Question on four momentum squared

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion around the calculation of four momentum squared, which can be simplified to m2c2 by using the relation gamma squared equals 1 over 1 minus v squared over c squared. This simplification is important in arriving at the correct result of m2c2 for the modulus of the four momentum, which is invariant.
bonbon22
Homework Statement
Why does the four momentum squared lead to simply m^2*c^2
Relevant Equations
P (mc,mVx,mVy,mVz) <---- components of four vector where v is velocity in x y z directions
mc*mc - (three vector multiplied and added with corresponding parts)
ϒ = gamma factor = lorentz factor = (1/1-v[SUP]2[/SUP]/c[SUP]2[/SUP])[SUP]1/2[/SUP]
google lorentz factor if it looks confusing.
P ⋅ P/[p][p] =cos(θ) <----- three scalar product rule a level maths stuff
So i have taken a beginner course on relativity, first year physics student. I am confused as to why four momentum squared simply gives
m2* c22 -(three vector multiplied and added with corresponding parts) *ϒ2
so as the three vector part which is being subtracted, is the same as - (P ⋅ P) *ϒ2, a normal three dot product, which is the same as the - [p][p]cos(θ)*ϒ2
,but what would cos(θ) be ? If it is zero then we have an actual value for [p][p]cos(θ) = [p][p] which then i don't get how
m2* c22 - [p][p]cos(θ)*ϒ2 = is somehow simply m2* c22?

finally in many questions i have come across they seem to ignore fully the *ϒ2
(1/1-v2/c2)1/2 factor when doing conservation of four momentum problems. Where P1 +P1 =P3
where P1, P2,P3 are four momentums with the four components. Squaring both sides i get P12 + P22 + P1*P2 = P32 which ends up being m12c2 +m22c2 plus four vector product = m32c2[/SUP][/SUP]

Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation is somewhat hard to read, but you do not appear to me to have quoted the four momentum correctly. It is ##P=(\gamma mc,\gamma m\vec v)##, where ##m## is the rest mass and ##\vec v## is shorthand for the three spatial components of velocity. The answer you are looking for follows directly.

Ibix said:
Your notation is somewhat hard to read, but you do not appear to me to have quoted the four momentum correctly. It is ##P=(\gamma mc,\gamma m\vec v)##, where ##m## is the rest mass and ##\vec v## is shorthand for the three spatial components of velocity. The answer you are looking for follows directly.
Exactly thank you that does look better I am new to using the symbols my mistake.

So squaring a four momentum vector with itself gives (##\gamma mc## )2 subtracted with the ##\gamma##2## m ##2##\vec v## *##\vec v##

where the ##\vec v## *##\vec v## can be written as the [##\vec v##][##\vec v##]cos(θ)

P2 = (##\gamma mc## )2 - ##\gamma##2## m ##2##\vec v## *##\vec v##
or
P2 = (##\gamma mc## )2 - ##\gamma##2## m ##2[##\vec v##][##\vec v##]cos(θ)

im guessing as the the two four vectors are in the same direction the angle is zero the cos(θ) is then 1 simply so i don't simply get an answer of (##\gamma mc## )2

that was my question how did they arrive at the answer of (##\gamma mc## )2.

bonbon22 said:
im guessing as the the two four vectors are in the same direction the angle is zero the cos(θ) is then 1 simply so i don't simply get an answer of (γmc\gamma mc )2

that was my question how did they arrive at the answer of (γmc\gamma mc )2.
You are correct that the ##\theta## is the angle between the vectors, and the angle between a vector and itself is, indeed, zero.

I'm not sure what you are expecting to be equal to ##(\gamma mc) ^2##. The modulus of the four momentum is just ##(mc) ^2##. The modulus of the four momentum (and any four vector) is invariant, and cannot depend on a frame-dependant quantity like ##\gamma##.

bonbon22 said:
Exactly thank you that does look better I am new to using the symbols my mistake.

So squaring a four momentum vector with itself gives (##\gamma mc## )2 subtracted with the ##\gamma##2## m ##2##\vec v## *##\vec v##

where the ##\vec v## *##\vec v## can be written as the [##\vec v##][##\vec v##]cos(θ)

or
P2 = (##\gamma mc## )2 - ##\gamma##2## m ##2[##\vec v##][##\vec v##]cos(θ)

im guessing as the the two four vectors are in the same direction the angle is zero the cos(θ) is then 1 simply so i don't simply get an answer of (##\gamma mc## )2

that was my question how did they arrive at the answer of (##\gamma mc## )2.

Remember that ##\gamma^2 = \frac{1}{1- v^2/c^2}##.

