Question in regards to the equilibrium law and expressions

In summary, a chemical equilibrium reaction occurs when the concentration of a particular species in a reaction mixture fluctuates over time. The equilibrium constant is a measure of how much change in concentration will occur over a given time period for a given reaction. The equilibrium constant for the reaction at temperature t is calculated to be 0.0025 mol/L.
walker
Considering the following equilibrium reaction

[tex]A(g) \longleftrightarrow 2B(g) + C(g)[/tex]

And the question:

When 1.00 mol of A is placed in a 4.00 L container at temperature t, the concentration of C at equilibrium is 0.050 mol/L. What is the equilibrium constant for the reaction at temperature t?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this mean that for every x mol of A consumed, 2(C) mol of B is produced and 0.050 mol of C is produced.

For example

We get the number of mols of C within the 4.00 L container:

0.050 mol/L C x 4.00 L = 0.20 mol C

Then we use that number to calculate the number of mols produced and consumed at equilibrium for the other gases:

0.20 mol C x 2 mol B/ 1 mol C = 0.20 x 2 mol B = 0.40 mol B

1.00 mol A - [0.20 mol C x 1 mol A / 1 mol C] = 0.80 mol A

Then for the concentrations at equilibrium:

A = 0.80 mol / 4.00 L = 0.20 mol/L
B = 0.40 mol / 4.00 L = 0.10 mol/L
C = 0.20 mol / 4.00 L = 0.050 mol/L

then the equilibrium constant:

Ke = ^2 [C] / [A]
=[0.10]^2 [0.050] / [0.20]
=0.0025 mol/L

0.0025 mol/L seems like a small number for the equilibrium constant which is why I've come here to see if anyone can check the work I've done and point out any mistakes if there are any. I think I might be making a mistake with the 2B, I'm not sure if I'm handling that properly.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
walker said:
Considering the following equilibrium reaction

[tex]A(g) \longleftrightarrow 2B(g) + C(g)[/tex]

And the question:

When 1.00 mol of A is placed in a 4.00 L container at temperature t, the concentration of C at equilibrium is 0.050 mol/L. What is the equilibrium constant for the reaction at temperature t?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ok. Keq = ^2[C] / [A]

[] of A at equilibrium = .250 - x
[] of C at equilibrium = .050 (+x)
[] of B at equilibrium = .100 (+2x) <- since two moles are being created for every one mole of A.
so now, solve [] of A at equilibrium=> .250 - .050 = .200 M
plug it into the equation Keq..

(.100^2)(.050) / (.200) = Keq
Hope this helped. Corrections to my work wil be nice. Thanks.

walker said:
Does this mean that for every x mol of A consumed, 2(C) mol of B is produced and 0.050 mol of C is produced.

No. It means that for every x mol of A 2x mol of B and x mol of C is produced, just like you have in you reaction equation.

But the rest seems OK. 0.0025 is nothing unusuall.

Chemical calculators for labs and education
BATE - pH calculations, titration curves, hydrolisis

Last edited:

Related to Question in regards to the equilibrium law and expressions

1. What is the equilibrium law?

The equilibrium law, also known as the law of mass action, states that for a chemical reaction at equilibrium, the ratio of the concentrations of the products to the concentrations of the reactants is constant at a given temperature.

2. What is the equilibrium expression?

The equilibrium expression is an equation that represents the ratio of the concentrations of the products and reactants at equilibrium. It is written using the concentrations of the substances involved in the reaction and their respective coefficients in the balanced chemical equation.

3. How is the equilibrium expression derived?

The equilibrium expression is derived from the equilibrium law by writing out the ratio of the concentrations of the products and reactants at equilibrium and simplifying it to a single expression. This expression is then used to calculate the equilibrium constant, which is a measure of how far a reaction proceeds towards products.

4. What is the significance of the equilibrium constant?

The equilibrium constant is a numerical value that indicates the relative amounts of products and reactants present at equilibrium for a given reaction. It provides important information about the direction and extent of a reaction, and can be used to predict the behavior of a reaction under different conditions.

5. How does a change in temperature affect the equilibrium constant?

A change in temperature can affect the equilibrium constant by shifting the equilibrium position either towards the products or the reactants. An increase in temperature generally favors the endothermic reaction, while a decrease in temperature favors the exothermic reaction. This results in a change in the equilibrium constant value for the reaction.