Question on Two Decays of Rho Meson

• Thread starter dingo_d
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Meson
In summary, the conversation discusses the allowed and forbidden decays of rho meson into two different pi meson combinations. The conversation also explores the role of isospin and the Clebsch-Gordan coefficient in determining the allowed decays. It is concluded that while the decay \rho^0\to \pi^0\pi^0 is forbidden due to symmetry considerations, the decay \rho^0\to \pi^+\pi^- is allowed. Additionally, it is mentioned that the decay \rho^0\to \pi^0\pi^0\gamma is also an allowed decay channel.
dingo_d

Homework Statement

I saw here, but since the thread is closed I need to ask my question in a new thread.

I have two decays: [itex]\rho^0\to \pi^+\pi^-[/itex] and [itex]\rho^0\to \pi^0\pi^0[/itex]. The text says that both are allowed with respect to laws of conservation of energy and impulse. Why is the second one forbidden?

Both rho meson and pi meson, are a triplet in isospin space, so I don't see a problem there. But how are both allowed with respect to conservation of impulse, if the impulse of rho is 1, and of pions is 0 (impulse as in J=L+S)?

Is it just because the Clebsch-Gordan coefficient in the second decay is 0 and in the first it's [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]?

So the coupling of two pi0 is forrbidden in the isospin coupling? Is that the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
dingo_d said:

Homework Statement

I saw here, but since the thread is closed I need to ask my question in a new thread.

I have two decays: [itex]\rho^0\to \pi^+\pi^-[/itex] and [itex]\rho^0\to \pi^0\pi^0[/itex]. The text says that both are allowed with respect to laws of conservation of energy and impulse. Why is the second one forbidden?

Both rho meson and pi meson, are a triplet in isospin space, so I don't see a problem there. But how are both allowed with respect to conservation of impulse, if the impulse of rho is 1, and of pions is 0 (impulse as in J=L+S)?

Is it just because the Clebsch-Gordan coefficient in the second decay is 0 and in the first it's [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]?

The final state is a two-particle state, so it is possible to have nonzero orbital angular momentum (##L\neq 0##). However, once you identify the possible orbital state, you must also consider the symmetry of the wavefunction under exchange of the ##\pi##s.

So the coupling of two pi0 is forrbidden in the isospin coupling? Is that the answer?

This is not an issue, since that coupling exists. In fact, ##\rho^0\to \pi^0\pi^0\gamma## is an allowed decay channel.

Thank you :)

Related to Question on Two Decays of Rho Meson

1. What is a Rho Meson?

A Rho Meson is a subatomic particle that belongs to the meson family. It is composed of a quark and an anti-quark and is known for its short lifespan of approximately 4x10^-24 seconds.

2. How does a Rho Meson decay?

A Rho Meson can undergo two different types of decays: the strong decay and the electromagnetic decay. In the strong decay, the meson decays into two pions, while in the electromagnetic decay, it decays into a photon and a pion.

3. What is the significance of studying the decays of Rho Mesons?

Studying the decays of Rho Mesons can provide valuable insights into the underlying strong and electromagnetic interactions between subatomic particles. It can also help us better understand the fundamental forces that govern the universe.

4. How are the decays of Rho Mesons detected and measured?

The decays of Rho Mesons can be detected and measured using particle detectors, such as bubble chambers and particle accelerators. These instruments allow scientists to observe and analyze the particles produced during the decay process.

5. Can the decays of Rho Mesons be influenced or controlled?

No, the decays of Rho Mesons are governed by the laws of quantum mechanics and cannot be influenced or controlled by external factors. However, scientists can study and manipulate the particles involved in the decay process to understand it better.