Or, sometimes more useful is:

##\frac{1}{\gamma^2} = 1 - v^2/c^2##

PeroK said:
Remember that ##\gamma^2 = \frac{1}{1- v^2/c^2}##.

Or, sometimes more useful is:

##\frac{1}{\gamma^2} = 1 - v^2/c^2##
i see, but how does that link in with the problem?

bonbon22 said:
i see, but how does that link in with the problem?
It simplifies the expression to ##m^2 c^2##, which is the correct result.

Ibix said:
You are correct that the ##\theta## is the angle between the vectors, and the angle between a vector and itself is, indeed, zero.

I'm not sure what you are expecting to be equal to ##(\gamma mc) ^2##. The modulus of the four momentum is just ##(mc) ^2##. The modulus of the four momentum (and any four vector) is invariant, and cannot depend on a frame-dependant quantity like ##\gamma##.
I see, i understand so in this case do we just ignore the gamma factor? Can we only ignore this factor when gamma is equal to 1 for that to be true wouldn't the velocity be equal to C?

bonbon22 said:
I see, i understand so in this case do we just ignore the gamma factor?
No. But cos(0)=1.

bonbon22 said:
I see, i understand so in this case do we just ignore the gamma factor? Can we only ignore this factor when gamma is equal to 1 for that to be true wouldn't the velocity be equal to C?
##\gamma = 1## when ##v = 0##.

No one is ignoring the gamma factor. Have you heard of algebra or the concept of simplifying an expression?

What level of mathematics have you studied?

bonbon22 said:
No. You wrote:
bonbon22 said:
(incidentally, the * should be a dot) and we've just agreed that this is ##(\gamma mc)^2-\gamma^2 m^2v^2## because the dot product of a 3-vector with itself is just its length squared. Getting to the correct result is just algebra from here (hint: ##\gamma=1/\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}=c/\sqrt{c^2-v^2}##). As @PeroK asks, how much algebra do you know?

Last edited:
PeroK said:
##\gamma = 1## when ##v = 0##.

No one is ignoring the gamma factor. Have you heard of algebra or the concept of simplifying an expression?

What level of mathematics have you studied?
Why are you tryn diss me mate you feelin alright. I understand the expression but why would you write v=o when you square a four momentum. If you read my post you would know what level I am studying at.

bonbon22 said:
Why are you tryn diss me mate you feelin alright. I understand the expression but why would you write v=o when you square a four momentum.
You wouldn't. Nobody is doing this, as has been noted several times.

As has also been said a couple of times, all you need to do is work through the algebra and you will find the answer you are expecting. How far have you got with this?

Likes bonbon22
Ibix said:
You wouldn't. Nobody is doing this, as has been noted several times.

As has also been said a couple of times, all you need to do is work through the algebra and you will find the answer you are expecting. How far have you got with this?
I just realized my mistake apologies, for making v = to c and actually solving the problem cheers you two. @Ibix @PeroK

bonbon22 said:
I just realized my mistake apologies, for making v = to c and actually solving the problem cheers you two. @Ibix @PeroK
...um, you don't need to make ##v## equal to ##c##. The ##\gamma## drops out for any ##v##.

Likes bonbon22
Ibix said:
...um, you don't need to make ##v## equal to ##c##. The ##\gamma## drops out for any ##v##.
no i understand that replying to what @PeroK said i wrongly made v = to c to make gamma = to 1 by mistake. Wait why does it drop out for any v.

bonbon22 said:
Wait why does it drop out for any v.
Based on what you've learned in this thread, why don't you post what you have so far? I don't think it's clear to any of us here what you're getting stuck on.

Related to Question on four momentum squared

What is four momentum squared?

Four momentum squared is a mathematical concept used in particle physics to describe the energy and momentum of a particle. It is represented by the symbol p2 and is defined as the dot product of a particle's four momentum with itself.

How is four momentum squared calculated?

To calculate four momentum squared, you need to know the energy and momentum of a particle. The equation is p2 = E2 - (pc)2, where E is the energy and p is the momentum of the particle. The c represents the speed of light, which is a constant value of approximately 3 x 108 m/s.

What is the significance of four momentum squared in particle physics?

In particle physics, four momentum squared is used to determine the mass of a particle. This is important because the mass of a particle is not constant and can change depending on its energy and momentum. Four momentum squared allows physicists to calculate the mass of a particle in a specific energy state.

How is four momentum squared related to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. Four momentum squared is related to this principle because it describes the momentum of a particle, which is one of the quantities that is uncertain according to the principle.

Can four momentum squared be negative?

Yes, four momentum squared can be negative. This can happen when the energy of a particle is lower than its rest mass energy, resulting in a negative value for p2. This is a common occurrence in particle collisions and is necessary for the conservation of energy and momentum.