Question on derivatives of Hermitian conjugate scalar fields

In summary, the conversation is about the difference between two notations for partial derivatives and the use of the overbar in the Dirac Lagrangian density. The conclusion is that the two notations are equivalent and the use of the overbar is a matter of convention. The conversation also touches upon the use of the ##\overleftrightarrow{\partial_{\mu}}## notation and the importance of understanding it in order to be familiar with certain textbooks.
"Don't panic!"
Hi,

I know this question may seem a little trivial, but is there any real difference between

[itex]\left (\partial_{\mu} \phi \right)^{\dagger}[/itex] and [itex]\partial_{\mu} \phi^{\dagger}[/itex]

and if so, could someone provide an explanation?

Many thanks.

(Sorry if this isn't quite in the right section, this is my first ever post).

Physics news on Phys.org
"Don't panic!" said:
[...] is there any real difference between [itex]\left (\partial_{\mu} \phi \right)^{\dagger}[/itex] and [itex]\partial_{\mu} \phi^{\dagger}[/itex]
Assuming that by ##\partial_\mu##, you mean a partial derivative wrt a real parameter, then no.

Yes, sorry I meant wrt [itex] x^{\mu}[/itex], where [itex] x^{\mu}[/itex] is the usual space-time coordinate 4-vector, such that [itex] \partial_{\mu}\equiv\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\mu}}[/itex]

Is it just convention then to, for example, express the Dirac Lagrangian density as

[itex] \cal{L}=i\overline{\Psi}\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu} \Psi - i\overline{\left(\partial_{\mu}\Psi\right)}\gamma^{\mu}\Psi-\overline {\Psi}m\Psi [/itex]

(I've seen it expressed like this in several lecture note PDFs and textbooks that I've read)? Is it written this way just so the notation

[itex] \frac{i}{2}\overline{\Psi}\gamma^{\mu}\overleftrightarrow{\partial_{\mu}} \Psi = i\overline{\Psi}\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu} \Psi - i\overline{\left(\partial_{\mu}\Psi\right)}\gamma^{\mu}\Psi [/itex]

makes sense?

I seem to remember, maybe incorrectly, that it has to be operated on in this fashion so that it preserves the Hermicity of the Lagrangian for Spinor fields [itex] \Psi [/itex] and [itex] \overline{\Psi}[/itex] ?

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:
"Don't panic!" said:
[...] Is it written this way just so the notation

[itex] \frac{i}{2}\overline{\Psi}\gamma^{\mu}\overleftrightarrow{\partial_{\mu}} \Psi = i\overline{\Psi}\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu} \Psi - i\overline{\left(\partial_{\mu}\Psi\right)}\gamma^{\mu}\Psi [/itex]

makes sense?
It seems to me that one may understand this by just acting with ##\partial## on everything to its left. The constant ##\gamma^\mu## passes through the derivative. Then revert to conventional right-acting derivative notation, inserting parentheses so as to preserve the meaning of the expression. But in this case, one could move the overbar inside the parentheses, afaict.

BTW, note also that the overbar typically means a Dirac adjoint, so you've got a ##\gamma^0## floating around in there.

I seem to remember, maybe incorrectly, that it has to be operated on in this fashion so that it preserves the Hermicity of the Lagrangian for Spinor fields [itex] \Psi [/itex] and [itex] \overline{\Psi}[/itex] ?
I was never a fan of the ##\overleftrightarrow{\partial_{\mu}}## notation, and prefer to exhibit the Hermicity explicitly. But one must be conversant with the notation nevertheless, since many textbooks use it.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

Related to Question on derivatives of Hermitian conjugate scalar fields

1. What is a Hermitian conjugate scalar field?

A Hermitian conjugate scalar field is a mathematical concept in quantum field theory that describes a scalar field and its complex conjugate. It is represented by a complex number and its complex conjugate, and is used to describe the properties of particles in a quantum system.

2. How is the derivative of a Hermitian conjugate scalar field calculated?

The derivative of a Hermitian conjugate scalar field is calculated by taking the derivative of the scalar field and its complex conjugate separately, and then adding them together. This is known as the Hermitian conjugate derivative.

3. What is the significance of Hermitian conjugates in quantum mechanics?

Hermitian conjugates are important in quantum mechanics because they represent the properties of particles and their interactions in a quantum system. They help to describe the behavior of particles and their interactions in a mathematically rigorous way.

4. How do Hermitian conjugate scalar fields relate to operators in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, operators are used to represent physical observables such as position, momentum, and energy. Hermitian conjugate scalar fields can be related to operators through the process of quantization, where the classical fields are replaced with operators and the Hamiltonian is expressed in terms of these operators.

5. Are Hermitian conjugate scalar fields used in any other areas of physics?

Yes, Hermitian conjugate scalar fields are also used in other areas of physics such as condensed matter physics and statistical mechanics. They are used to describe the behavior of particles in these systems and their interactions with each other.