Question: Solving the 10000-meter run time problem with constant acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a runner needs to accelerate in order to complete a 10000-meter run in less than 30.0 minutes. The person providing the solution made a mistake with the initial velocity, resulting in a wrong answer compared to the one given in the textbook. They are seeking help in identifying their mistake.
kylera
Bloody textbooks and their odd answers...

I've tried to solve this problem, and I've solved through it, only to realize that my answer and the book answer are drastically different. A keen eye in the process would be most appreciated.

Question: A runner hopes to complete the 10000-meter run in less than 30.0 minutes. After 27.0 minutes, there are still 1100 meters to go. The runner must then accelerate at 0.20 m/s^2 for how many seconds in order to achieve the desired time?

My solution:
Initial velocity = the rate at which the previous 8900 meters was covered in 27.0 minutes = 8900/27.0 = 3.29e2 m/s
Final velocity = the rate at which the last 1100 meters must be covered in the last 3.0 minutes = 1100/3.0 = 3.7e2 m/s

I then used the 'final velocity' = 'initial velocity' + 'time' * 'acceleration' equation, and got what I thought was, and turned out to be, an absurd value for 'time' = 200(!) seconds. The book says '3.1 seconds'. Can anyone see my mistake here so far, or what I should've or should not have done? Much thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
your initial velocity is not in m/s- when you divided it, you got 329 m/minutes.

D'oh!

Thanks!

Related to Question: Solving the 10000-meter run time problem with constant acceleration

1. What is constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration is when an object's velocity changes by the same amount every second. This means that the object's speed is increasing or decreasing at a constant rate.

2. How is constant acceleration calculated?

Constant acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

3. What is the difference between constant acceleration and uniform motion?

Constant acceleration involves a change in velocity, while uniform motion involves a constant velocity. In other words, an object experiencing constant acceleration will have a changing speed, while an object in uniform motion will maintain a constant speed.

4. How does constant acceleration affect an object's motion?

Constant acceleration will cause an object to move in a straight line with a constantly changing velocity. This means that the object's displacement and velocity will be directly proportional, and its position-time graph will be a curved line.

5. What are some real-life examples of constant acceleration?

Some real-life examples of constant acceleration include a car accelerating from a stop sign, a roller coaster going down a hill, and a person jumping off a diving board. In each of these cases, the object's velocity is changing at a constant rate.