Question on how to prepare mixtures

In summary, follow these steps to prepare 250mL of 0.200M Fe(NO3)3 in 0.1M HNO3 using solid Fe(NO3)3*9H2O as the starting material. Good luck!
r3dxP
Question on how to prepare mixtures.. need help!

Hey. I have this lab that's due in like 4hours.. any help within this time period will be greatly helpful..

Ok.. this is the question that i have been struggling with:

Starting with solid Fe(NO3)3*9H2O, describe the preparation of 250mL of .200M Fe(NO3)3 in .1M HNO3.

the Fe(NO3)3*9H2O is an anhydrate where * = that dot

Chemistry news on Phys.org
thing that looks like a period

Hi there,

Preparing mixtures can be a bit tricky, but I am here to help! Here are the steps you can follow to prepare 250mL of 0.200M Fe(NO3)3 in 0.1M HNO3:

1. Determine the amount of Fe(NO3)3*9H2O needed. Since the molar mass of Fe(NO3)3*9H2O is 403.99 g/mol, you will need 0.200 moles of this compound for 250mL of 0.200M solution.

2. Weigh out 80.8 grams of Fe(NO3)3*9H2O using a balance.

3. Transfer the weighed Fe(NO3)3*9H2O into a volumetric flask. Volumetric flasks are designed to hold a specific volume of liquid at a specific temperature, so they are perfect for preparing solutions.

4. Add a small amount of distilled water to the flask and swirl it to dissolve the Fe(NO3)3*9H2O. Make sure all of the solid is dissolved before moving on to the next step.

5. Once the solid is dissolved, add more distilled water to the flask until the total volume reaches 250mL. Use a graduated cylinder to measure the volume accurately.

6. Next, determine the amount of HNO3 needed. Since the molar mass of HNO3 is 63.01 g/mol, you will need 0.1 moles of HNO3 for 250mL of 0.1M solution.

7. Measure out 6.3 grams of HNO3 using a balance.

8. Add the HNO3 to the volumetric flask containing the Fe(NO3)3*9H2O solution.

9. Swirl the flask to mix the solutions together.

10. Your final mixture should be 250mL of 0.200M Fe(NO3)3 in 0.1M HNO3.

Remember to label your flask with the concentration and date. I hope this helps and good luck with your lab! Let me know if you have any other questions.

in the middle

Sure, I can definitely help you with this question on preparing mixtures. Here are the steps to prepare 250mL of 0.200M Fe(NO3)3 in 0.1M HNO3:

1. Start by calculating the amount of Fe(NO3)3*9H2O needed to make 250mL of 0.200M solution. To do this, we will use the formula: molarity (M) = moles (n) / volume (V). Rearrange the formula to solve for moles (n): n = M x V. Plug in the values: n = 0.200M x 0.250L = 0.050 moles.

2. Next, we need to convert the moles of Fe(NO3)3*9H2O to grams. To do this, we need to know the molar mass of Fe(NO3)3*9H2O. The molar mass is calculated by adding the atomic masses of each element in the compound. In this case, Fe(NO3)3*9H2O has a molar mass of 404.00 g/mol. Multiply the moles of Fe(NO3)3*9H2O by its molar mass: 0.050 moles x 404.00 g/mol = 20.20 grams.

3. Now, we need to prepare a solution of 0.1M HNO3. To do this, we will use the same formula as before: molarity (M) = moles (n) / volume (V). Rearrange the formula to solve for volume (V): V = n / M. Plug in the values: V = 0.050 moles / 0.100M = 0.500L or 500mL.

4. Measure out 500mL of 0.1M HNO3 using a graduated cylinder or volumetric flask.

5. Add the 20.20 grams of Fe(NO3)3*9H2O to the 500mL of 0.1M HNO3. Stir until the Fe(NO3)3*9H2O has completely dissolved.

6. Finally, add enough water to bring the total volume to 250mL. This will give you a final concentration of 0.200M Fe(NO

Related to Question on how to prepare mixtures

1. What is a mixture?

A mixture is a combination of two or more substances that are physically combined, but not chemically bonded. This means that the substances in a mixture can be separated by physical means, such as filtering or evaporation.

2. How do I prepare a mixture?

The process for preparing a mixture depends on the specific substances being mixed. In general, you can combine the substances in a container and mix them together thoroughly. Some mixtures may require heating or stirring to ensure that the substances are evenly distributed.

3. What are some examples of mixtures?

Some common examples of mixtures include salt water, air, and salad dressing. Other examples include sugar and water, sand and pebbles, and milk and cereal.

4. Can I separate a mixture after it has been prepared?

Yes, most mixtures can be separated by physical means. For example, you can filter a mixture of sand and water to separate the sand from the water. You can also use evaporation to separate a mixture of salt and water, as the water will evaporate and leave the salt behind.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when preparing mixtures?

Yes, it is important to always follow safety guidelines when handling substances and preparing mixtures. This may include wearing protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and avoiding contact with corrosive or toxic substances. It is also important to properly dispose of any leftover mixture and clean up any spills or messes.