Question on Universal Expansion

In summary, the article discusses the recent type Ia supernova and how astronomers use them to measure the expansion of the universe. They discuss how until 1998 it was thought that the percentage rate of distance growth was declining rapidly, but then they discovered that the decline is levelling off and is now slowing down to a constant rate. They say that this is indicative of acceleration, and explains it in a way that is easy to understand.
ViperSRT3g
I was reading an article about the recent type Ia supernova in the big dipper when the question popped into my head that I've forgotten about until now.

Since we use the Ia supernova as our candles to measure the expansion of the universe, how do we know that everything is accelerating?

It's easy to look at objects that are further away and see them moving away from us faster because that's how universal expansion works. What I'm wondering about is from seeing the universe expanding ever faster as we look at further objects, how do we know that it is ACCELERATING rather than expanding at a constant rate?

What I'm thinking in my head is the universe might be expanding at a constant rate, but objects further away may just appear to be receding faster just because of the expansion process (With all the red shifting and such). Not sure how we're extrapolating an acceleration because we're already seeing something similar.

I'm hoping I'm just misconstruing things here and that I don't have any misconceptions of how the universe works.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
If there were no acceleration there would be no differences in red shift but differences are observed that make it obvious that there has to be acceleration.

This topic has been discussed here many dozens of times, if not hundreds. Try a forum search.

ViperSRT3g said:
...What I'm thinking in my head is the universe might be expanding at a constant rate, but objects further away may just appear to be receding faster just because of the expansion process (With all the red shifting and such). Not sure how we're extrapolating an acceleration because we're already seeing something similar.

The choice of words has been unfortunate. There isn't anyone speed that the U is expanding. So "acceleration" in this case doesn't mean that "the speed the U is expanding is increasing". Since there isn't one definite speed for the whole, that would be a confusingly vague way to put it.

You realize that the speed any given distance increases is proportional to its size. So at any given era there is a PERCENTAGE RATE that distances are increasing. That's the best thing to focus on.

You understand exponential growth, like money in a savings account. IF THE PERCENTAGE RATE WERE CONSTANT then the growth of cosmic distances between clusters of galaxies etc would be EXPONENTIAL. So obviously anyone given distance's growth speed would be accelerating.

But until 1998 astronomers thought that the percentage rate of distance growth was DECLINING rapidly enough that you would NOT be getting that kind of exponential increase in the size of anyone given distance. The universe's own gravity was gradually bogging down the percentage growth rate enough to prevent acceleration.

Then in 1998 they discovered that you get a better fit to the data with a model where YES THE PERCENTAGE RATE IS STILL DECLINING BUT THE DECLINE is not as rapid as we thought and IS LEVELING OFF TO A CONSTANT percentage RATE AND WE ARE ALREADY SEEING something approximating exponential growth.

To put numbers on it, today's growth rate is 1/144 % per million years. We used to think that was on track to gradually tail off to ZERO % per million years. But in 1998 they realized you get a significantly better fit if you say the decline is on track to level off at 1/173% per million years.
A small, but nevertheless positive percentage rate.

And we are already getting so near the eventual target now that expansion is beginning to act as if the percentage rate is nearly constant,which means NEARLY (but still very gradual) exponential growth, which means the curves bend very slightly up, the slope gently increases---the kind of thing we mentally associate with "acceleration". So in 1998 they trumpeted the news in great excitement.

But you could think of it more calmly (and boringly:biggrin:) as simply observing that the percentage growth rate is still declining but is tending to level out so the decline is more gradual than we thought before.

I don't know if that is a good way or a bad way to explain it. Let me know if this doesn't work for you, and ask more questions.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thank you so much Marcus, that definitely clears it up just about perfectly for me.

Thank you for your question. I can assure you that your thinking is not misconstrued and you are asking a valid question about the expansion of the universe. The concept of universal expansion is a complex and ongoing topic of study in the field of cosmology.

To answer your question, the idea of acceleration in the expansion of the universe comes from observations and measurements of distant objects. As you mentioned, the type Ia supernova is one of the key indicators used to measure the expansion rate of the universe. These supernovae are known to have a consistent intrinsic brightness, making them ideal "standard candles" for distance measurements.

Through careful observations and measurements of the brightness and redshift of these supernovae, scientists have found that the further away the supernova is, the faster it appears to be moving away from us. This is known as the Hubble's Law of Universal Expansion, which states that the farther an object is from us, the faster it appears to be moving away from us.

From this, we can infer that the expansion of the universe is indeed accelerating, rather than expanding at a constant rate. This is because if the universe was expanding at a constant rate, the objects further away would not appear to be moving away from us at an increasingly faster pace.

In addition to the observations of supernovae, there are other pieces of evidence that support the idea of accelerating expansion, such as the cosmic microwave background radiation and the distribution of galaxies in the universe.

It is important to note that the concept of universal expansion is still an area of active research and there are ongoing studies and debates about the exact nature of this acceleration. However, based on current observations and data, the evidence strongly suggests that the expansion of the universe is indeed accelerating.

I hope this helps to clarify your understanding of universal expansion and the concept of acceleration. Science is all about asking questions and seeking answers, so keep exploring and questioning the world around us.

What is the concept of universal expansion?

Universal expansion is the theory that our universe is continuously expanding and has been doing so since the Big Bang. It suggests that all galaxies are moving away from each other, causing the universe to become larger over time.

How was universal expansion discovered?

The concept of universal expansion was first proposed by Edwin Hubble in the 1920s. He observed that the light from distant galaxies appeared to be shifted towards the red end of the spectrum, indicating that they were moving away from us. This led to the development of the Hubble's Law, which confirmed the idea of universal expansion.

What evidence supports the theory of universal expansion?

Aside from Hubble's Law, there are several other pieces of evidence that support the theory of universal expansion. These include the cosmic microwave background radiation, the distribution of galaxies and clusters in the universe, and the abundance of light elements in the universe.

Will the expansion of the universe ever stop?

At this point, it is unknown if the expansion of the universe will ever stop. It largely depends on the amount of matter and energy in the universe, and the rate at which the universe is expanding. Some theories suggest that the expansion may slow down and eventually stop, while others propose that the universe will continue to expand indefinitely.

How does universal expansion affect the future of the universe?

The expansion of the universe has significant implications for the future of our universe. As it continues to expand, galaxies will become further apart, and new stars will stop forming. Eventually, the universe will become a cold, dark place with no new sources of energy. This is known as the "heat death" of the universe.