Question on significant digits

In summary, the conversation discusses the number of significant digits that should be included in the mean, variance, and standard deviation of a set of data. It is suggested to have 3 significant digits for the mean, the same number of significant digits for the variance as the square of the mean, and to use error analysis to determine the number of significant digits for the standard deviation. Additionally, when reporting the mass of the sample, the mean should be used with the same number of significant digits as the mean, and the standard deviation should also be included with an appropriate number of significant digits.
solarwind
Hi all.

Let's say I have a set of data as follows (the mass of a sample of some chemical measured several times):

23.132 g
24.532 g
21.532 g
22.853 g
23.193 g

(I just made that data up, but imagine that a analytical scale put out those numbers, exactly as shown, on its display.)

1. When I calculate the mean, how many significant digits should the mean have?

2. When I calculate the variance, how many significant digits should the variance have?

3. When I calculate the standard deviation (by square rooting the variance), how many digits should it have?

4. When someone asks what is the mass of the sample, I know that I should tell them that the mass is: x g +/- y g. What should "x" be? Should it be the mean? If so, how many significant digits? Also, what should "y" be? I know it should be the standard deviation, but how many significant digits should it be?

5. How does the standard deviation dictate the number of significant digits of "x"?

Physics news on Phys.org
The mean has 3 significant digits. The error in Mean^2 is 2* mean * the error in the mean. The variance has the same no. of significant digits as Mean^2.
Perhaps you'd like to look up Error Analysis.

Related to Question on significant digits

1. What are significant digits?

Significant digits, also known as significant figures, are the digits in a number that carry meaning and contribute to the precision of the number.

2. How do you determine the number of significant digits in a given number?

The rules for determining significant digits are:

• All non-zero digits are significant.
  • Any zeros between two significant digits are significant.
  • Leading zeros are not significant.
  • Trailing zeros after a decimal point are significant.
  • Trailing zeros before a decimal point and after non-zero digits are significant if they are specifically indicated by a bar over the zeros.

3. Why are significant digits important in scientific calculations?

Significant digits are important because they indicate the precision and accuracy of a measurement or calculation. Using the correct number of significant digits ensures that the results of calculations are not misrepresented or falsely precise.

4. How do you round off numbers to the correct number of significant digits?

To round off a number to the correct number of significant digits, follow these steps:

• Identify the last significant digit based on the rules mentioned in question 2.
  • If the digit to the right of the last significant digit is 5 or higher, round up the last significant digit by increasing it by 1.
  • If the digit to the right of the last significant digit is less than 5, keep the last significant digit as it is.
  • Replace all digits to the right of the last significant digit with zeros.

5. How do you perform calculations involving significant digits?

When performing calculations, follow these rules to ensure the correct number of significant digits in the result:

• In addition and subtraction, the result should have the same number of decimal places as the number with the fewest decimal places.
  • In multiplication and division, the result should have the same number of significant digits as the number with the fewest significant digits.
  • In exponentiation, the number of significant digits in the result is equal to the number of significant digits in the base.