Question on Law conservation of Mechanical Energy

In summary: Thus the car has actually reached a higher point than it initially perceived. In summary, the Roller coaster has a speed of 15.6m/s and has a height of .457 km at point C.
LiveEz

Homework Statement

Assuming no friction or air resistance, calculate the height at C if at point A, the roller coaster had a speed of 20 m/s, and height of 0.45 km. The height at point B is 0 m. The speed at C is 15.6m/s.

So basically the roller coaster starts from A which is 0.45 Km high and moves forward (down) with a speed of 20m/s and the roller coaster dips down to point B where the height is 0 m. Then the roller coaster goes up to point C.

Homework Equations

Eti = Etf (Initial mechanical energy = final mechanical energy)
Ek = mv^2/2
Eg= mgh
g= 9.80 m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the the law of mechanical energy equation and had to find the velocity of point B to move on to find the height of point c.
So using the given information and the equations, I found that the velocity at point B is 96 m/s (rounded to significant digits)and using the velocity of Point B and the other information given I was able to determine that the height is 0.457 km a point C.

But... the height for point c seems wrong according the diagram.
I could be wrong but I think point c should be less than the height of point A, according to the diagram.

Physics news on Phys.org
LiveEz said:
But... the height for point c seems wrong according the diagram.
I could be wrong but I think point c should be less than the height of point A, according to the diagram.
I haven't checked your calculations, but why would you think that point C should be lower than point A? I assume point C is meant to be the highest point reached by the coaster?

Conservation of energy

1/2mv^2 + mgh = 1/2mv^2 + mgh

you can drop the mass out since the mass is constant. thus,

1/2v1^2 + gh1 = 1/2v2^2 +gh2

Use a and b to find the speed at b, and then b and c to find the height at c

C should be higher, since the velocity at C is less than the velocity at A you can infer that the car has passed it's initial point. Since it had an initial velocity of 20 m/s you would expect it to have a final velocity of 20 m/s when it reached the dame height on the other side. however, the velocity is lower stating that it has traveled passed the point of equal height and slowed down more.

Can you please double check your calculations and equations?

Thank you for your question. I understand your concern about the height at point C and I would be happy to double check the calculations and equations. However, before doing so, I would like to clarify a few things.

Firstly, in the homework statement, it is mentioned that the roller coaster starts at point A with a speed of 20 m/s and a height of 0.45 km. However, in your solution, you have calculated the velocity at point B to be 96 m/s. This seems to be a significant difference and I would like to know how you arrived at this value.

Secondly, it is important to note that the law of conservation of mechanical energy states that the total mechanical energy (kinetic energy + potential energy) of a system remains constant in the absence of external forces. Therefore, at point A, the roller coaster has a certain amount of kinetic energy and potential energy. As it moves from point A to point B, its kinetic energy decreases due to the force of gravity and its potential energy increases due to the increase in height. At point B, its kinetic energy is zero and its potential energy is at its maximum. From point B to point C, the roller coaster continues to move upwards, converting its potential energy back into kinetic energy. Therefore, the total mechanical energy at points A, B, and C should remain the same.

Lastly, I would like to clarify the units used in your calculations. In the homework statement, the height at point A is given in kilometers (km) and the speed at point C is given in meters per second (m/s). In your solution, you have used the value of acceleration due to gravity (g) in meters per second squared (m/s^2). It is important to use consistent units in your calculations to avoid any errors.

Once you have clarified these points, I would be happy to review your calculations and equations to ensure they are correct. Thank you.

Related to Question on Law conservation of Mechanical Energy

Question 1: What is the Law of Conservation of Mechanical Energy?

The Law of Conservation of Mechanical Energy states that the total amount of mechanical energy in a closed system remains constant over time, regardless of any internal changes or external forces. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transferred or transformed from one form to another.

Question 2: What are the two forms of mechanical energy?

The two forms of mechanical energy are kinetic energy and potential energy. Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration.

Question 3: How is mechanical energy conserved in a closed system?

Mechanical energy is conserved in a closed system through the principle of work-energy theorem. This theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. Therefore, in a closed system, any increase in kinetic energy is accompanied by an equal decrease in potential energy, and vice versa, resulting in a constant total mechanical energy.

Question 4: What are some real-life examples of the Law of Conservation of Mechanical Energy?

One example is a roller coaster. At the highest point of the track, the train has maximum potential energy and minimum kinetic energy. As it moves down the track, potential energy decreases and kinetic energy increases, but the total mechanical energy remains constant. Another example is a pendulum, where the potential energy at the highest point is converted into kinetic energy at the lowest point and back again, with no net change in the total mechanical energy.

Question 5: Are there any exceptions to the Law of Conservation of Mechanical Energy?

Yes, there are a few exceptions. In situations involving non-conservative forces like friction, some mechanical energy may be converted into other forms of energy such as heat or sound, resulting in a decrease in the total mechanical energy. However, the total energy in the system, including non-mechanical forms, will still remain constant.