Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Question on 1D heat equation

superbread88

Dec 19, 2012
Have been trying for hours but simply no results. Hope that someone can help me out.

\[\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=4\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}\]

for \(t>0\) and \(0\leq x\leq 2\) subject to the boundary conditions

\[u_x (0,t) = 0\mbox{ and }u(2,t) = 0\]

and the initial condition

\[u(x,0) = 2 \cos \left(\frac{7\pi x}{4}\right)\]

By the use of separations of variables, solve the above equation for the temperature \(u(x,t)\)

Last edited by a moderator:

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
Have been trying for hours but simply no results. Hope that someone can help me out.

∂u/∂t=4(∂^2 u)/(∂x^2 )

for t>0 and 0≤x≤2 subject to the boundary conditions

ux (0,t) = 0 and u(2,t) = 0

u(x,0) = 2 cos (7πx)/4

By the use of separations of variables, solve the above equation for the temperature u(x,t)

Let suppose that any solution can be written as $\displaystyle u(x,t)= \alpha(x)\ \beta(t)$, so that the PDE is written as...

$\displaystyle \frac{\alpha^{\ ''}}{\alpha} = \frac{\beta^{\ '}}{4\ \beta}=c$ (1)

... where c is a constant that we suppose to be negative so that we set $\displaystyle c=- \frac{1}{\lambda^{2}}$, $u_{t}= \alpha\ \beta^{\ '}$ and $u_{xx}= \beta\ \alpha^{\ ''}$ and arrive to the pair of ODE...

$\displaystyle \alpha^{\ ''}= - \frac{\alpha}{\lambda^{2}}$ (2)

$\displaystyle \beta^{\ '}= - \frac{4\ \beta}{\lambda^{2}}$ (3)

The (3) has solution...

$\beta = A\ e^{- \frac{4\ t}{\lambda^{2}}}$ (4)

... and (2) has solution...

$\alpha = B\ \cos (\frac{x}{\lambda}) + C\ \sin (\frac{x}{\lambda})$ (5)

Now we to introduce the 'conditions on the contour' that are...

$\displaystyle u(0,t)=u(2,t)=0\ ,\ u(x,0)= 2\ \cos (\frac{7}{4}\ \pi\ x)$ (6)

It is easy to see that the (6) are not coherent because for x=0 is u=0 no matter which is t, so that we take into account only the conditions $\displaystyle u(0,t)=u(2,t)=0$. In this case the value of $\lambda$ is $\displaystyle \lambda= \frac{2}{n\ \pi}$ and the solution becomes...

$\displaystyle u(x,t)= \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} c_{n} \sin (\frac{\pi}{2}\ n\ x)\ e^{- n^{2}\ \pi^{2}\ t}$ (7)

Marry Christmas from Serbia

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
Let suppose that any solution can be written as $\displaystyle u(x,t)= \alpha(x)\ \beta(t)$, so that the PDE is written as...

$\displaystyle \frac{\alpha^{\ ''}}{\alpha} = \frac{\beta^{\ '}}{4\ \beta}=c$ (1)

... where c is a constant that we suppose to be negative so that we set $\displaystyle c=- \frac{1}{\lambda^{2}}$, $u_{t}= \alpha\ \beta^{\ '}$ and $u_{xx}= \beta\ \alpha^{\ ''}$ and arrive to the pair of ODE...

$\displaystyle \alpha^{\ ''}= - \frac{\alpha}{\lambda^{2}}$ (2)

$\displaystyle \beta^{\ '}= - \frac{4\ \beta}{\lambda^{2}}$ (3)

The (3) has solution...

$\beta = A\ e^{- \frac{4\ t}{\lambda^{2}}}$ (4)

... and (2) has solution...

$\alpha = B\ \cos (\frac{x}{\lambda}) + C\ \sin (\frac{x}{\lambda})$ (5)

Now we to introduce the 'conditions on the contour' that are...

$\displaystyle u(0,t)=u(2,t)=0\ ,\ u(x,0)= 2\ \cos (\frac{7}{4}\ \pi\ x)$ (6)

It is easy to see that the (6) are not coherent because for x=0 is u=0 no matter which is t, so that we take into account only the conditions $\displaystyle u(0,t)=u(2,t)=0$. In this case the value of $\lambda$ is $\displaystyle \lambda= \frac{2}{n\ \pi}$ and the solution becomes...

