Question regarding certification

In summary, the discussion involves a senior student with an undergraduate degree in mathematics education considering a career in the wireless industry. They are wondering if they need a BSEE or can complete a Master's in EE in order to take the Fundamentals of Engineering exam and eventually the Professional Engineering exam in Pennsylvania. They also ask if general courses and mathematics courses from their current degree would transfer if they decide to pursue a second BS degree. The answer is dependent on the state's regulations and the specific institution. It may be possible for the student to take the PE exam with an MSEE and their current undergraduate degree in math, but it also depends on the number of years of experience and the state
jsagurton
I'm currently a senior two semesters away from graduating with an undergraduate degree in mathematics education and am starting to consider going into the wireless industry (I know this isn't the EE forum, but I don't believe the discipline of engineering really matters).

My question is: In Pennsylvania do I need a BSEE or can I get a Master's in EE in order to take the Fundamentals of Engineering exam and eventually the Professional Engineering exam?

If I do need a second BS degree, I'd be unable to complete it at my current institution, and I intend to earn a degree in my current major anyway, so would I have to start from scratch or would general courses and potentially even mathematics courses transfer? I know this is largely dependent on the institution, but does anyone have any insight into the matter or previous experience regarding this situation?

Edit: I would complete my current degree at my current institution, so at the new institution I'd be entering already having a BS degree.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
jsagurton said:
I'm currently a senior two semesters away from graduating with an undergraduate degree in mathematics education and am starting to consider going into the wireless industry (I know this isn't the EE forum, but I don't believe the discipline of engineering really matters).

My question is: In Pennsylvania do I need a BSEE or can I get a Master's in EE in order to take the Fundamentals of Engineering exam and eventually the Professional Engineering exam?

If I do need a second BS degree, I'd be unable to complete it at my current institution, and I intend to earn a degree in my current major anyway, so would I have to start from scratch or would general courses and potentially even mathematics courses transfer? I know this is largely dependent on the institution, but does anyone have any insight into the matter or previous experience regarding this situation?

Edit: I would complete my current degree at my current institution, so at the new institution I'd be entering already having a BS degree.

It depends on the rules in PA. They may allow you to take the PE exam with an MSEE (and your undergrad in math) plus the required number of years of experience (after you take and pass the fundamentals exam).

The requirement is usually longer (in years of experience) for those with science degrees and not engineering degrees (physics for example). But it depends on the State statutes regarding licensing by the State.

CS

Related to Question regarding certification

1. What exactly is certification?

Certification is a process in which an individual or an organization obtains a recognized qualification or designation by meeting certain requirements and standards set by a governing body. It serves as a proof of competency and expertise in a particular field.

2. Why is certification important?

Certification is important for a number of reasons. It can help individuals and organizations stand out in a competitive market, demonstrate their knowledge and skills, and increase their credibility and trustworthiness. It can also lead to career advancement opportunities and higher salaries.

3. Who offers certification?

Certification is typically offered by professional associations, educational institutions, or private organizations that specialize in a particular field. These governing bodies set the standards and requirements for certification and often offer training and exams to assess individuals' knowledge and skills.

4. How do I get certified?

The process of getting certified varies depending on the specific certification you are seeking. However, it generally involves meeting certain eligibility requirements, completing a training or educational program, and passing an exam. Some certifications also require ongoing education or renewal to maintain the credential.

5. Are there different levels of certification?

Yes, there are often different levels or types of certification within a specific field, each with its own set of requirements and standards. For example, in the healthcare field, there may be certifications for different levels of nursing or specialized areas such as pediatrics or geriatrics. It is important to research and understand the different levels of certification and which one aligns with your career goals and qualifications.