Question regarding decay, protons and neutrons

In summary: You can use the same equation, but change the half-life to t/λ.Now for the second part...this ones a doozy..I don't even know which equation would be best. I see Log, etc.t/½= ln2/λIf you know the initial amount and the half-life, how can you calculate how much is left after some time t? The same formula works for the other direction, known remaning mass but unknown half-life.
ezach1

Homework Statement

[/B]
You find a 1kg piece of rock containing 3 elements:
Fakium with 50 protons and 52 neutrons
imaginium with 52 protons and 48 neutrons
madeupium with 51 protons and 51 neutrons
Fakium is known to be radio active, Which of the other two elements could be the decay product and why?
On January 1st 2016 at 9am, you take a piece of the rock into the lab and measure that it is comprised of 0.5kg of fakium, 0.2kg imaginium, and 0.3kg madeupium. Exactly 24 hours later, you do the same measurement and find that the mass of fakium is now 0.48kg. What is the half life of fakium?
How long will it take until there is only 0.1kg of fakium left in the rock??

Homework Equations

[/B]
t½=ln2
---
λ

The Attempt at a Solution

Im dying over here but I know I can do this. If anyone is willing to help me I am willing to help myself too.
I believe Madeupium would be the decay product because it has decayed to 51 protons.
Im still working on the rest smh...

Physics news on Phys.org
Which types of radioactive decay do you know? Which one could be relevant here?
ezach1 said:
I believe Madeupium would be the decay product because it has decayed to 51 protons.
What about the neutrons?
ezach1 said:
Im still working on the rest smh...
If you know the initial amount and the half-life, how can you calculate how much is left after some time t? The same formula works for the other direction, known remaning mass but unknown half-life.

The neutrons are the same for madeupium, but imaginium has 52 protons

mfb said:
Which types of radioactive decay do you know? Which one could be relevant here?

Im not quite sure what you mean??

ezach1 said:
The neutrons are the same for madeupium
51 and 52 are the same?
ezach1 said:
Im not quite sure what you mean??
I'm not sure how that question can be unclear.

Gamma, Alpha , Beta..
51 and 52 arent the same...i apologize

It can't be beta decay because the protons are higher in both elements

ezach1 said:
It can't be beta decay because the protons are higher in both elements
There are two types of beta decay.

(You can edit your posts if you want to add something, by the way).

mfb said:
There are two types of beta decay.

(You can edit your posts if you want to add something, by the way).
Gotcha...beta plus and minus.

i say its madeupium and I believe it has undergone beta 4 decay.The numbers of protons and neutrons in an atom's nucleus change during beta decay, the total number of particles (protons + neutrons) remains the same.

thanks for your help...you wouldn't believe how much it means to me..

Now for the second part...this ones a doozy..I don't even know which equation would be best. I see Log, etc.

t/½= ln2/λ

Last edited:
See above.
mfb said:
If you know the initial amount and the half-life, how can you calculate how much is left after some time t? The same formula works for the other direction, known remaning mass but unknown half-life.

Related to Question regarding decay, protons and neutrons

1. What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process by which an unstable atomic nucleus loses energy by emitting radiation, such as alpha or beta particles, and transforms into a more stable nucleus.

2. What are protons and neutrons?

Protons and neutrons are subatomic particles found in the nucleus of an atom. Protons have a positive charge, while neutrons have no charge. Together, they make up the majority of an atom's mass.

3. How does radioactive decay occur?

Radioactive decay occurs when the nucleus of an atom is unstable and has an excess of either protons or neutrons. To become more stable, the nucleus will release particles or energy, resulting in a different element or isotope.

4. Can radioactive decay be harmful?

Yes, depending on the type and amount of radiation emitted, radioactive decay can be harmful to living organisms. Exposure to high levels of radiation can damage cells and DNA, leading to health problems such as cancer.

5. How does the number of protons and neutrons affect an atom's stability?

The number of protons and neutrons in an atom's nucleus determine its stability. If there is an imbalance in the number of these particles, the atom will be unstable and undergo radioactive decay to achieve a more stable state.