Question how to find acceleration with kinetic friction involved.

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving two climbers, Paul and Steve, where Steve must use a climbing ax to stop them from sliding off the edge of a glacier. The solution for a frictionless scenario is provided, but the question asks about the solution for a scenario with friction. The conversation also asks about the tension in the rope after Steve goes over the edge and the acceleration of each climber in that situation. The coefficient of friction, 0.5, is mentioned and it is clarified that it represents the ratio between the magnitude of the frictional force and the normal force between surfaces.
baird.lindsay

Homework Statement

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/132/81100769.png/][PLAIN]http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/2433/81100769.png[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/PLAIN]

I have a question on part of this problem.

Paul accidentally falls off the edge of a glacier as shown in Fig 4-21 (p 103). He
is tied by a long rope to Steve, who has a climbing ax. Before Steve sets his ax
to stop them, he slides without friction along the ice, attached by the rope to
Paul. Assume no friction between the rope and the glacier. Find the
acceleration of each person and the tension in the rope. (figured this part out already)

Questions: The two climbers each have masses of 110kg each, the coefficient of kinetic friction between steve and the rock is .5 and theta is 15 degrees. If steve has 3.2 meters to reach the edge of the cliff how long till he reaches the cliffs edge. I think I use Δx=1/2at^2?

question. after steve goes over the cliffs edge what is the tension in the rope (have no idea how to do this part)

Homework Equations

these are the solutions for frictionless.
Steve:
ƩS: Fx : T + msg sin = msax
ƩFy : Fn – msg cos = ms · 0

Paul:
ƩP: Fy : T – mpg = may

g(mp + ms sin)
__________________=ax
(ms + mp)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to figure out acceleration when its frictionless , but I don't know how with friction. I am thinking I add the kinetic friction vector opposite direction of tension (to pic above) and when I sum the forces I am subtracting it off (ƩFx: T + mgsintheta - fk) for Steve in the y direction. So this:
g(mp + ms sin)
__________________=ax
(ms + mp)

would be this:
g(mp + ms sin)
__________________-0.5 (kinetic friction)=ax
(ms + mp)

The line is a divison line...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
0.5 is the coefficient of friction. So what is the frictional force opposing motion?

After going over the edge, suppose the tension in the rope is T. What then would be the acceleration of each climber?

haruspex said:
0.5 is the coefficient of friction. So what is the frictional force opposing motion?

kinetic friction is opposing the motion. which is 0.5. So steve in the x direction is: ƩFx: T + mgsintheta - fk) =ma ?
[STRIKE][/STRIKE]

You don't seem to know what is meant by a 'coefficient of friction'. It's the ratio between the magnitude of the frictional force and that of the normal force between the surfaces.
What is the magnitude of the normal force between Steve and the ground?

Your approach is correct. To find the acceleration with friction involved, you need to take into account the kinetic friction force in the equation. So your equation for Steve would be:

ƩS: Fx : T + mgsinθ - μkN = msax

Where μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction and N is the normal force. You can then solve for ax using this equation.

For the second part of the question, after Steve goes over the cliff, the tension in the rope will be equal to the weight of Paul. This is because there is no longer any force acting on the rope, so it will be in equilibrium. So the equation to find the tension would be:

ƩP: Fy: T - mg = 0

Solving for T, you would get:

T = mg

Hope this helps!

Related to Question how to find acceleration with kinetic friction involved.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (numerical value) and direction.

2. How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with a surface. It occurs when two surfaces are moving against each other and is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces.

4. How does kinetic friction affect acceleration?

Kinetic friction acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, slowing it down. This means that if an object is experiencing kinetic friction, its acceleration will decrease, or it may even decelerate and come to a stop.

5. How do you find acceleration when kinetic friction is involved?

To find acceleration when kinetic friction is involved, you can use the formula: a = (F - μk * mg) / m, where a is acceleration, F is the net force acting on the object, μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).