Question regarding tensors derive acceleration in polar form

In summary, the components of a vector in polar coordinates are the sum of the components in rectangular coordinates and the vector has a direction that is the difference of the two directions of the components in rectangular coordinates.
learningphysics
Homework Helper
I'm having trouble with this question. It's from Rindler's Introduction to Special Relativity which I'm going through myself. I'm just starting to learn about tensors.

<<<<i) A vector [tex]A^i[/tex] has components [tex]\dot{x}, \dot{y}[/tex] in rectangular Cartesian coordinates; what are its components in polar coordinates?>>>>

This part I believe I know. The components are [tex]\dot{r}, r\dot{\theta}[/tex]. The first component is the [tex]a_r[/tex] component and the second is the [tex]a_{\theta}[/tex] component.

<<<<ii) A vector [tex]B^i[/tex] has components [tex]\ddot{x}, \ddot{y}[/tex] in rectangular Cartesian coordinates; prove, directly from A.3 that its components in polar coordinates are [tex]\ddot{r}-r{(\ddot{\theta})}^2, \ddot{\theta}+2\dot{r}\dot{\theta}/r[/tex]>>>>

This is what A.3 says:
<<<<An object having components [tex]A^{ij...n}[/tex] in the [tex]x^i[/tex] system of coordinates and [tex]A^{i'j'...n'}[/tex] in the [tex]x^{i'}[/tex] system is said to behave as a contravariant tensor under the transformation [tex]\{x^i\}->\{x^{i'}\}[/tex] if [tex]A^{i'j'...n'}=A^{ij...n}{p_i}^{i'}{p_j}^{j'}...{p_n}^{n'}[/tex]>>>>

I'm not sure how this is to be done. The [tex]a_{\theta}[/tex] coordinate in part ii) seems to be divided by r. I don't know if this is a mistake in the book or there is some reason for it.

How do I use the definition of contravariant tensors to derive the formula for acceleration in polar coordinates? I really have no clue. I can derive the formula just using derivatives, but I don't see how to use tensors to derive it.

Thanks a bunch for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] A' ^{i}=\frac{\partial x' ^{i}}{\partial x^{j}} A^{j} [/tex] (1)

For

[tex] A^{j}=\left(\dot{x},\dot{y}\right) [/tex] (2)

So

[tex] A'^{1}=\frac{\partial\rho}{\partial x} \dot{x}+\frac{\partial\rho}{\partial y} \dot{y} =\cos\phi \ \left(\dot{\rho}\cos\phi-\rho\dot{\phi}\sin\phi\right)+\sin\phi \ \left(\dot{\rho}\sin\phi+\rho\dot{\phi}\cos\phi\right)=\dot{\rho} [/tex]

This is for the first comp of the transformed velocity.

U do the other "3" (one for velocity & 2 for acceleration).

Daniel.

Cool! Thanks a bunch dexter! :biggrin:

Related to Question regarding tensors derive acceleration in polar form

1. What is a tensor?

A tensor is a mathematical object that represents a physical quantity in a coordinate-independent manner. It is characterized by its rank, which is the number of indices needed to describe it, and its components, which are the coefficients that relate the tensor to a specific coordinate system.

2. How do you derive acceleration in polar form using tensors?

To derive acceleration in polar form using tensors, you need to first define the polar coordinates as a transformation of the Cartesian coordinates. Then, you can use the tensor transformation law to relate the acceleration in Cartesian form to the acceleration in polar form.

3. What is the significance of using tensors in deriving acceleration?

Tensors provide a way to express physical quantities in a coordinate-independent manner, which is crucial in physics. By using tensors, we can derive the same equations and laws of motion in different coordinate systems, making our understanding of the physical world more comprehensive.

4. Can tensors be used to derive other physical quantities?

Yes, tensors can be used to derive many other physical quantities, such as velocity, force, and stress. They are particularly useful in fields such as relativity and fluid mechanics, where coordinate transformations are common.

5. Are there any limitations to using tensors in physics?

Tensors are a powerful tool in physics, but they do have some limitations. They can be quite abstract and require a solid understanding of mathematics to work with. Additionally, they may not be necessary for simpler systems, where simpler mathematical tools can be used instead.