Question: scalars from vectors

In summary, the conversation is about solving the equation aA+bB+C=0 to find the scalars a and b. The participants discuss different approaches, such as using the Pythagorean theorem and vector addition, to solve the problem. Ultimately, the solution involves setting up a system of equations and solving for the unknown scalars.
Dorita
I saw this question posted yesterday, and now got a similar question to work out.

A = (6i-8j) cm
B = (-8i+3j) cm
C = (26i+19j) cm

aA+bB+C=0

Determine the two scalars a and b.

Ideas anyone??

Thanks

Dora

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
C=0 ?? But you just said C=26i+19j . Is this a typo? or did you mean aA+bB-C=0

in which case aA+bB=C
seems pretty straightforward to me. Split it up into the vector components, and youll have 2 equations with 2 unknowns, easily solveable.

Sorry. That was a tipo. I made a mistake.

aA+bB+C=0 not aA+bB=C=0 not

Well, what have you done so far? How have you approached it?

I used the equation a^2 + b^2 = c^2 and the coodinates (6,-8) and (-8,3) to determine that the magnitude of A is 0.5cm and that the magnitude of B is 0.7cm. But I don't know if that is what is meant by "determine the two scalars a and b". I'm asuming scalars in this question is the scalar quantity or "magnitude".

Last edited:
The "equation a^2+ b^2= c^2" doesn't even make sense here. You are given vectors A, B, C, not numbers a, b, c (and you certainly don't have any number c).

Do you know how to add vectors and multiply vectors by a number? That should have been ther first thing you learned!

If A= 6i+8j, then aA= (6a)i+ (8a)j.

If B= -8i+ 3j, then bB= (-8b)i+ (3b)j

aA+ bB = (6a- 8b)i+ (8a+ 3b)j and that must be equal to C= 26i+ 19j.

Okay, have you learned that two vectors are equal only if the respective components are equal?

To have aA+ bB= C, you must have (6a- 8b)i+ (8a+ 3b)j= 26i+ 19j and so
6a- 8b= 26 and -8a+ 3b= 19.

Can you solve those two equations for a and b?

Related to Question: scalars from vectors

1. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you convert a vector to a scalar?

To convert a vector to a scalar, you can take the magnitude of the vector, which is the length of the vector in a specific direction.

3. What are some examples of scalars and vectors in real life?

Examples of scalars include temperature, mass, and time. Examples of vectors include velocity, displacement, and force.

4. How are scalars and vectors represented in mathematics?

Scalars are represented by single numbers, while vectors are represented by a combination of numbers and direction indicators, such as arrows or bold font.

5. Can a scalar be added to a vector?

No, a scalar and a vector cannot be added together because they have different properties. However, a scalar can be multiplied by a vector to change its magnitude or direction.