Question involving rotational motion

In summary, when the big ring is hanging from the ceiling, if two smaller rings slip down the big ring, then the big ring will move upward if the other net forces are upward.
gaobo9109

Homework Statement

A ring of mass M is hung from the ceiling. At the top of the ring are two smaller rings of mass m. There is no friction between the big and small rings. If two smaller rings slip down the big ring, for what value of m will the big ring move upward. A picture is attached to make the question clearer.

Homework Equations

a = v(sqrt)/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't understand how do all the forces react to give rise to the upward motion of the big ring.

Attachments

• diagram.bmp
    241.6 KB · Views: 501
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi gaobo9109! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: the only forces on the big ring are Mg downwards and the two normal forces, 2N, from the two little rings.

Assuming the big ring is fixed, what is N as a function of height (or of angle), and in which direction? :wink:

But there is still tension force from the rope. And from my understanding, i think that the tension force will vary accordingly when the small rings slip down the big ring. Downward force will always be balanced by upward tension force. How would the big ring actually move upward?

No, you can ignore the tension, because …

when the big ring is in equilibrium, the tension automatically is equal and opposite to the other net downward forces,

but if the other net forces are upward, the tension is zero! :smile:

So all you have to find is whether the other net forces are upward, ie whether the resultant of the forces from the two little rings is greater than Mg. :wink:

Okay i know the general direction to sovlve this question. But half way through the solution, i was stuck.

Here is my working:

let the radius of the big ring be R.

mgR - mgRcosθ = 1/2mv2
mgcosθ - N = mv2/R
v2 = 2gR(1-cosθ)
N = mgcosθ - 2mgR(1-cosθ)/R
= mgcosθ - 2mg(1-cosθ)
= mg(3cosθ-2)

N(small ring on big ring) = mg(2-3cosθ)

I have no idea how to continue from here.

Last edited:
Hi gaobo9109! :smile:
gaobo9109 said:
mgR - mgRcosθ = 1/2mv2
mgcosθ - N = mv2/R
v2 = 2gR(1-cosθ)
N = mgcosθ - 2mgR(1-cosθ)/R
= mgcosθ - 2mg(1-cosθ)
= mg(3cosθ-2)

N(small ring on big ring) = mg(2-3cosθ)

Fine :smile:, except that the PE is mgR - mgRsinθ.

ok, that was good ol' Newton's second law for one of the small rings.

Now you need Newton's second law for the big ring …

when will T be zero? :wink:

yeah I know that. But what I am not sure is how to express the y component of normal force in term of θ.

I don't know at what value of θ will the big ring move up. If θ is less than 90 degree, then below is the equation
2Ncosθ = mg
2mg(2-3cosθ)cosθ = Mg

But if θ is greater than 90 degree, the above equation would not apply.

Yes, so θ can't be greater than 90º (for the big ring to start moving up). :smile:

(don't forget to change that cos θ to sin θ :wink:)

Related to Question involving rotational motion

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or a fixed point. It is a type of motion that involves circular or curved paths.

2. What are some examples of rotational motion?

Some examples of rotational motion include the spinning of a top, the rotation of the Earth on its axis, and the movement of a Ferris wheel.

3. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Rotational motion involves movement around a fixed point, while linear motion involves movement in a straight line. Additionally, rotational motion involves angular velocity and acceleration, while linear motion involves linear velocity and acceleration.

4. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the measure of how fast an object is rotating around an axis. It is typically measured in radians per second.

5. How is rotational motion related to centripetal force?

Rotational motion is related to centripetal force, as centripetal force is what keeps an object moving in a circular path. Without centripetal force, an object would move in a straight line instead of a circular path.