Question related to motion / kinematics

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a bus and a cyclist, where the cyclist starts moving towards the bus with a constant speed of 20m/s. The goal is to find the time it takes for the cyclist to overtake the bus, taking into consideration the bus's acceleration of 2m/s^2. The attempt at a solution involves using the equation D = V*t, but this assumes constant speed motion which is not the case. Instead, the correct approach is to write the position of the cyclist and the bus as functions of time and solve for when they are equal.
hasnainzeenwa

Homework Statement

A bus starts moving with an acceleration of 2m/s^2. a cyclist, 96m behind the bus starts moving towards the bus simultaneously at 20m/s. in how much time will he overtake the bus.

Kindly point out the mistake in my solution too.

Homework Equations

v = u + at
s = ut + 1/2 * at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

As far as my thinking takes me, we have to use the concept of subtracting 2 velocities but as this is accelerated motion what I've done is that written a function f(t)

f(t) = u + at

in this case the initial velocity is 0

therefore, f(t) = at

which will give you the instantaneous velocity.

The cyclist is 96m behind therefore we need to find the time it would take for him to cover 96m
so I've come up with the following eqn.

(20 - f(t)) * t = 96

(20 - 2t) * t = 96

20t - 2t^2 = 96

We now have a quadratic equation after solving it I get the answer 5, but that is wrong and I don't know where I'm making a mistake, please point that out too.

Physics news on Phys.org
hasnainzeenwa said:
(20 - f(t)) * t = 96
This assumes that the speed is constant, but it's not.

Try this:
Write the position of the cyclist as a function of time. Write the position of the bus as a function of time. Solve for when those positions are equal.

"This assumes that the speed is constant."

I didn't understand how does it assume that.

hasnainzeenwa said:
"This assumes that the speed is constant."

I didn't understand how does it assume that.
You used the equation D = V*t, which applies to constant speed motion. (Even when you replace V with a function of time.)

Example:

Say that V = at.

What's the distance as a function of time? Using V*t, you'll get D = at2, which is incorrect. As you know, it is D = 1/2 at2.

Your approach to solving this problem is correct. However, there is a small mistake in your quadratic equation.

The correct equation should be:
20t - 2t^2 = 96

You have written:
(20 - 2t) * t = 96

This mistake changes the coefficient of t^2 from -2 to -1, which leads to an incorrect solution.

Correcting this mistake, the quadratic equation becomes:
-2t^2 + 20t - 96 = 0

Solving this equation will give you the correct answer of t = 6 seconds.

Overall, your understanding and approach to solving this problem using the equations of motion is correct. Keep practicing and double-checking your calculations to avoid small mistakes like this.

Related to Question related to motion / kinematics

1. What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is the total length of the path traveled by an object, while displacement is the shortest distance between the starting and ending point of an object's motion. Distance is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude, while displacement is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the rate at which an object covers distance, while velocity is the rate at which an object changes its position. Speed is a scalar quantity, while velocity is a vector quantity. Additionally, velocity takes into account the direction of an object's motion, while speed does not.

3. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is a vector quantity and is measured in units of distance per time squared (such as meters per second squared). In other words, it describes how quickly an object's velocity is changing in a given amount of time.

4. What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific instant in time. Average velocity gives an overall picture of an object's motion, while instantaneous velocity gives information about the object's velocity at a specific moment.

5. What is the difference between uniform and non-uniform motion?

Uniform motion is when an object covers equal distances in equal intervals of time, while non-uniform motion is when an object covers unequal distances in equal intervals of time. In other words, in uniform motion, the object's speed remains constant, while in non-uniform motion, the object's speed changes.