Question on magnetic levitation project.

In summary, a new member of the forum is seeking advice on an art project involving magnets. They want to build a larger version of a video they found and are considering using ferrofluid. They have questions about the magnetic fields and the stability of the project. They also share their design plans and ask for input on the setup.
jplecas
Hello everyone!

My apologies if i am not posting in the correct subforum.

I have a couple questions on an art project i am getting ready to start on, and was not able to find what I was looking for. I am new to this board and should let you all know right now that I failed high school physics miserably.. Please be patient with me :redface:

Rather than drawing out a bunch of pictures for you all, Ill post a link to a video to show what I am trying to build.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5NrqN6gDFA&feature=related

I am looking to build something similar to this, but much larger. I would like the cylinder to be 3 or 4 feet long, maybe 6 to 12 inches in diameter. I imagine that I would end up needing two magnets similar to this?

http://www.magnet4less.com/product_info.php?products_id=450

The more I look into it, the more I am beginning to think that I am getting in over my head. It seems that there will be so many variables with this. And I would like the final product to be somewhat stable.

I am curious as to what the magnetic fields would look like for this project? I have been tossing around the idea of somehow integrating ferrofluid into the design, and think it would create an impressive visual display.

I got the idea of applying the ferrofluid to both cylinder ring magnets, as well as the four base magnets underneath. At first I figured the ferrofluid would jump from the bottom magnets to the cylinder, creating an illusion of the liquid holding the cylinder up in the air. But this would not happen since the magnetic fields between the two are resisting each other, and the ferrofluid follows the lines of the magnetic fields, correct?

I guess I don't have a specific question about this project, other than how would the magnetic fields look, and how might the ferrofluid react to this particular setup. Besides that I would love any input you guys might be able to give me. It would help me tremendously, and I would really love to build this thing!

Thank you all!

Joseph

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you aren't looking to support anything with your setup?

The basic concept is very much as per the video, but you would need to keep the weight down otherwise you may have to switch to electromagnets.

I'm aware how the ferrofluid would react to an individual magnet, but I'm not so sure about with two in this configuration.

The actual design is no more complicated than in the video.

thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, I won't have much trouble building the setup, but my concern is ordering too strong or too weak of magnets. Or overlooking something else, resulting in an unstable cylinder.

The cylinder will be supported on one side, either by a sheet of plexiglass or a large mirror. I am thinking about linking the two disks together with pvc pipe, running through the centers. The pipe will extend off to one end and eventually taper. This is the side that will be touching the glass/mirror. the same way the pencil tip does in the video.

If I understand this setup correctly.. all of the magnets polarity is split vertically, in the same direction. So i would imagine that the field would look almost like an 8 from the side. If I use enough ferrofluid, could it potentially form the shape of an 8 between the cylinder and base? I wouldn't be surprised if i am mistaken about how the field would look.. I can't seem to find any pictures showing an example of two magnets with both - and + poles facing each other at the same time. As this setup would be.

The attached image would be a top view, looking down at the setup.

Attachments

• project.JPG
    project.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 405
I would recommend inverting one of the pairs of magnet rings, otherwise it could just 'slide' forward and so the rear - (of the ring) will contact the forward + (of the support magnet).

So your magnet rings will be -------( - , + )-------------( + , - )-------|

And the mag supports will be -------| - , + |-------------| + , - |-------|

This is of course assuming it is split down the middle as per your drawing. The split could be outside of ring North, inside of ring South (like this drawing: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=341215).

Aside from that there's no more to do. Strength wise, you need to check the weight of the rig compared to the repulsive force available.

No, it wouldn't make any 'figure of eight'.

Hello Joseph,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your questions about your magnetic levitation project. It sounds like a very interesting and ambitious project!

Firstly, I want to assure you that it is perfectly fine to post your questions and ideas in this forum. We are always happy to help and provide guidance to those who are interested in science and technology.

In terms of your project, it is important to have a good understanding of the principles behind magnetic levitation before attempting to build a large-scale version. As you mentioned, there are many variables involved and it is crucial to have a stable and safe design.

To answer your question about the magnetic fields, the setup you described with the ferrofluid and magnets is certainly possible. However, the magnetic fields will depend on the strength and orientation of the magnets, as well as the distance between them. It would be helpful to do some calculations or simulations to get a better idea of how the magnetic fields would look in your specific setup.

Regarding the use of ferrofluid, it is important to note that it is a highly specialized material and can be quite expensive. You may want to consider using a different type of liquid, such as water or oil, if you are on a budget.

Overall, my advice would be to do some more research and possibly consult with a physics expert or engineer before proceeding with your project. It is always better to have a well-informed and well-planned design rather than jumping in blindly.

I wish you the best of luck with your project and I hope it turns out to be a success! Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions or need further guidance.

Best regards,

Related to Question on magnetic levitation project.

1. What is magnetic levitation?

Magnetic levitation is a phenomenon in which an object is suspended in the air using magnetic fields. This is achieved by using magnetic force to counteract the gravitational force, allowing the object to float without any physical support.

2. How does magnetic levitation work?

Magnetic levitation works by using the repulsive force between two magnets to push apart and create a stable equilibrium. This force is strong enough to counteract the gravitational force on the object, resulting in levitation.

3. What materials are needed for a magnetic levitation project?

The materials needed for a magnetic levitation project include strong magnets, a magnetic levitation kit or platform, a power source, and a control system. Additional materials such as sensors, wires, and tools may also be required depending on the specific project.

4. What are the applications of magnetic levitation?

Magnetic levitation has various applications, including high-speed transportation systems such as maglev trains, magnetic bearings for rotating machinery, and levitation for displays and demonstrations. It can also be used in experiments and research to study electromagnetic forces.

5. What are the advantages of using magnetic levitation?

Using magnetic levitation has several advantages, including reduced friction and wear, increased stability, and improved energy efficiency. It also allows for smooth and quiet movement, making it suitable for applications such as transportation and sensitive equipment. Additionally, magnetic levitation does not require physical contact, reducing the need for maintenance and repairs.