Question on deMorgans law on simplifying boolean expressions

In summary, deMorgan's law is a principle in Boolean algebra that allows us to rewrite complex expressions by changing the logical operator and distributing negations. It can be applied to any boolean expression and is a fundamental principle in various fields. While it is similar to the distributive law, deMorgan's law specifically deals with negations. It can be proven mathematically using logical equivalences and truth tables.
randomperson4

Homework Statement

I'm sure you all know deMorgans law on simplifying boolean expressions, I just can't seem to get it. It doesn't make sense to me, like ([not]x.[not]y) = [not]x + [not]y].2. The attempt at a solution

I tried it and I don't know why it doesn't work for me ie.
([not]1.[not]0) = [not]1 + [not]0 =
(0.1) = 0 + 1 =
0 = 1

See my problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
DeMorgan's says not[x].not[y]=not[x+y]. That's NOT the same as not[x]+not[y].

Woah, Thanks.

Related to Question on deMorgans law on simplifying boolean expressions

1. What is deMorgan's law?

DeMorgan's law is a principle in Boolean algebra that states that the negation of a conjunction (AND) is equivalent to the disjunction (OR) of the negations of its components, and vice versa. It is named after mathematician Augustus De Morgan.

2. How is deMorgan's law used to simplify boolean expressions?

DeMorgan's law allows us to rewrite complex boolean expressions in a simpler form by distributing the negation and changing the logical operator. For example, the expression ¬(A ∧ B) can be rewritten as ¬A ∨ ¬B, making it easier to evaluate.

3. Can deMorgan's law be applied to any boolean expression?

Yes, deMorgan's law can be applied to any boolean expression that contains logical operators (AND, OR, NOT). It is a fundamental principle in boolean algebra and can be used to simplify expressions in various contexts, such as circuit design and computer programming.

4. What is the difference between deMorgan's law and the distributive law?

The distributive law states that the product of two expressions added to a third expression is equal to the sum of each product of the first two expressions with the third expression. DeMorgan's law, on the other hand, specifically deals with the negation of logical expressions. While they may seem similar, deMorgan's law is a more specific application of the distributive law.

5. Can deMorgan's law be proved mathematically?

Yes, deMorgan's law can be proven using logical equivalences and truth tables. It can also be derived from other fundamental laws in boolean algebra, such as the commutative and associative laws.