Question on Electrical Potential Energy

In summary: Therefore, kq1q2/r initial = -kq1q2/2 + mv^2 = -5.0E-6 + 5.8E-3 = -2.2E-6.In summary, when the particles are initially 0.70 m apart, each has a negative electrical potential energy of -2.2E-6 J. They then move toward each other at a speed of 5.8E-3 m/s.
tigerguy
Two particles each have a mass of 5.8E-3 kg. One has a charge of +5.0E-6 C, and the other has a charge of -5.0E-6 C. They are initially held at rest at a distance of 0.70 m apart. Both are then released and accelerate toward each other. How fast is each particle moving when the separation between them is one-half its initial value?
--
I've been trying a few steps to solve this question. I realize that I need to take a conservation of energy approach, where the Electrical Potential Energy initial = EPE final + KE final.

I'm not sure, however, if I am missing any potential energies, and how to calculate the EPE. How would I mathematically differentiate between initial and final?

Maybe someone can lead me in the right direction with how to calculate the EPE and confirm if my thinking up to this point is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remembering that electric potential energy = -kq1q2/r (how do you get those cool white boxes with the math terms in them?), you can easily calculate the potential energy at the full and half distance between them. Keep in mind that the EPE is negative... if they're infinitly far away, it's equal to zero, and gets smaller (more negative) as they approach.

Then each of them should have an equal kinetic energy

So you are saying basically that kq1q2/r initial = 1/2mv^2 + kq1q2/r final, where the r initial is 0.70 and the r final is 0.35? And then solve for the v?

Thanks for your help so far

tigerguy, the only problem is the 1/2mv^2. There are two objects moving with equal speed, so you need to keep their kinetic energies separate (although they can be added together)

When you say keep their kinetic energies separate, do you mean that I need two terms that represent kinetic energy (where they would add to mv^2, as their masses are the same)?

Exactly, because they are both moving.

If you had two bowling balls, and 10J of kinetic energy to give them (forgive me for being ambiguous about how the energy is transferred), and you wanted to make them both move at the same speed, how would you calculate the speed? You wouldn't use 1/2mv^2 = 10

It's the same concept here

I'm getting mv^2 equaling a negative answer, which is obviously wrong. I'm confused as to where I've gone wrong:

-kq1q2/r = -kq1q2/r + mv^2

You haven't specified the values of r; realize that [itex]r_1 = r_2/2[/itex].

Related to Question on Electrical Potential Energy

1. What is electrical potential energy?

Electrical potential energy is the energy stored in an object or system as a result of the position or arrangement of charged particles. It is a form of potential energy that is associated with the electrical forces between particles.

2. How is electrical potential energy related to electric fields?

Electrical potential energy is closely related to electric fields. The electric potential energy of a charged particle is dependent on its position in an electric field, and the force exerted on a charged particle by an electric field is directly related to the change in potential energy.

3. What factors affect the amount of electrical potential energy in a system?

The amount of electrical potential energy in a system is affected by the magnitude and sign of the charges involved, the distance between the charges, and the medium in which the charges are located. Additionally, the presence of any external electric fields can also affect the amount of potential energy in a system.

4. How is electrical potential energy calculated?

The electrical potential energy of a system can be calculated using the equation U = kQq/r, where U is the potential energy, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q and q are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

5. What are some real-life applications of electrical potential energy?

Electrical potential energy has various practical applications, such as in batteries, capacitors, and electrical circuits. It is also used in various technologies, such as generators, motors, and power plants. Additionally, electrical potential energy is essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of lightning and other electrical phenomena.