Question on rotational transform matrix, I

In summary, the writer is reading a book on robotics and has turned to online forums for help understanding a proof involving triangles and equations. With the help of a diagram and added points and lines, the equations x = x' cos(beta) + z' sin(beta) and z = z' cos(beta) - (x' sin(beta)) are derived.
cncnewbee
Hi,
I'm reading a book called Robotics, written by Tadej Bajd on my own to learn about robotics and have no one else to put my questions other than to the forums.

Here the writer on 11th page writes:

"By considering the similarity of triangles in Figure 2.3, it is not difficult to derive
the following two equations
x..."

where I can't get which triangles to look for similarities as there could be various (I'm no expert in math) and also, can't get how the formula is derived. Please explain

screen shot of book:
i46.tinypic.com/30i9nih.png

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
look at the attachment, I have added new points and lines to your picture to make the proof clear.

We have:x= AB+BC
but BC = x' cos (beta)
and AB = TM sin beta + Mx' sin beta
= (TM+Mx') sin beta
= Tx' sin(beta)
= z' sin (beta) (because Tx' parallel to z')

hence x= x' cos beta + z' sin beta

Similarly,

z = CK -zK
but CK= z' cos(beta)
and zK= z'D= Tz'sin(beta)= x' sin(beta)

hence

z= z'cos beta - (x'sin beta)

Attachments

• 30i9nih-new.png
    30i9nih-new.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 412
Quantumjump said:
look at the attachment, I have added new points and lines to your picture to make the proof clear.

Thanks you very much! Now I understand it clearly!

Related to Question on rotational transform matrix, I

1. What is a rotational transform matrix?

A rotational transform matrix is a mathematical representation of how a coordinate system is transformed when rotated about a fixed point. It is a 3x3 matrix that contains the sine and cosine values of the rotation angle.

2. How is a rotational transform matrix calculated?

A rotational transform matrix is calculated by multiplying the individual transformation matrices for each rotation around the x, y, and z axes.

3. What is the purpose of using a rotational transform matrix?

The purpose of using a rotational transform matrix is to easily and accurately describe the rotation of an object in 3D space. It allows for complex rotations to be represented and calculated with simple matrix operations.

4. Can a rotational transform matrix be used for non-uniform rotations?

No, a rotational transform matrix can only be used for uniform rotations around a fixed point. For non-uniform rotations, a different type of transformation matrix, such as a skew matrix, would be needed.

5. How is a rotational transform matrix applied to a vector?

To apply a rotational transform matrix to a vector, the vector's coordinates are multiplied by the rotational transform matrix, resulting in a new set of coordinates that describe the vector's position after the rotation.