$\displaystyle u(x,t)= \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} c_{n} \sin (\frac{\pi}{2}\ n\ x)\ e^{- n^{2}\ \pi^{2}\ t}$ (7)
The conditions on contour have been defined as 'non coherent' because the term $2\ \cos (\frac{7}{4}\ \pi\ x)$ for $x=0$ is $\ne 0$, but that isn't true if we set the last condition as...

$\displaystyle u(x,0)= g(x)= \begin{cases} 2\ \cos (\frac{7}{4}\ \pi\ x), & \text{if } 0< x <2\\
- 2\ \cos (\frac{7}{4}\ \pi\ x), & \text{if } -2 < x < 0\\ 0, & \text{if}\ x=-2,x=0, x=2\end{cases}$ (1)

Now g(x) can be written as a Fourier series on only sines with coefficients ...

$\displaystyle c_{n}= 2\ \int_{0}^{2} \cos (\frac{7}{4}\ \pi\ x)\ \sin (\frac{\pi}{2}\ n\ x)\ dx = \frac{16\ n}{4\ \pi\ n^{2} -49\ \pi}$ (2)

... so that the solution is...

$\displaystyle u(x,t) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{16\ n}{4\ \pi\ n^{2} -49\ \pi} \sin (\frac{\pi}{2}\ n\ x)\ e^{- n^{2}\ \pi^{2}\ t}$ (3)

$\chi$ $\sigma$

superbread88

Dec 19, 2012
The conditions on contour have been defined as 'non coherent' because the term $2\ \cos (\frac{7}{4}\ \pi\ x)$ for $x=0$ is $\ne 0$, but that isn't true if we set the last condition as...

$\displaystyle u(x,0)= g(x)= \begin{cases} 2\ \cos (\frac{7}{4}\ \pi\ x), & \text{if } 0< x <2\\
- 2\ \cos (\frac{7}{4}\ \pi\ x), & \text{if } -2 < x < 0\\ 0, & \text{if}\ x=-2,x=0, x=2\end{cases}$ (1)

Now g(x) can be written as a Fourier series on only sines with coefficients ...

$\displaystyle c_{n}= 2\ \int_{0}^{2} \cos (\frac{7}{4}\ \pi\ x)\ \sin (\frac{\pi}{2}\ n\ x)\ dx = \frac{16\ n}{4\ \pi\ n^{2} -49\ \pi}$ (2)

... so that the solution is...

$\displaystyle u(x,t) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{16\ n}{4\ \pi\ n^{2} -49\ \pi} \sin (\frac{\pi}{2}\ n\ x)\ e^{- n^{2}\ \pi^{2}\ t}$ (3)

$\chi$ $\sigma$
Thank you very much for your help Chisigma. I e-mail my professor with regards to this question and she only replied me her answer which is :

Untitled.jpg

I understood your working but my professor claim that the above is the correct answer and now I am really confused.

Sorry I tried my best to type this out using LaTeX but I simply don't know how to thus I insert a picture for illustration purpose.

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
Thank you very much for your help Chisigma. I e-mail my professor with regards to this question and she only replied me her answer which is :

View attachment 514

I understood your working but my professor claim that the above is the correct answer and now I am really confused.

Sorry I tried my best to type this out using LaTeX but I simply don't know how to thus I insert a picture for illustration purpose.
I think that you have a typo in the initial statement of the problem. You wrote

\[\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=4\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}\]

for \(t>0\) and \(0\leq x\leq 2\) subject to the boundary conditions

\[\color{red}{u_x (0,t) = 0}\mbox{ and }\color{red}{u(2,t) = 0}\]

\[u(x,0) = 2 \cos \left(\frac{7\pi x}{4}\right)\]
with the boundary conditions given as $u_x (0,t) = 0$ and $u(2,t) = 0$. Chisigma interpreted this as $u (0,t) = 0$ and $u(2,t) = 0$ (with no partial derivative in either condition). It looks as though you should have written $u_x (0,t) = 0$ and $u_x(2,t) = 0$ (with a partial derivative in both conditions). Chisigma's solution can then quite easily be modified to give the professor's solution.