Question on electromagnetic repulsion

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a simple electromagnet using an iron nail, insulated copper wiring, and a 9v battery. The intention is to use the electromagnet to repel a small permanent magnet, but the result is that the electromagnet can only attract the permanent magnet. The issue may be due to a problem with connecting the poles (S to S or N to N) or the force of the permanent magnet being greater than the force of magnetic repulsion. Suggestions are given, including using a 1.5 D cell for the power source and using 100 feet of 24 ga copper wire for the coil. The dimensions of the permanent magnet and the nail are also mentioned. The conversation ends with the hope
willynilly
I have made a simple electromagnet with an iron nail, insulated copper wiring, and a 9v battery. My intention is to use the electromagnet to repel a small permanent magnet, but for some reason, I can only get the electromagnet to attract the permanent magnet. I figure I must have a problem with connecting the poles (S to S or N to N.)

I'm thinking maybe this is happening because the force of the permanent magnet being attracted to the nail is greater than the force of the magnetic repulsion.

Any suggestions? What can I do to get repulsion?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
willynilly said:
I'm thinking maybe this is happening because the force of the permanent magnet being attracted to the nail is greater than the force of the magnetic repulsion.

An object cannot be attracted, but yet be repealed at the same time. You should have at least posted some dimensions of the magnet (length, width, mass, etc.) and the type of battery that you are using and the current that it delivers.

Because of the resistance of copper wires, you are much better off getting a 1.5 D cell for your power source. 24 Ga copper wire is about 38 ft per ohm, so you should use about 100 ft for your coil.

The permanent magnet is circular, about 1-inch diameter and about 1/4 inch thick. It's not very powerful.

The nail is 6 inches long. I have no idea how many feet of wire I used or how many coils, but the entire thing is covered.

Hopefully I have a 1.5 D cell laying around somewhere that I can try out.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Related to Question on electromagnetic repulsion

1. What is electromagnetic repulsion?

Electromagnetic repulsion is a fundamental force of nature that causes like charges to repel each other. This force is a result of the interaction between electrically charged particles.

2. How does electromagnetic repulsion work?

Electromagnetic repulsion works by the exchange of virtual particles known as photons between two charged particles. These photons carry the force of the repulsion and cause the particles to push away from each other.

3. What are some examples of electromagnetic repulsion?

Some examples of electromagnetic repulsion include two positively charged particles pushing away from each other, two negatively charged particles repelling each other, and a positively charged particle being repelled by a negatively charged particle.

4. How is electromagnetic repulsion related to electricity and magnetism?

Electromagnetic repulsion is a result of the fundamental forces of electricity and magnetism. When two charged particles interact, their electric fields and magnetic fields combine to cause the repulsion between them.

5. Can electromagnetic repulsion be observed in everyday life?

Yes, electromagnetic repulsion can be observed in everyday life. A simple example is when you try to push two magnets with the same poles together, and you feel a force pushing them apart. This is due to the repulsive force between the magnets caused by electromagnetic repulsion.