Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Question-Laplace transform

evinda

MHB Site Helper
Apr 13, 2013
Hello!!!! :D
I have to find the solution of the equation [tex] y'(x)+5y(x)=e^{-x} , 0<x<\infty , y(0)=2 [/tex] , using the Laplace transform.
That's what I have done so far:
$$L\{y'(x)+5y(x)\}=L\{e^{-x}\}$$
$$L\{y'(x)\}+5L\{y(x)\}=L\{e^{-x}\}$$
$$sY(s)-y(0)+5Y(s)=\frac{1}{s+1}$$
$$Y(s)=\frac{2s+3}{(s+1)(s+5)}$$

But...which are the restrictions for s?How can I find them? :confused:

Random Variable

MHB Math Helper
Jan 31, 2012
Re: Question-Laplace trasform

I'm not sure what you mean by restrictions on $s$.

But the next step would be to decompose $Y(s)$ using partial fractions in order to find the inverse Laplace transform of $Y(s)$ (i.e., y(x)).

evinda

MHB Site Helper
Apr 13, 2013

I'm not sure what you mean by restrictions on $s$.

But the next step would be to decompose $Y(s)$ using partial fractions to find the inverse Laplace transform of $Y(s)$ (i.e., y(x)).
Should [tex](s+1)(s+5)[/tex] be greater than [tex]0[/tex]?

evinda

MHB Site Helper
Apr 13, 2013

Should [tex](s+1)(s+5)[/tex] be greater than [tex]0[/tex]?
I found that [tex]Y(s)=\frac{1}{4}\frac{1}{s+1}+\frac{7}{4}\frac{1}{s+5}[/tex].

But,before that,do I have to write what $s $should satisfy?

Random Variable

MHB Math Helper
Jan 31, 2012

Then you would probably want the real part of $s$ to be greater than $-1$ so that both ILT exist.

evinda

MHB Site Helper
Apr 13, 2013

Then you would probably want the real part of $s$ to be greater than $-1$ so that both ILT exist.
And how can I explain it,why it should be like that? :confused:

Random Variable

MHB Math Helper
Jan 31, 2012

You can tell by where the LT has singularities.

Otherwise notice that the Laplace transform of $\displaystyle e^{-x}$ is $ \displaystyle \frac{1}{s+1}$.

But $ \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x} e^{-sx} \ dx = \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-(1+s) x} \ dx $ converges only when $s > -1 $.

Similarly the Laplace transform of $e^{-5x}$ is $\displaystyle \frac{1}{s+5}$.

But $ \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-5x} e^{-sx} \ dx = \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-(5+s) x} \ dx $ converges only when $s > -5 $.

So if you want both transforms to exist at the same time, then $s$ should be greater than $-1$.

Last edited:

evinda

MHB Site Helper
Apr 13, 2013

You can tell by where the ILT has singularities.

Otherwise notice that the Laplace transform of $\displaystyle e^{-x}$ is $ \displaystyle \frac{1}{s+1}$.

But $ \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x} e^{-sx} \ dx - \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-(1+s) x} \ dx $ converges only when $s > -1 $.

Similarly the Laplace transform of $e^{-5x}$ is $\displaystyle \frac{1}{s+5}$.

But $ \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-5x} e^{-sx} \ dx - \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-(5+s) x} \ dx $ converges only when $s > -5 $.

So if you want both transforms to exist at the same time, then $s$ (or technically the real part of $s$) should be greater than $-1$.

I understand..thanks for your answer!!And $\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-(1+s) x} \ dx $ is equal to $\left [\frac{e^{-(s+1)x}}{-(s+1)} \right ]_{0}^{M},M\to \infty=\frac{1}{s+1} $ .Right?

Random Variable

MHB Math Helper
Jan 31, 2012
Yes.

And those minus signs in my previous post should be equal signs.

evinda

MHB Site Helper
Apr 13, 2013

evinda

MHB Site Helper
Apr 13, 2013
I have also an other question.Do we conclude that $Y(s)=\frac{1}{4}L\{y_{1}(x)\}+\frac{7}{4}L\{y_{2}(x)\}$ ,or is $\frac{1}{4}L\{y_{1}(x)\}+\frac{7}{4}L\{y_{2}(x)\}$ equal to Y(x) or something else? :confused::confused:

evinda

MHB Site Helper
Apr 13, 2013
I have also an other question.Do we conclude that $Y(s)=\frac{1}{4}L\{y_{1}(x)\}+\frac{7}{4}L\{y_{2}(x)\}$ ,or is $\frac{1}{4}L\{y_{1}(x)\}+\frac{7}{4}L\{y_{2}(x)\}$ equal to Y(x) or something else? :confused::confused:
Or,is it like that $$Y(s)=\frac{1}{4}L\{y_{1}(x)\}+\frac{7}{4}L\{y_{2}(x)\}$$
$$L^{-1}\{Y(s)\}=L^{-1}\{\frac{1}{4}L\{y_{1}(x)\}+\frac{7}{4}L\{y_{2}(x)\}\}$$ ??

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Or,is it like that $$Y(s)=\frac{1}{4}L\{y_{1}(x)\}+\frac{7}{4}L\{y_{2}(x)\}$$
$$L^{-1}\{Y(s)\}=L^{-1}\{\frac{1}{4}L\{y_{1}(x)\}+\frac{7}{4}L\{y_{2}(x)\}\}$$ ??
Let's pick
$$y(x) = \mathcal L^{-1}\{Y(s)\} = \frac{1}{4}\mathcal L^{-1}\left\{\frac 1 {s+1}\right\}+\frac{7}{4}\mathcal L^{-1}\left\{\frac 1 {s+5}\right\}$$

evinda

MHB Site Helper
Apr 13, 2013
Let's pick
$$y(x) = \mathcal L^{-1}\{Y(s)\} = \frac{1}{4}\mathcal L^{-1}\left\{\frac 1 {s+1}\right\}+\frac{7}{4}\mathcal L^{-1}\left\{\frac 1 {s+5}\right\}$$
I understand..Thank you very much!!!! :eek: