Question regarding eigenvalues of angular momentum operator

In summary, all eigenvalues of the angular momentum Lz in Schwabl's Quantum Mechanics have algebraic multiplicity 1, as the operators are represented by matrices with only one nonzero element for each eigenvalue. For further information on unitary representation of SU(2) and its application to Quantum Mechanics, the book "Group Theory and Its Applications in Physics" by V.V. Dodonov and V.I. Man'ko is recommended.
valy112
Hello! First of all let me wish you a happy new year!

This is not a homework problem, but rather a curiosity of mine.
In Schwabl's Quantum Mechanics, one can find the proof of the fact that all eigenvalues of the angular momentum Lz are either integers or half-integers, raging from -l to l(l is just a notation they use). My question is, do all these eigenvalues have algebraic multiplicity 1, and if this is true, why?(I guess the fact, if true, should be proved using some subtle physical condition, since using math doesn't seem to work)

Also, does anyone know of a book where I could find information on unitary representation of SU(2)(or of SU(2) in general) and its application to Quantum Mechanics. Valentin

Physics news on Phys.org
. Yes, all eigenvalues of the angular momentum Lz have algebraic multiplicity 1. This is because the angular momentum operators in Quantum Mechanics are represented by matrices, and these matrices have only one nonzero element for each eigenvalue. Since the number of nonzero elements must equal the algebraic multiplicity, it follows that the algebraic multiplicity of each eigenvalue is 1. As for books on unitary representation of SU(2) and its application to Quantum Mechanics, I would suggest checking out the book "Group Theory and Its Applications in Physics" by V.V. Dodonov and V.I. Man'ko. It has a detailed discussion of SU(2) and its unitary representations, as well as their use in Quantum Mechanics.

Related to Question regarding eigenvalues of angular momentum operator

1. What is the definition of eigenvalues of the angular momentum operator?

The eigenvalues of the angular momentum operator represent the possible values of the angular momentum of a physical system. They are obtained by solving the eigenvalue equation for the operator, which represents the physical quantity of angular momentum.

2. How are eigenvalues of the angular momentum operator related to the spin of a particle?

The eigenvalues of the angular momentum operator are related to the spin of a particle by the fact that the operator represents the total angular momentum of the particle, which is the sum of its orbital angular momentum and its spin angular momentum. The eigenvalues correspond to the different possible values of the total angular momentum.

3. Can the eigenvalues of the angular momentum operator be negative?

No, the eigenvalues of the angular momentum operator cannot be negative. This is because the operator represents a physical quantity, and physical quantities cannot have negative values.

4. How do the eigenvalues of the angular momentum operator change for different orientations?

The eigenvalues of the angular momentum operator do not change for different orientations. They represent the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle, which is a constant value regardless of its orientation.

5. What is the significance of the eigenvalues of the angular momentum operator in quantum mechanics?

The eigenvalues of the angular momentum operator have significant importance in quantum mechanics as they represent the quantized values of angular momentum, which is a fundamental quantity in the description of physical systems at the quantum level. They also play a crucial role in determining the possible outcomes of measurements of angular momentum in quantum systems.