Question on Newton second's law

• Thread starter UNknown 2010
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Newton
In summary, the conversation is about a user seeking help with a physics problem involving calculating the force on a boy and a board. The users discuss the necessary equations and forces involved, with one user ultimately finding the correct solution thanks to the assistance of another user.
UNknown 2010
Hello,

This is my first post on the forum, I hope that I will get an answer for my question as soon as possible. :rolleyes:

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/5765/55503111px2eq6.png

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what have you done so far? :smile:

Hello,

Did you understand my question ?
because it is translated and my english is not good enough .

My try:
Total Mass = 48 kg ==> 480 Newtons

(1)
F=ma
480-250=48a
a = 4.79 m/s^2

(2)
F = 32(10-4.79) = 166 Newtons

I know it is wrong but after I read the sticky topic I saw that I should put my tryhelp me please

There is another force acting on the boy+seat which you are not accounting for. Look at the picture carefully to see what that might be.

Also, be careful about direction (upward or downward) and +/- signs. I suggest using + for the upward direction, and - for downward direction.

I couldn't find the third foce :cry:

In addition to the downward force of weight (gravity):

One end of the rope is attached to the scale, pulling upward.

The other end of the rope is attached to the boy+board.

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/7338/23325527qn0.png
If it is not correct please give me the solution steps

Last edited by a moderator:
In your FBD for the board: You have the force "b" acting upward, but the boy exerts a downward force on the board.

In your FBD for the boy: Again, the direction of force "b" is backward. The board pushes up on the boy. Also, you neglected the force on the boy due to the rope he's holding.

Thank PF members especially Doc Al

I solved it and I checked the answer from the final answer that is provided under the question and it is correct

Related to Question on Newton second's law

1. What is Newton's second law?

Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. What is the equation for Newton's second law?

The equation for Newton's second law is F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

3. How does Newton's second law relate to everyday life?

In everyday life, Newton's second law can be seen in actions such as pushing a shopping cart, riding a bike, and throwing a ball. The amount of force applied determines the acceleration of the object.

4. What is the difference between mass and weight in relation to Newton's second law?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Newton's second law relates the mass of an object to its acceleration, not its weight.

5. How does Newton's second law apply to objects with varying mass and force?

Newton's second law still applies to objects with varying mass and force. The greater the mass of an object, the more force is needed to accelerate it at the same rate. Similarly, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be.