Question on Simple Harmonic Motion.

In summary, the particle is projected upwards and is travelling at a speed of 2.2272 m/s when it comes to rest.
Wesc

Homework Statement

A 100g particle hangs freely at rest on the end of a spring of stiffness 10N/m. If
the particle is projected upwards with a speed of 2m/s, find the time taken until
it first comes to rest and the distance travelled.

Homework Equations

Well, there's F = -k.x and of course the classic F = ma .. and the normal linear motion equations? And the conservation of energy too I think...

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, well first off this is probably wrong because I suck at Simple Harmonic Motion, but this is what I did:

I started off by finding the distance between L0 and the equilibrium position, by using m.a = k.x ... and got x = (0.1)(9.8)/(10) =0.098.

Hence, I did the following:
(0.5)(k)(x^2) + (0.5)(m)(u^2) = (0.5)(m)(V^2) ... and got V to equal 2.2272 m/s.

Then, I assumed that normal motion would resume and used "v=u+at" and "(v^2-u^2)/2a = s" to calculate the rest. I obtained t = 0.227 s and s = 0.2531 m
There are no answers available for this question unfortunately, and I've an exam on this topic tomorrow, so I was hoping that someone on this that understands SHM could help me if I'm doing this wrong? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wesc said:

Homework Statement

A 100g particle hangs freely at rest on the end of a spring of stiffness 10N/m. If
the particle is projected upwards with a speed of 2m/s, find the time taken until
it first comes to rest and the distance travelled.

Homework Equations

Well, there's F = -k.x and of course the classic F = ma .. and the normal linear motion equations? And the conservation of energy too I think...

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, well first off this is probably wrong because I suck at Simple Harmonic Motion, but this is what I did:

I started off by finding the distance between L0 and the equilibrium position, by using m.a = k.x ... and got x = (0.1)(9.8)/(10) =0.098.

(0.5)(k)(x^2) + (0.5)(m)(u^2) = (0.5)(m)(V^2) ... and got V to equal 2.2272 m/s.
You didn't need to do any of this. The first sentence says the mass "hangs freely at rest." This means that the spring has already been stretched to the new equilibrium position, and the mass is just sitting there.

Then, I assumed that normal motion would resume and used "v=u+at" and "(v^2-u^2)/2a = s" to calculate the rest. I obtained t = 0.227 s and s = 0.2531 m
These equations only apply to cases of constant acceleration. They don't apply to simple harmonic motion because the force exerted by the spring is constantly changing.

Take a look at the top diagram on http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/shm.html. Based on the givens in this problem, where in the cycle is the particle initially? Is it at the top, the bottom, the middle, or somewhere else? Explain your reasoning for your answer.

Wesc said:
But what do you think this speed you have calculated represents?

Related to Question on Simple Harmonic Motion.

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position and acts in the opposite direction of the displacement. This results in an oscillatory motion, typically represented by a sine or cosine curve.

What are the defining characteristics of simple harmonic motion?

The defining characteristics of simple harmonic motion include a constant amplitude, a constant period, and a sinusoidal motion. The motion is also reversible, meaning it can go back and forth between the equilibrium position.

What are some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion?

Some common examples of simple harmonic motion include a pendulum, a mass-spring system, a swinging door, and a tuning fork. These objects exhibit a back-and-forth motion that follows a sinusoidal pattern.

How is simple harmonic motion different from other types of motion?

Simple harmonic motion is different from other types of motion because it is a type of periodic motion that is caused by a restoring force. Other types of motion, such as uniform motion or circular motion, do not involve a restoring force and do not exhibit the same characteristics as simple harmonic motion.

What is the equation for simple harmonic motion?

The equation for simple harmonic motion is x(t) = A cos(ωt + φ), where x(t) is the displacement from the equilibrium position, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle. This equation can also be represented in terms of sine instead of cosine.