Question on the Standard Model

In summary, the conversation discusses the success of the Standard Model in combining Quantum Mechanics and Special Relativity, as mentioned in Scientific American. However, there is also mention of The Elegant Universe stating that the Standard Model fails to do so. Upon further discussion, it is clarified that the Standard Model does not combine Quantum Mechanics with General Relativity, but rather Special Relativity.
bubblewrap
I read in a magazine (namely Scientific American) that the Standard Model successfully combines Quantum Mechanics with General Relativity, but I also remember reading in The Elegant Universe that the Standard Model fails to do so. What's true and what's not?

Physics news on Phys.org
bubblewrap said:
I read in a magazine (namely Scientific American) that the Standard Model successfully combines Quantum Mechanics with General Relativity
No it does not. I guess they wrote special relativity - this is indeed a combination the standard model does.
It would help to see the specific article.

mfb said:
No it does not. I guess they wrote special relativity - this is indeed a combination the standard model does.
It would help to see the specific article.
You are right it is Special Relativity, thank you :)

Related to Question on the Standard Model

1. What is the Standard Model?

The Standard Model is a theory in physics that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions that make up the universe. It is currently the most accurate and comprehensive model we have for understanding the subatomic world.

2. What are the main components of the Standard Model?

The Standard Model is composed of three main categories: elementary particles (quarks, leptons, and gauge bosons), forces (strong, weak, and electromagnetic), and the Higgs field.

3. How does the Standard Model explain the behavior of particles?

The Standard Model explains the behavior of particles through mathematical equations and theories. It describes how particles interact with each other through the fundamental forces and how they gain mass through the Higgs field.

4. What evidence supports the Standard Model?

There is a significant amount of experimental evidence that supports the predictions of the Standard Model. This includes the discovery of the Higgs boson at the Large Hadron Collider and the precise measurements of particle interactions at various energy levels.

5. Are there any limitations to the Standard Model?

While the Standard Model has been incredibly successful in explaining and predicting the behavior of particles, it is not a complete theory of everything. It does not include gravity and does not account for dark matter and dark energy, which are believed to make up a significant portion of the universe.