Question regarding a double slit experiment

In summary, the question asks how many fringes will cross through the center of the double slit experiment when a transparent paper with a refractive index of 1.45 and thickness of 0.02mm is removed. The provided equation is Yo=β/λ(n-1)t, where n is the refractive index and t is the thickness. The question does not specify the values for β and Yo.
Dongorgon

Homework Statement

The question is as follows, I'm truly stuck where to start here, any help would be much appreciated:

A transparent paper of refractive index 1.45 and thickness 0.02mm is pasted on one of the slits of a double slit experiment. Monochromatic light of wavelength 620nm is passed through the slits. How many fringes will cross through the centre if the paper is removed?

Homework Equations

I have been provided with one equation for this, which is as follows:

Yo=β/λ(n-1)t

Where n is the refractive index and t is the thickness.

The Attempt at a Solution

Truly stuck where to even begin I'm sorry to say.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dongorgon said:

Homework Statement

The question is as follows, I'm truly stuck where to start here, any help would be much appreciated:

A transparent paper of refractive index 1.45 and thickness 0.02mm is pasted on one of the slits of a double slit experiment. Monochromatic light of wavelength 620nm is passed through the slits. How many fringes will cross through the centre if the paper is removed?

Homework Equations

I have been provided with one equation for this, which is as follows:

Yo=β/λ(n-1)t

Where n is the refractive index and t is the thickness.

The Attempt at a Solution

Truly stuck where to even begin I'm sorry to say.
What are β and Yo in this equation? (I take it that λ is wavelength.)

From what I am aware, β is the fringe width and I'm truly not sure what Yo even is, possibly the width of intensity?

Related to Question regarding a double slit experiment

1. What is a double slit experiment?

A double slit experiment is a scientific demonstration that shows the wave-like behavior of particles, such as photons or electrons. It involves a beam of particles passing through two parallel slits and producing an interference pattern on a screen behind the slits.

2. What is the purpose of a double slit experiment?

The purpose of a double slit experiment is to study the wave-particle duality of particles. It allows scientists to observe the interference pattern created by particles passing through the slits and determine whether they behave like waves or particles.

3. How does a double slit experiment work?

In a double slit experiment, a source emits particles (e.g. photons or electrons) that pass through two parallel slits. The particles then create an interference pattern on a screen behind the slits, which is captured and observed by scientists. The pattern is a result of the particles behaving like waves and interfering with each other.

4. What is the difference between a single and double slit experiment?

In a single slit experiment, a beam of particles passes through a single slit and produces a diffraction pattern on a screen. In a double slit experiment, the beam of particles passes through two parallel slits and produces an interference pattern on a screen. The double slit experiment allows scientists to observe the wave-like behavior of particles, while the single slit experiment does not.

5. What are the real-world applications of a double slit experiment?

A double slit experiment has many real-world applications, including in the fields of optics, quantum mechanics, and particle physics. It has helped scientists understand the behavior of light and electrons, and has also led to the development of technologies such as waveguides and diffraction gratings.