Question on wave function of free particle

In summary: However, to represent the particle to a better approximation we need to take into account other terms in the wave packet. The wave packet is not just one wave, but a sum of many waves. In summary, the wave function for a free particle is a superposition of many waves, and while a single plane wave may provide a good approximation in some cases, it does not fully describe the particle.
Shan K
Hi,
I was studying the solution of Schrodinger equation with no potential and found that the wave function is just a single plane wave eikx for movement of the particle in positive x direction.
But when the phase velocity of a single wave is calculated it turns out to be less than the particle's velocity and from that argument is made that the de broglie wave, which is associated with a particle, is not a single wave but superposition of waves.
So my question is that how one single wave (which we have found by solving TISE for no potential) can describe a particle, when from the calculation of phase velocity and group velocity we know that a particle can be described by a group of waves?
Any kind of help will be highly appreciated.Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Shan K said:
I was studying the solution of Schrodinger equation with no potential

Why do you want to analyse Schroedinger's equation in terms of a theory that was consigned to the dustbin when QM was fully developed?

You are caught up in one of the myths of QM - the wave particle duality - its neither wave or particle:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0609163.pdf

One reason is taking the wave idea seriously you end up with the kind of issues you raise.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
bhobba said:
Why do you want to analyse Schroedinger's equation in terms of a theory that was consigned to the dustbin when QM was fully developed?

You are caught up in one of the myths of QM - the wave particle duality - its neither wave or particle:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0609163.pdf

One reason is taking the wave idea seriously you end up with the kind of issues you raise.

Thanks
Bill
But in the book by Resnick and Eisberg they have come to the wave function by considering the de broglie wave.In one hand they have said that a de Broglie wave cannot be a single wave because the phase and the particle velocity does not match and on the other hand they have said that the de Broglie wave is given by this wave function. That is what raising the difficulty for me to conceptualize .

Shan K said:
But in the book by Resnick and Eisberg they have come to the wave function by considering the de broglie wave.In one hand they have said that a de Broglie wave cannot be a single wave because the phase and the particle velocity does not match and on the other hand they have said that the de Broglie wave is given by this wave function. That is what raising the difficulty for me to conceptualize .

Then don't. The De-Broglie hypotheses is wrong as can be seen by what happens when you jump to a frame where the particle is at rest - what's its wavelength then?

The correct derivation of Schroedinger's equation is based on the invariance of probabilities between inertial frames - see chapter 3 Ballentine.

Its often done in beginning texts - they try to justify Schroedinger's equation by hand-wavey arguments something along the lines of this:

Its done so they don't have to say its pulled out of thin air - which is basically what Schroedinger did:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1204.0653.pdf

The trouble is the correct derivation is complex - you probably know the math to follow it - but its a bit involved with each step slow going.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Shan K said:
So my question is that how one single wave (which we have found by solving TISE for no potential) can describe a particle, when from the calculation of phase velocity and group velocity we know that a particle can be described by a group of waves?

The correct description of a free particle in Schrödinger wave mechanics is a wave packet constructed by superposing waves ##Ae^{i(kx-\omega t)}## with various values of ##k = p/\hbar## and various amplitudes: $$\Psi(x,t) = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} {A(k) e^{i(kx-\omega t)} dk}$$ If the packet contains a very narrow range of momenta, i.e. the function A(k) is zero or almost zero almost everywhere, and very sharply peaked at some central value ##k_0##, then the packet has a large spread in position. In the central region of the packet, the single plane wave ##Ce^{i(k_0 x-\omega t)}## is a good approximation to the actual wave function. For some purposes we can represent the particle to a good approximation by using this plane wave.

Likes bhobba

Related to Question on wave function of free particle

1. What is the wave function of a free particle?

The wave function of a free particle is a mathematical representation of a quantum particle's state. It describes the probability of finding the particle at a specific position and time.

2. What does the wave function tell us about a free particle?

The wave function provides information about the particle's energy, momentum, and position. It also determines the probability of measuring these properties at a given time.

3. How is the wave function of a free particle different from a bound particle?

A free particle has a wave function that is spread out over all space, while a bound particle has a wave function that is confined to a specific region. Additionally, the wave function of a free particle does not decay over time, whereas a bound particle's wave function will decrease in amplitude over time.

4. Can the wave function of a free particle be observed?

No, the wave function of a free particle cannot be directly observed. It is a mathematical tool used to calculate the probability of a particle's properties.

5. How does the wave function of a free particle change over time?

The wave function of a free particle evolves over time according to the Schrödinger equation. This equation describes how the wave function changes as the particle moves through space and interacts with its surroundings.