Life Beyond DNA: Is Entropy Possible?

• Thread starter einsteinian77
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of life structures existing on an atomic scale or below, and the implications this could have on the concept of life and death. It is argued that life is a complex process that requires a large number of interacting parts, and it is unlikely that there are enough different parts below an atomic scale to produce this level of complexity. The use of the term "entropy" is also questioned, as it is usually associated with temperature and disorder rather than the structure of DNA.
einsteinian77
Could the beginning of entropy of a human, or any organism, exist below the DNA level of order? In other words, is it possible that not only DNA is structured to control what we do but also the atoms that make up the DNA or the particles that make up the atom? If so, what does this imply about life or death??

Physics news on Phys.org
DNA is such structure as described. DNA is made up of molecules, which are made up of atoms which define what molecules they are. Of course the atoms, and thus parts of atoms, define DNA which defines the outcome of DNA as a phenotype.

However, I don't understand what this "life or death" idea is, and how it has anything to do with your previous assertion, which is correct.

Please explain further.

Originally posted by einsteinian77
Could the beginning of entropy of a human, or any organism, exist below the DNA level of order? In other words, is it possible that not only DNA is structured to control what we do but also the atoms that make up the DNA or the particles that make up the atom? If so, what does this imply about life or death??

I'm sorry for the vagueness of that post I'll try and further the description of what I'm trying to say. What I'm asking is could there be life structures on an atomic scale or even below an atomic scale?

Life is a process. This process is a complex one. Hence, there need to be sufficient numbers parts to have this amount of complexity that life requires. Hence life requires a lot of interacting parts, a lot of complexity.

I do not think that there are that many different parts below an atomic scale to produce this complexity.

You might find this interesting einsteinian77.

The true nature of reality.
http://www.think-aboutit.com/Spiritual/what_is_the_true_nature_of_reali.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Heads up, thanks for that article it was extremely interesting and right on my train of thought.

first of all: we stop living when we die. (for example a flow to the back of the head with a large stone kills us)
moving on: the atoms that make up the DNA are (obviously) what "constructed to control what we do" becuase it is quite simply WHAT MAKES UP THE DNA! (if you follow me)

and also: you're use of the term entropy is nonsensical. entropy has to do with the temperature and disorder of a system. and it exists both above and below the "level of DNA" if by that you mean the chemicals and molecules that make up DNA.

Heads up, thanks for that article it was extremely interesting and right on my train of thought.

sorry i didn't realize you thanked everyone and left! :smile:

I shouldn't even have posted this knowing now that Maximus has the definite answers to everything. Did you actually think about what I am asking at all or did you just simply accept what you learned in the past and repeated it to me in an arogant manner.

i'm sorry, but that's every close to what i did. i compared it to previously acquired knowledge, found it to be inconsistant and replied so. what your saying isn't 'wrong', it's just redundant.

I shouldn't even have posted this knowing now that Maximus has the definite answers to everything.

and i most certainly do not claim that i have this! (i'll bet in a couple of minuets somebody will come in here and prove everything i said wrong!)
:wink:

no need to apologize maximus your just being scientific and i thank you for that. By the way, i like your quote from Fight club it's one of my favorite movies

no need to apologize maximus your just being scientific and i thank you for that. By the way, i like your quote from Fight club it's one of my favorite movies

mine too.:wink:

Originally posted by Dissident Dan
Life is a process. This process is a complex one. Hence, there need to be sufficient numbers parts to have this amount of complexity that life requires. Hence life requires a lot of interacting parts, a lot of complexity.

I do not think that there are that many different parts below an atomic scale to produce this complexity.

1. What is entropy and how does it relate to DNA?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In the context of DNA, it refers to the gradual degradation of genetic information over time due to natural processes such as mutations and genetic recombination.

2. Is it possible for life to exist without DNA?

Yes, it is possible for life to exist without DNA. While DNA is the primary genetic material in most living organisms on Earth, there are some viruses and bacteria that use alternative genetic material, such as RNA, to store and transmit genetic information.

3. Can entropy be reversed or slowed down in living organisms?

In living organisms, the process of reproduction and natural selection can act as mechanisms to slow down the effects of entropy. However, entropy cannot be reversed as it is a fundamental law of thermodynamics.

4. How might the concept of entropy affect the search for life beyond Earth?

The concept of entropy is important to consider in the search for life beyond Earth because it provides insight into the conditions necessary for life to exist. For example, high levels of entropy in a potential environment may make it difficult for life to form or survive.

5. Are there any potential implications of "Life Beyond DNA" for our understanding of evolution?

Yes, the existence of life forms with alternative genetic material could challenge our current understanding of evolution and the role of DNA in driving the development of living organisms. It may also open up new possibilities for the origins and diversity of life on other planets.