Question on phasors at boundary of oblique incidence.

Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of a plane wave hitting a boundary formed by the xy plane. The incident wave is in the plane of incidence, which is formed by the xz plane where y=0. The electric field components of the incident wave must have x, y, and z components, but at the boundary, the z component must be zero. To resolve this, the z component is considered as a function of z, with a value of zero at z=0 but a non-zero value for other values of z.
yungman
A plane wave travels in ##\hat k_I=\hat x \sin\theta_I+\hat z \cos \theta_I## direction hitting a boundary formed by xy plane ( z=0). The incidence wave is in the plane of incident formed by xz plane where y=0.

We let ##\tilde E_I(\vec k_I)= \hat x E_{I_x}+\hat y E_{I_y}+\hat z E_{I_z} =E_{0I}e^{-j\vec k_I\cdot \vec r}##. This means ##\tilde E_{0I}## has to have x, y and z components ##\Rightarrow\;\tilde E_{0I}=\hat x E_{0I_x}+\hat y E_{0I_y}+\hat z E_{0I_z}##

But at ##z=0##, ##E_{0I_z}## has to be zero!
If we let ##E_{0I_z}=0##, then it won't work for the vector where z is not 0! how do I resolve this? Only way I can think of is ##E_{0I_z}## is a function of z and it's zero at z=0. Am I right?

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for the help!Hello,

Thank you for your question. It seems like you are trying to understand the behavior of a plane wave hitting a boundary formed by the xy plane. In this situation, the incident wave is in the plane of incidence, which is formed by the xz plane where y=0.

You are correct in thinking that the electric field components of the incident wave, denoted by ##\tilde E_I(\vec k_I)##, must have x, y, and z components. This is because the incident wave is a vector quantity and it has to have components in all three directions.

Now, when the incident wave hits the boundary formed by the xy plane at z=0, the z component of the electric field, ##E_{0I_z}##, has to be zero. This is because the boundary does not allow any electric field in the z direction. However, this does not mean that ##E_{0I_z}## has to be zero for all values of z. It can still have a non-zero value for z ≠ 0.

To resolve this, you can think of ##E_{0I_z}## as a function of z, as you have suggested. This means that the z component of the incident wave's electric field is dependent on the value of z. At z=0, it is zero, but for other values of z, it can have a non-zero value.

I hope this helps to clarify your understanding. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Question on phasors at boundary of oblique incidence.

1. What are phasors?

Phasors are mathematical tools used to represent the amplitude and phase of a sinusoidal wave. They are often used in the analysis of electrical circuits, mechanical systems, and electromagnetic fields.

2. What is oblique incidence?

Oblique incidence refers to the angle at which a wave or ray of light strikes a surface. It is measured from the normal, or perpendicular, to the surface. When the angle of incidence is not 0 degrees, it is considered oblique.

3. How are phasors used to analyze oblique incidence?

Phasors can be used to represent the electric and magnetic fields of a wave at the boundary of oblique incidence. By using phasors, we can easily calculate the reflected and transmitted waves at the boundary.

4. What happens to phasors at the boundary of oblique incidence?

At the boundary of oblique incidence, the phasors of the incident, reflected, and transmitted waves are related by the laws of reflection and refraction. This means that the amplitude and phase of the waves will change as they pass through the boundary.

5. What are some real-world applications of phasors at the boundary of oblique incidence?

Phasors at the boundary of oblique incidence have many practical applications, including the analysis of electromagnetic waves in optical fibers, the design of antennas, and the study of seismic waves in geophysics.