Question related to Riemann sums, sups, and infs of bounded functions

In summary, an example of a bounded function defined on a closed interval [a,b] that does not attain its sup or inf on the interval is f(x) = x except at the end points where it equals (a+b)/2. Another example is f(x) = \sum_{n = 0}^\infty \frac{n}{n+1} \chi_{\left[ \left. \frac{n}{n+1},\frac{n+1}{n+2} \right) \right.}(x) on [0,1].
AxiomOfChoice
Can someone give me an example of a bounded function [itex]f[/itex] defined on a closed interval [itex][a,b][/itex] such that [itex]f[/itex] does not attain its sup (or inf) on this interval? Obviously, [itex]f[/itex] cannot be continuous, but for whatever reason (stupidity? lack of imagination?) I can't think of an example of a discontinuous, bounded function for which [itex]\sup\limits_{x\in [a,b]} f(x) \neq \max\limits_{x\in [a,b]} f(x)[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
AxiomOfChoice said:
Can someone give me an example of a bounded function [itex]f[/itex] defined on a closed interval [itex][a,b][/itex] such that [itex]f[/itex] does not attain its sup (or inf) on this interval? Obviously, [itex]f[/itex] cannot be continuous, but for whatever reason (stupidity? lack of imagination?) I can't think of an example of a discontinuous, bounded function for which [itex]\sup\limits_{x\in [a,b]} f(x) \neq \max\limits_{x\in [a,b]} f(x)[/itex].
f(x) = x except at the end points where it equals (a+b)/2

Hmmm...I think I may have just thought of one! On [itex][0,1][/itex], define [itex]f(1) = 0[/itex], and let
[tex]
f(x) = \sum_{n = 0}^\infty \frac{n}{n+1} \chi_{\left[ \left. \frac{n}{n+1},\frac{n+1}{n+2} \right) \right.}(x).
[/tex]
Then [itex]f(x) \leq 1[/itex] for all [itex]x[/itex], [itex]\sup\limits_{x\in[0,1]} f(x) = 1[/itex], but [itex]f(x) \neq 1[/itex] for all [itex]x\in [0,1][/itex]. And, if I'm not mistaken, [itex]f[/itex] is still Riemann integrable, since there are only countably many points at which it is discontinuous. Can someone confirm if this is actually true?

lavinia said:
f(x) = x except at the end points where it equals (a+b)/2
This is much easier than my example. Thanks!

Related to Question related to Riemann sums, sups, and infs of bounded functions

1. What is a Riemann sum?

A Riemann sum is a method of approximating the area under a curve by dividing the region into smaller rectangles and adding up their areas.

2. How is a Riemann sum used to find the area under a curve?

The Riemann sum is used to find the area under a curve by approximating the area of the region with smaller and smaller rectangles. As the width of the rectangles approaches zero, the sum of their areas approaches the exact area under the curve.

3. What is the significance of the sup and inf in Riemann sums?

The sup (supremum) and inf (infimum) are used in Riemann sums to determine the upper and lower bounds of the rectangles. The sup represents the maximum value of the function within a given interval, while the inf represents the minimum value. These values are used to calculate the height of the rectangles in the Riemann sum formula.

4. How are Riemann sums related to definite integrals?

Riemann sums are closely related to definite integrals, as they are both methods of finding the area under a curve. As the width of the rectangles in a Riemann sum approach zero, it becomes a definite integral, which is the exact area under the curve.

5. Can Riemann sums be used to approximate the area under any curve?

Yes, Riemann sums can be used to approximate the area under any curve as long as the function is bounded and continuous within the given interval. However, as the width of the rectangles decreases, the accuracy of the approximation increases.