorporation of the principles of special relativity. It also allows for a more concise and elegant representation of quantum systems.

3. What is the significance of the Dirac equation in the Dirac formalism?

The Dirac equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of spin-½ particles, such as electrons, in the framework of the Dirac formalism. It is a cornerstone of quantum mechanics and has been instrumental in the development of modern physics.

4. How is the Dirac formalism used in practical applications?

The Dirac formalism is used in a variety of practical applications, including quantum field theory, particle physics, and quantum computing. It provides a powerful tool for understanding the behavior of quantum systems and has led to numerous technological advancements.

5. Are there any limitations to the Dirac formalism?

Like any scientific model, the Dirac formalism has its limitations. It does not fully explain all phenomena in the quantum world, such as the behavior of particles with higher spin. Additionally, it does not account for the effects of gravity. However, it remains an essential tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of quantum particles.