Question on lorentz transformation equations

In summary: If θ is the angle between the x-axis and the line from the origin to the point of interest, then -iβv would be the slope of the line at that point.
demonelite123
i am reading Lillian R. Lieber's book on the einstein theory of relativity and i am a bit confused on page 65. she wants to take the equations:
x=x'cosθ - y'sinθ
y=x'sinθ + y'cosθ

and compare them to:
x'=β(x-vt)
t'=β(t-vx/c2)

she takes c as one so:
x'=β(x-vt)
t'=β(t-vx)

she solves for x and t and gets:
x=β(x'+vt')
t=β(t'+vx')

then she replaces t with iτ and t' with iτ' and she gets:
x=β(x'+vt')
iτ = iβτ' + βvx'

x=β(x'+vt')
τ=βτ' + iβvx'

next is the part i am confused about. she sets β = cosθ and -iβv = sinθ. this nicely turns the Lorentz equations into:
x=x'cosθ - τ'sinθ
τ=x'sinθ + τ'cosθ

what i don't understand is how did she choose -iβv = sinθ? it works out all nicely in the end but how did she know that sinθ had to equal -iβv? was it arbitrary as a result of trial and error or did she use β = cosθ in order to figure out that -iβv = sinθ?

Physics news on Phys.org
demonelite123 said:
next is the part i am confused about. she sets β = cosθ and -iβv = sinθ. this nicely turns the Lorentz equations into:
x=x'cosθ - τ'sinθ
τ=x'sinθ + τ'cosθ

what i don't understand is how did she choose -iβv = sinθ? it works out all nicely in the end but how did she know that sinθ had to equal -iβv? was it arbitrary as a result of trial and error or did she use β = cosθ in order to figure out that -iβv = sinθ?

This can't be, are you sure that the author is not setting:

[tex]\beta=cosh(\theta)[/tex] and [tex]\beta v= sinh (\theta)[/tex]. Note the use of hyperbolic trigonometry as in https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=1911

Last edited by a moderator:
starthaus said:
This can't be, are you sure that the author is not setting:

[tex]\beta=cosh(\theta)[/tex] and [tex]\beta v= sinh (\theta)[/tex]. Note the use of hyperbolic trigonometry as in https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=1911

But you can use the substitutions sinh x = -isin ix and cosh x = cos ix.

Anyway the answer to demonelite, thoguh I haven't been looked at myself, is that your question should be answered by considering what θ is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Question on lorentz transformation equations

What are the Lorentz transformation equations?

The Lorentz transformation equations are a set of equations that describe how space and time coordinates change between two frames of reference moving at a constant velocity relative to each other. They were developed by Hendrik Lorentz and Albert Einstein as part of the theory of special relativity.

Why are the Lorentz transformation equations important?

The Lorentz transformation equations are important because they help us understand how space and time are relative and how they can appear differently to different observers. They also play a crucial role in many areas of physics, including electromagnetism and particle physics.

How do you derive the Lorentz transformation equations?

The Lorentz transformation equations can be derived using the principles of special relativity, specifically the constancy of the speed of light and the relativity of simultaneity. They can also be derived from the Galilean transformation equations by taking into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

What is the difference between the Lorentz transformation equations and the Galilean transformation equations?

The main difference between the Lorentz transformation equations and the Galilean transformation equations is that the Lorentz equations take into account the principles of special relativity, such as the constancy of the speed of light and the relativity of simultaneity. This allows for a more accurate description of space and time in situations where objects are moving at high speeds.

Can the Lorentz transformation equations be used in everyday life?

While the Lorentz transformation equations are primarily used in the field of theoretical physics, they do have practical applications in technologies such as GPS navigation systems and particle accelerators. However, in most everyday situations, the effects of special relativity are negligible and the Galilean transformation equations can be used instead.