Question on electron-positron scattering

• Thread starter Morgoth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scattering
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the extreme relativistic differential cross section for electron-positron scattering. The speaker has evaluated the cross section up to their attachment's form and is now trying to work with the center-of-mass frame system. They are asked to find the 4-components of ps and qs, but are unsure how to work with the denominator. Another person suggests using the on-shell condition for denominators and clarifies how to do so.
Morgoth
Well I am sure this is a lame question, but I am stuck over it for hours. I'm working on Bjorken, Drell book, and I'm trying to calculate the extreme relativistic differential cross section for electron-positron scattering.

Well, I have evaluated the cross section up to my attachment's form...

Then it says in order to keep working we choose the center-of-mass frame system, and gives us the inner products of p1,p1',-q1,-q1'

p1p1'=q1q1'=2E2sin2(θ/2)
p1(-q1')=p1'(-q1)=2Ε2
p1(-q1)=p1'(-q1')=2Ε2cos2(θ/2)

However that way I can calculate the quantities on the numerator, but I don't know how to work with the denominator...
could someone just tell me how i can find the 4-components of ps and qs?

Attachments

• positronelectron.png
    positronelectron.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 536
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
why don't you involve the on-shell condition for denominators i.e like p12=m2 also expanding in the denominator you will have the terms which can be filled up by the relation you already wrote

Just to clarify what andrien means:

Take the first term, the denominator is [itex](p'-p_1)^2 = p'^2 + p_1^2 - 2 (p' \cdot p_1)[/itex].

In the relativistic limit we can ignore the light masses, since the p's are on-shell, which means p^2 = m^2, but in the relativistic limit that goes to zero.
So that denominator becomes [itex]\frac{-1}{2 p' \cdot p_1}[/itex] which you have above in terms of energy.

Related to Question on electron-positron scattering

1. What is electron-positron scattering?

Electron-positron scattering is a type of interaction between an electron and a positron (anti-electron), where they exchange energy and momentum through the emission and absorption of virtual particles. This process is described by quantum electrodynamics and is used to study the structure and properties of matter.

2. What are the applications of electron-positron scattering in research?

Electron-positron scattering has a wide range of applications in various fields of research, such as particle physics, material science, and nuclear physics. It is used to study the fundamental properties of particles, the structure of atoms and molecules, and the behavior of matter at the subatomic level.

3. How does electron-positron scattering contribute to our understanding of the universe?

By studying electron-positron scattering, scientists are able to gain insights into the fundamental forces and interactions that govern the behavior of matter in the universe. This helps us understand the origins of the universe, the structure of matter, and the nature of space and time.

4. What are the experimental techniques used to study electron-positron scattering?

There are several experimental techniques used to study electron-positron scattering, including colliders such as the Large Hadron Collider, storage rings like the Advanced Light Source, and scattering experiments using high-energy electron beams. These techniques allow scientists to observe and measure the interactions between the particles.

5. What are the potential future developments in electron-positron scattering research?

With advancements in technology and the development of more powerful accelerators, scientists hope to study electron-positron scattering at higher energies and with greater precision. This could lead to new discoveries and a deeper understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe.